510 USB passthrough

Status
Not open for further replies.

rsngfrce

ECF Veteran
Well, both of the Janty passthoughs I have still seem to be crap! I got some UltraFire batteries and an external charger but that doesn't seem to help. I've tested the batteries with a multimeter (far from an expert at this) and they seem to be charged. Still get WEAK performance and the passthrough seems to be cutoff every alternating button push... :-x Am I the only one finding these passthroughs useless?

Shadowdr

ECF Veteran
Apr 11, 2009
Nashville Tn.
Well, both of the Janty passthoughs I have still seem to be crap! I got some UltraFire batteries and an external charger but that doesn't seem to help. I've tested the batteries with a multimeter (far from an expert at this) and they seem to be charged. Still get WEAK performance and the passthrough seems to be cutoff every alternating button push... :-x Am I the only one finding these passthroughs useless?
Pluged into a computer, yes. I have a usb charger for my phone that plugs into a wall socket or a cigarette lighter, it has an output stated at 5volts@ 200ma. It runs fine on that charger but will barely produce smoke on the computer. The regular manual batteries work fine and the battery from the passthrough worked fine on my Nicostick when I first got it but it will not work on my Nicostick now. I thought my atty was dying yesterday or that maybe my juice was bad when I got home and tried some new juice that arrived. Now I could swear that it worked fine off the computer when I first got it and would also work unpluged but not anymore.

Sar

ECF Veteran
Mar 27, 2009
New York, NY
Pluged into a computer, yes. I have a usb charger for my phone that plugs into a wall socket or a cigarette lighter, it has an output stated at 5volts@ 200ma. It runs fine on that charger but will barely produce smoke on the computer. ...
I have a similar experience. Although my passthrough works plugged into the computer, when I connect it to my Kingston power pack I get much better throat hit and more vapor. The Kingston box doesn't say how many volts the output is, it only states 1.00A Max.

franklyspeaking

Ultra Member
ECF Veteran
Mar 17, 2009
Arlington, Texas
www.pharceapp.com
Overall I'm not that impressed with the pass-through. For one, you aren't getting 5 volts, the battery is keeping it in check at 3.7 volts so it's just the same experience/performance I get out of my batteries. Additionally it is plagued with a crappy switch. If you over tighten the atomizer (which I seem to easily do repeatedly) the switch shifts and causes it to only engage about 50% of the time. I really want to see what a 510 does at 5 volts. For now that means waiting on the prodigy with the adapter. I'm also interested in the adapter for the Janty Stick, I know it is basically a pass-through in a box but the JS outperforms any penstyle I have.

Sar

ECF Veteran
Mar 27, 2009
New York, NY
... I really want to see what a 510 does at 5 volts. For now that means waiting on the prodigy with the adapter. I'm also interested in the adapter for the Janty Stick, I know it is basically a pass-through in a box but the JS outperforms any penstyle I have.

That is the main reason why I want Prodigy too. Unfortunately on the puresmoker site the only models that are available for pre-order are 801 and 901. That makes me think that 510 version/adapter will not be part of the first Prodigy batch and we'll need to wait (much?) longer for that. That is really too bad.

Janty Stick didn't have 510 adapter either last time I checked, but someone on this forum announced that there will be one (eventually).

I'll probably get whichever becomes available first for 510.

Shadowdr

ECF Veteran
Apr 11, 2009
Nashville Tn.
So a USB hub has software or external power to bypass the 100Ma limit inposed on the USB 2.0 standard? Even though I know computers pretty well I have always had enough USB outlets on my motherboards that I have never had to look into a hub before. It may also have the two data connections shorted(as most power only devices do)so that 150Ma max is the only power available unless data cables from device request more.

After having plugged into a lighter or 120 volt adapter during the day, it works fine for a while plugged into the computer but after a few hours it goes back to not working so well. I am guessing that it is still running off of the battery even connected to the computer which can only trickle charge the battery and not actually power the device.

ThreeDogDad

Apr 23, 2009

I have two Janty passthoughs as well, neither of them work. I e mailed Janty, don't get me started... :evil: as this has been going on about a month. I was told they usually don't have issues.. I am going to purchase a Titan next week. I will keep my kissbox as a back up.
So no your not the only one. I can't get mine to work from the PC, the car or the wall outlet.

Elfod

ECF Veteran
Apr 28, 2009
TN, USA
I have a 510 passthrough that only is maybe 75% output compared to a charged battery.
I have tried it on 3 computer USB's and an AC USB supply rated at 2 amps.
My opinion is that the 4 feet of tiny wire, from the battery to the switch cannot handle the current load of the atomizer. 1 amp of current at 3.7 volts is asking an awful lot from that size wire. The voltage drop is probably pretty good. So the atomizer does not heat as it should.
This could be fixed by replacing the wire or moving the battery closer to the switch. If one is so inclined.
Some design engineer didn't do the right calculations when they designed this unit-- or some guy in acounting said use smaller wire--less expensive.

need_2quit

ECF Veteran
Apr 5, 2009
usa
I got my PT from Widow with the inline battery. Widows Bead Work - charge

I precharged the battery before use using a a/c to usb wall outlet. It does hold a charge if you unplug it so you can still vape. Not as long as a regular battery, but it works fine for awhile.

Plugged it into my computer and I'm not sure which USB on here is the main one, but it was about the same, maybe slightly less vapor than the wall outlet. Hard to say.

I bought it to prevent wearing out my batteries with recharges. My batteries are only for when I'm out. This way I don't have to keep buying batteries. Just have to remember to keep the cart or atty juiced up and I'm good to go with the PT.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users who are viewing this thread