510 Charger

Status
Not open for further replies.
Crap, crap, crap!

My original 510 charger broke today. I have NO idea what I'm going to do now (buy a real pack? I don't know!) but really need advice on GOOD 510 chargers that can be sold to Canada... preferably quickly.

My initial charger came with my first 510 set in 2009 from viecs.com. I was using it on and off but I've now been using it religiously for 2 months. I couldn't find my 510 after a move so I ordered another one from MadVapes.com which came with a corded charger that was a dud (stayed green when plugged in). After informing them that this happened, I ordered ejuice from them and a direct usb charger from them- it worked ONCE. When I removed the ecig, the whole thing fell apart.

So where can I order a charger now? One option is viecs again but I don't know if I was lucky to get a working charger when I did or if they are consistent with giving out working ones. I love Madvapes for their ejuices but their hardware is lacking. This is kind of an emergency. Any help would be appreciated. Thanks!

PS- Would've put this in a Canada forum but I don't have enough posts yet to make it in. *sigh*

vsummer1

Vaping Master
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Aug 3, 2012
California
I am so sorry to hear this happened to you! I don't know what to say about the chargers being DOA except that the vendor should be able to work on this for you.

Do they sell ecigs where you are a the gas stations etc.? Sorry I am of no help here, but at least it is a bump until someone more knowledgeable comes along.

AND WELCOME TO ECF!

Only recently have they started selling no-nic disposable ones in smoke shops. Canada has been a little behind in the times. Even if anyone has advice on how to fix my dud charger that only shows a green light, that would be great! I'm angry that I've done such a great job quitting analogs and my "sobriety" is based on if my hardware works! *sigh*

Vapoor eyes er

ECF Guru
Supporting Member
ECF Veteran
Sep 13, 2011
Toronto, Ont.
Lots of vendors here in Canada. After 5 posts wait 1 hr and request a Cdn Vendors List:
http://www.e-cigarette-forum.com/fo...w-nic-supplier-list-via-pm-only-part-2-a.html
None in Nova Scotia and closest is Montreal.
Good Luck.
P.S. In the Cdn forum you could prolly find someone in your area with a spare 510 charger. Could always post a request and see what happens:
Canada Forum
Good Luck.
P.S. ALL chargers that come with starter kits are generally garbage. I would suggest a spare. Also the kiosks and Irving Gas Stations in Nova Scotia sell PV stuff but it's prolly 808 which wouldn't fit your 510 so I would also suggest getting a 510 to 808 adapter in case this happens again.

ImThatGuy

Ultra Member
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Sep 1, 2012
California
Crap, crap, crap!

My original 510 charger broke today. I have NO idea what I'm going to do now (buy a real pack? I don't know!) but really need advice on GOOD 510 chargers that can be sold to Canada... preferably quickly.

My initial charger came with my first 510 set in 2009 from viecs.com. I was using it on and off but I've now been using it religiously for 2 months. I couldn't find my 510 after a move so I ordered another one from MadVapes.com which came with a corded charger that was a dud (stayed green when plugged in). After informing them that this happened, I ordered ejuice from them and a direct usb charger from them- it worked ONCE. When I removed the ecig, the whole thing fell apart.

So where can I order a charger now? One option is viecs again but I don't know if I was lucky to get a working charger when I did or if they are consistent with giving out working ones. I love Madvapes for their ejuices but their hardware is lacking. This is kind of an emergency. Any help would be appreciated. Thanks!

PS- Would've put this in a Canada forum but I don't have enough posts yet to make it in. *sigh*

Here's a thought...If it stayed green when plugged in while trying to charge your battery...maybe the connections aren't connecting at all? After all, if it's not charing a battery the charger would indicate green. Make sure the connectors are touching each other to make contact to charge. If they're not making contact and it's screwed all the way in, help it by making that connection; use foil, a small piece of washer, etc. to make them connect, or clean the gunk that may have accumulated to prevent a good connection?

I don't know any local vendors there. Have you tried doing a search of local vendors?

Rickajho

ECF Guru
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Apr 23, 2011
Boston MA
Can you shoot us a link to a photo of your charger? I just went through this with someone else using a JoyeTech charger for mini & XL type batteries. On that type of charger the center connection post is spring loaded and his was somewhat stuck. Poking the center post with the tip of a pen a couple times was all it took to get the center post to make contact with batteries again. That only applies to the original JoyeTech 510 type charger.

It's funny, the dud one I got from Madvapes only charges 1 out of 4 510 batts I have. How does that happen??? Only one batt screws in all the way and charges... all 4 batts are the same!

I don't want to go through MadVapes again since they have delivered one charger that broke in half on first use, and this one that is only working on one batt. How do I go about requesting a vendor's form? Is it online vendors only because there's no one in the Maritimes that sells these.

This charger doesn't have anywhere to press down in the middle, unlike my very first one that lasted me a long time that I would have to press down on every once in awhile. This one is just solid and interconnected. :(

Rickajho

ECF Guru
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Apr 23, 2011
Boston MA
On that type of charger there is a rubber o-ring separating the center post from the outer screw thread. There is material behind the center post to put some "give" in it, but not as much as the Joye spring loaded type. Since I don't know what your charger looks like this is just a general fix-it guideline.

Take something like a small jeweler's screwdriver, a pin that you have dulled the point on, real quality tweezers, some people report success using a tooth pick - and apply it to the edge of the center post in the charger. Gently try to lift and wiggle the center post up a bit. Do this from several points around the center post. The goal is to lift the center post back up just a bit. Also, do not try to force or wedge anything down in between the center post and the o-ring to try and life it up - that isn't necessary. If you think you got the post to lift up even slightly try a battery on it again and see if you now have contact.

On that type of charger there is a rubber o-ring separating the center post from the outer screw thread. There is material behind the center post to put some "give" in it, but not as much as the Joye spring loaded type. Since I don't know what your charger looks like this is just a general fix-it guideline.

Take something like a small jeweler's screwdriver, a pin that you have dulled the point on, real quality tweezers, some people report success using a tooth pick - and apply it to the edge of the center post in the charger. Gently try to lift and wiggle the center post up a bit. Do this from several points around the center post. The goal is to lift the center post back up just a bit. Also, do not try to force or wedge anything down in between the center post and the o-ring to try and life it up - that isn't necessary. If you think you got the post to lift up even slightly try a battery on it again and see if you now have contact.

Wow... it worked! Seriously, all 4 of my batteries are charging now! I don't understand why only one of my four worked at first, but your advice saved my immediate fears. Thank you so much, Rickajho!

Rickajho

ECF Guru
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Apr 23, 2011
Boston MA
It's just what it is. These things are pretty well machined, but not to NASA tolerances or something. All it takes is you got one battery where the center connector was slightly longer than the other three. Actually that one battery that would still connect might be the one that was pushing the center connector into the charger the more times you connected it.

One boo boo we see a lot on ECF is overzealous screwing. :blink: People who have a habit of screwing batteries too tightly onto their chargers can develop a problem with their charger not connecting. Or screwing cartos etc. too tightly onto batteries can cause the same problem with cartos no longer making contact and everything stops firing. Finger tight is all you need to connect stuff. If it becomes a two handed operation to unscrew something it's on way tighter than necessary.

LongHaul

Howdy Y'All
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Aug 10, 2012
Bradenton, Florida
This is the post that make me glad as heck that I have a plug in USB pass through that will never go dead....or need recharging great thing to have for a backup check out madvapes if your in need of one....

Sent from my truck using 3 toasters a broken microwave and 6 rubber bands McGyver style......Chuck Norris aint got crap on me

Last edited by a moderator:
Status
Not open for further replies.

Users who are viewing this thread