Status
Not open for further replies.

Katcandoo

Supporting Member
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
May 4, 2013
Georgia , USA
This post is not about getting congrats. It's to let people know that quitting smoking is not easy - but it's very possible! And to encourage them to take that step to vaping, or if they have and are struggling-keep at it!

I actually didn't quit for myself. I started smoking at 15. I didn't want to quit 30 years later. Had no intention. All avenues I tried had failed. I was resigned to smoking until I slowly killed myself.

The specific moment was like a lightning bolt. It came out of nowhere, and was from a conversation I overheard while standing in line at a Walgreens drugstore. I don't remember what I was purchasing. It wasn't cigarettes, I had a full unopened carton at home. The woman in line in front of me was buying nicotine gum with a coupon (it's crazy expensive!), but the item she had didn't qualify for the coupon. She was very upset. She told the cashier her husband was trying to quit smoking. The cashier, a teenage boy, said he understood. His mother was trying to quit, and it hurt him so much because he loved her and wanted to have her in his life for a long time. I had 3 teenagers and a husband at home that hated my smoking.

I remembered reading a blog online about his transition to e-cigarettes. When it was my turn, I bought an e-cigarette from behind the counter. They were old school! Thin with a blue light at the end that lit up. Three flavors. Lol! Unknown mgs. I ordered a beginner set up online that night. It arrived 3 days later, and I haven't touched a cigarette since.

Today marks 6 years since I put down my last cigarette and picked up (what is now obsolete) that vape pen. Without it, I could never have kicked a 30 year, pack a day, Marlboro addiction. Even though I started at 18 mg (went up briefly to 24 mg), I still went through withdrawal for more than a week. Sheesh, I was a witch! I can't thank my family, friends, and coworkers enough for putting up with me. This experience cemented why I know the withdrawal is NOT from nicotine; it's from the other chemicals added to cigarettes to keep people addicted and keep the tax cash coming.

Just to demonstrate the depths of my smoking addiction; I sold that that carton of cigarettes. But I carried around an unopened pack and lighter with me at all times just in case for 2 years. Before I quit, I had cigs stashed EVERYWHERE for emergencies. In my bathroom makeup drawer; in my kitchen cabinets; center console of our cars; my desk drawer at work; the employee kitchen at work; and in a ceramic statue on my bookshelf at work. I was still finding them well after I quit.

To this day, I still smoke in my dreams. I'm conscious in my dreams that I don't smoke! I know I have my vape. But in my dreams it's sooo much easier to light that cigarette.

The struggle is real. But I have to say, I'm sure I will never smoke another cigarette, thanks to vaping.

Rossum

Eleutheromaniac
Supporting Member
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Dec 14, 2013
SE PA
^^^ Hazel approves of his message.

gf08uQY.jpg

This post is not about getting congrats. It's to let people know that quitting smoking is not easy - but it's very possible! And to encourage them to take that step to vaping, or if they have and are struggling-keep at it!

I actually didn't quit for myself. I started smoking at 15. I didn't want to quit 30 years later. Had no intention. All avenues I tried had failed. I was resigned to smoking until I slowly killed myself.

The specific moment was like a lightning bolt. It came out of nowhere, and was from a conversation I overheard while standing in line at a Walgreens drugstore. I don't remember what I was purchasing. It wasn't cigarettes, I had a full unopened carton at home. The woman in line in front of me was buying nicotine gum with a coupon (it's crazy expensive!), but the item she had didn't qualify for the coupon. She was very upset. She told the cashier her husband was trying to quit smoking. The cashier, a teenage boy, said he understood. His mother was trying to quit, and it hurt him so much because he loved her and wanted to have her in his life for a long time. I had 3 teenagers and a husband at home that hated my smoking.

I remembered reading a blog online about his transition to e-cigarettes. When it was my turn, I bought an e-cigarette from behind the counter. They were old school! Thin with a blue light at the end that lit up. Three flavors. Lol! Unknown mgs. I ordered a beginner set up online that night. It arrived 3 days later, and I haven't touched a cigarette since.

Today marks 6 years since I put down my last cigarette and picked up (what is now obsolete) that vape pen. Without it, I could never have kicked a 30 year, pack a day, Marlboro addiction. Even though I started at 18 mg (went up briefly to 24 mg), I still went through withdrawal for more than a week. Sheesh, I was a witch! I can't thank my family, friends, and coworkers enough for putting up with me. This experience cemented why I know the withdrawal is NOT from nicotine; it's from the other chemicals added to cigarettes to keep people addicted and keep the tax cash coming.

Just to demonstrate the depths of my smoking addiction; I sold that that carton of cigarettes. But I carried around an unopened pack and lighter with me at all times just in case for 2 years. Before I quit, I had cigs stashed EVERYWHERE for emergencies. In my bathroom makeup drawer; in my kitchen cabinets; center console of our cars; my desk drawer at work; the employee kitchen at work; and in a ceramic statue on my bookshelf at work. I was still finding them well after I quit.

To this day, I still smoke in my dreams. I'm conscious in my dreams that I don't smoke! I know I have my vape. But in my dreams it's sooo much easier to light that cigarette.

The struggle is real. But I have to say, I'm sure I will never smoke another cigarette, thanks to vaping.
I keep going back and forth between vaping and smoking. However, when you mentioned the chemicals we are addicted to, not the nicotine, a light went off. No wonder I'm having a hard time putting the cigarettes down. Chemicals huh? Well I've got to try harder I guess. Thanks for the information. And thank you for your testimony about quitting. I found it very encouraging. God Bless

ENAUD

Resting In Peace
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Jul 23, 2013
Bordertown of ProVariland and REOville
:toast: OK so I won't Congrat you ;)
I kept a pack of cigs for four years tucked away in the cupboard, lol, I tossed them finally when we moved, they were a kind of security blanket for me, knowing they were there if needed, thanks for reminding me of that. :thumbs:

ricks

Vaping Master
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Jan 11, 2011
Moscow PA

Is that your dog in the Pic?

Attachments

• 16426751_1230271287028219_1156286228_n.jpg
    16426751_1230271287028219_1156286228_n.jpg
    61.9 KB · Views: 7
Reactions: Katcandoo
Status
Not open for further replies.

Users who are viewing this thread