Charger ruining batteries?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Hell everyone, I am freaking out right now because neither one of my batteries are working. I ordered a madvapes 510 Ego Mega Dual Coil Cartomizer Kit and it came with 2 900 Mah batts, and a usb 420 mah charger. I have had this kit for a few days now and the charger charged both batts with no problem. I charged one and it stopped working, so I sent MadVapes an email and figured I had a dead battery. I then charged my other battery and now having the same issue with the other batt. Has anyone every experienced this? I am kinda new to vaping and I sold my old PV to my brother. I am charging them on my laptop also.

4mehealth

ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Apr 18, 2011
canada
Check the center post of the battery and charger as well. Sometimes, they just don't make contact.

The solution would be to raise the center post in the battery. There used to be a vid on their site (linking to youtube) on how to do it. It's very simple, just get a small screwdriver or tweezers and raise the post a little. Doesn't take much.

Last edited:

swedishfish

Vaping Master
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Dec 28, 2010
NJ
I've never actually charged my batteries using the usb charger, it makes me a little nervous. I almost always use the wall charger to charge batteries. Plus, these are big batteries. It might be worth a try. It seems odd that it would be both batteries, that's why I'm thinking maybe it's the charger.

That really stinks! Good Prophets is in PA and they ship fast. Or you could try Radio Shack. Did you contact Mad Vapes?

swedishfish

Vaping Master
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Dec 28, 2010
NJ
Check the center post of the battery and charger as well. Sometimes, they just don't make contact.

The solution would be to raise the center post in the battery. There used to be a vid on their site (linking to youtube) on how to do it. It's very simple, just get a small screwdriver or tweezers and raise the post a little. Doesn't take much.

I think I remember seeing a video here regarding the dual coil cartos and doing that. I think PBusardo made one.

I've never actually charged my batteries using the usb charger, it makes me a little nervous. I almost always use the wall charger to charge batteries. Plus, these are big batteries. It might be worth a try. It seems odd that it would be both batteries, that's why I'm thinking maybe it's the charger.

That really stinks! Good Prophets is in PA and they ship fast. Or you could try Radio Shack. Did you contact Mad Vapes?

Yeah I sent a ticket in on their help desk. Hopefully I can get them both working again using the wall charger and/or raising the center post (if i can figure it out.) If not MadVapes will hopefully replace them. I just dont know what im going to do with out my nicotine if it comes down to that.

swedishfish

Vaping Master
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Dec 28, 2010
NJ
Last edited:

swedishfish

Vaping Master
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Dec 28, 2010
NJ
Madvapes should take care of you, reputable vendor. In the meantime possible a pack
of the nicotine gum to smooth out the rough spots. I used it with my early e-cigs that I
couldn't get enough vapor out of to satisfy my nic cravings..

Do you know how to pull up the center pin on an ego battery? I've been searching and can't find anything.

swedishfish

Vaping Master
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Dec 28, 2010
NJ
I found this-

What tends to happen is the center pin on the battery gets depressed too far, especially if using cartos or if an atty is screwed on too tight. The battery is probably fine, just that center pin needs pulling up, it looks a little like a screw head, you should be able to get a pin UNDER the head and pull it up, corner by corner. This should bring it closer to the charger center pin. This solves virtually all battery problems.

UncleChuck

Ultra Member
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Apr 20, 2011
Portland
I would bet money it's the connection, not the batteries being dead.

Some say to raise the battery post, others say raise the carto's post. Personally, I raised the carto's post on the ones I had an issue with. Why? Because I also have attys that I use with my eGo batteries. If I raise the battery post, then every time I use an atty it presses the battery post back down again. It's a hassle to fiddle with it every time I use an atty instead of the cartos.

But, if you just raise the post on the carto, then it will work regardless.

It's very simple, look into the carto's battery connection. There is the center post, it has a hole in the center, and a notch on either side (looks like the notch for a flat-head screwdriver) All you need to do, is pull this part UP so it extends far enough down to touch the connector on the battery.

You can use tweezers, just be careful and grab the post, and pull it up a little bit. Do not twist it, or else you could mess up the wires or the coil on the inside of the carto.

Once you take a look at the post, it should be easy to figure out what you have to do. I don't know what tools you have at your disposal, but you should have something capable of grabbing onto the center battery post.

One more thing, make sure the post is centered. You do not want the center post touching the outside ring, as this will short the battery out.

Hope this helps.

UncleChuck

Ultra Member
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Apr 20, 2011
Portland
I don't think there is any issue with the connection between the battery and the charger, at least that I have heard of. I'd bet his batteries are charged, but the mega carto just isn't getting the power from the battery, because the center post isn't making contact.

I have attached a quick MS Paint image of the problem area on the carto. The blue post in the picture is the part that you need "pull" out a little bit (NOT all the way!) so that it sticks out further from the carto, so that it can reach the connection on the battery.

Attachments

• emdcc.jpg
    emdcc.jpg
    3.5 KB · Views: 10

swedishfish

Vaping Master
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Dec 28, 2010
NJ
I don't think there is any issue with the connection between the battery and the charger, at least that I have heard of. I'd bet his batteries are charged, but the mega carto just isn't getting the power from the battery, because the center post isn't making contact.

I have attached a quick MS Paint image of the problem area on the carto. The blue post in the picture is the part that you need "pull" out a little bit (NOT all the way!) so that it sticks out further from the carto, so that it can reach the connection on the battery.

Thank you so much for doing that! I think you're probably right!

UPDATE: Well I apologize not responding sooner to any of these posts (had to get some sleep for work.) Both of my batts are now operating just fine. Some do not make a connection to one or two of the cartos so that was one of my issues (which seems to be and easy fix.) I have also started a using a wall charger and that fixed my problem. No need to feel bad though swedish everything seems to be working fine on my end, this kit is outstanding besides the few speed bumps i have ran into. Thank you all!

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users who are viewing this thread