5v PT for LR DC Cartro's - Where can I get a good one?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Antidevil

ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Sep 11, 2009
Pittsburgh
At 5-6v you might want the higher ohm DC cartos that run two 4 ohms. They actually work pretty well. As for a good place to get a 5v passthrough, there's a few on Madvapes as mentioned. Just make sure you get the right plug adapter for it. The one time I used a PT, it didn't want to stay on for longer than a second or two both through my PC and the USB wall adapters I had. I just gave up on it eventually.

AttyPops

Vaping Master
ECF Veteran
Jul 8, 2010
Hc Svnt Dracones - USA EST
A DCC of 1.6 ohms (2 x 3.2 ohm coils) pulls 3.125 amps at 5 volts. You'll want to search for a charging hub or something that can go over 3 amps.

As to the device.... many of the PT's will think that they are shorted at that amperage and cut out. Or like mentioned above, bite the bullet and just make one. See the modder's section for more info. Make sure you use a high-amp button or high-amp mosfet. You'd want 5 amps at least to de-rate the part properly, I would guess. Maybe someone knows of a factory made direct-PT that doesn't cut out, but I can't name one offhand.

Many people that are using the DCC's are just under powering them. lol. So they won't really know the difference since they have never used them on a PT that could put out the amps. Some mods can, using IMR batteries, for example. From what I have read, many people have issues with the 5v mod's mosfet cutting-out/frying tho so that varies by device too. Check the specs for amp ratings if you go the mod route. Also, note that a true 5 volts with enough amps even using a single (non-DCC) 3.0 ohm atty/carto gives plenty of hit with fewer concerns of frying the device. So at a true 5 volts (with enough amps), you may not really need a DCC to begin with (but only you can tell for sure).

Maybe you're after a "cooler vape"... in which case a 3.0 amp supply may work.... voltage will suffer and you won't be at a true 5 volts (4.8 ish actually depending on the supply). Similarly a 2.0 amp supply ends up being around 3.2 volts if I calculated properly, give or take a bit for "pushing it".

Good Luck!

Last edited:

Rockproof

ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Nov 27, 2010
PA
Thanks all for suggestions.

AttyPops,

I am running the 1.5ohm DC's now on my VV DIY mods with ORK-T regulators. Have the VV's set at between 5 and 5.2v. Would just like to have something I can plug in at my desk so I'm not chewing through batts. Thanks for your advice. Looks like I'm gonna be building a DIY passthrough...

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users who are viewing this thread