510 USB passthrough

Status
Not open for further replies.

rsngfrce

ECF Veteran
OK... both my wife and I have the Janty passthrough with the Janty battery. On BOTH of these passthroughs, when they are disconnected from the USB, you push the battery button and get a relatively weak drag... push the battery button again, get NOTHING... push the battery button again, get a relatively weak drag... push the battery button again, get NOTHING. When plugged in, they seem work fine...

Do we both have defective batteries? Are our batteries not getting charged properly? I find it very strange that both passthroughs have EXACTLY the same problem? :confused:

(Or have I misunderstood something and does this passthrough only work when plugged in, despite having a battery?)

Last edited:

Sar

ECF Veteran
Mar 27, 2009
New York, NY
Does the passthrough work without the battery inside?

What kind of battery is it? If it is the type that is used for e-cig, doesn't it have only 200 or so re-charges?

OK... both my wife and I have the Janty passthrough with the Janty battery. On BOTH of these passthroughs, when they are disconnected from the USB, you push the battery button and get a relatively weak drag... push the battery button again, get NOTHING... push the battery button again, get a relatively weak drag... push the battery button again, get NOTHING. When plugged in, they seem work fine...

Do we both have defective batteries? Are our batteries not getting charged properly? I find it very strange that both passthroughs have EXACTLY the same problem? :confused:

(Or have I misunderstood something and does this passthrough only work when plugged in, despite having a battery?)

heathmcse

ECF Veteran
Dec 4, 2008
Roanoke VA

im having the same results with mine too

rsngfrce

ECF Veteran
Aren't you supposed to fully charge these batteries before you start to use the passthrough?

Well... I have to answer that with questions...

How do you charge these batteries? Do they charge when plugged into the USB? That doesn't seem to be happening with the two I have... may be related to what they are plugged in to, not sure yet...

How do you know they are fully charged, or charged at all? There is no LED or any other indication that they are charged.

Even when plugged in, my wife says the passthrough is much weaker than the battery and in my limited experience, I have to agree so far.

I've ordered a battery charger and a couple more batteries from DealExtreme, so if I ever receive them, we'll see if that makes a difference. (Also ordered a multimeter so I can test these things!)

Nicfits

Moved On
ECF Veteran
Mar 9, 2009
Texas
www.e-smokers-forum.com
rsngfrce,
Are you plugging them into a USB 2.0 port? 2.0 ports are the ones you need to use. I don't think the 1.0 USB ports put out any power, or at least not enough to do any good. I know I have gotten them mixed up in the past, as my computers have both.

When I use my USB direct passthroughs, (No inline Battery) I plug it into a USB 2.0 hub, that has it own power supply. The hub is plugged into a known 2.0 port on my computer. I prefer to use this direct passthrough with a 120volt USB wall plug adaptor. For me, it seems to work better that way.

I was mostly just wondering if these passthroughs with the inline battery will work prior to being fully charged while plugged into a USB 2.0 port, or if it is best to wait until it is charged.

Sar

ECF Veteran
Mar 27, 2009
New York, NY
Ok I think I'm missing something here. If I need a battery and it needs to be charged.
What's the point of the passthrough?

I am as puzzled about this as you are. Is it possible that the USB alone doesn't produce enough power to keep the 510 going? I have USB passthroughs for both 801 and 901, and neither one needs a battery.

Last edited:

Sar

ECF Veteran
Mar 27, 2009
New York, NY
The battery and the circuit board are there to protect the USB port on your computer. It's also there so you can unplug and vape for a few hours. It uses a CR10440 battery which is the battery used for E-Cigars and the Janty Stick.
Thank you for the information!!! I was not able to find many details online. I didn't know that the other USB passthroughs could damage the computer. I have a plug from Kensignton portable battery that lets me plug the USB to power outlet so that may be better than plugging it to the computer.

But with the 510, the passthrough will only work while the battery works, right? These types of batteries, however, allow only certain finite number of recharges. If I keep this passthrough plugged in most of the day and use it to vape, isn't the battery constantly re-charging and thus reducing its lifespan?

Techno

ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Mar 23, 2009
Fort Pierce, FL
I think its probably the battery's. Last week I received 4 Ultrafire 10440 battery's and a trustfire charger from deal extreme to use in 2 Nicostick mods I built (1 for 901 and 1 for 510) I charged them for 6 hours each and get like 3 good hits from each battery,Thinking I had a bad charger I modded a 901 USB charger for them and get exactly the same result. I am forced to conclude that received 4 bad batterys.These are blue labled Ultrafire TR10440
600mAh 3.6 volt. Im wondering if there was a bad run.

KreeL

ECF Veteran
Apr 9, 2009
West Texas
Thank you for the information!!! I was not able to find many details online. I didn't know that the other USB passthroughs could damage the computer. I have a plug from Kensignton portable battery that lets me plug the USB to power outlet so that may be better than plugging it to the computer.

But with the 510, the passthrough will only work while the battery works, right? These types of batteries, however, allow only certain finite number of recharges. If I keep this passthrough plugged in most of the day and use it to vape, isn't the battery constantly re-charging and thus reducing its lifespan?

I think it will last a lot longer than you realize. The battery never really drains all the much because it is continuously topped off. Batteries decline in usefulness because they are always being drained and charged, drained and charged, drained and charged...well, you get the idea.

KreeL

ECF Veteran
Apr 9, 2009
West Texas
I got one of these:

dualadapter.jpg

From here - USB Power Adapter

Top of the page. Less than $4 shipped.

This isn't a battery pack, but it saves a USB port and gives me consistant voltage with my non-inlinebattery 801 passthrough. It runs my 510 passthrough at the same time (two ports).

I can vape out of both sides of my mouth. :)

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users who are viewing this thread