9 volt rechargeable battery for 510 mod?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Vadim

ECF Veteran
Mar 29, 2010
Brooklyn, NY
Posted Today at 03:33 AM by Vadim
3.7v standard 510 batty = 180 mAh (OK for short time)
3.7v mega batty 510 = 280 mAh (a bit better)
3.7v 10440 batty = 320 mAh (lasts a bit longer than 280 mAh)
But all of the above work at 3.7 volts.
Well what about a 9 volt rechargeable battery, why can’t this work?
Hitech 9V 2 Bank Smart Charger with 2 9V Lithium Ion Batteries: BatteryMart.com
Ok so maybe 600mAh is not a lot of stored charge, but it should work, no?
I used 2 x 10440 3.7 protected rechargeable battys fully charged @ 4.1v each and stacked them together to get 8.2v.
Attached some wires to then and my 510 2.2 ohm atty and let me tell you it was a blast for about 1hr.
That is till one of my 10440 protected battys drained to 0% and now this one is completely dead.
This was a test run for me so I will not cry over one dead battery, over all it was a success to vape between 8.2v down to about 6.5v until one battery died.
Not sure if stacking 10440 protected batteries caused one to die.
Anyway the big question still is, can this be done using a 9 volt rechargeable battery?
I am sure a 9v. would fit nicely in a small mod box.
Any thoughts on this idea are welcome.
Best Regards,

Attachments

• 9volt.jpg
    9volt.jpg
    6.8 KB · Views: 65

SurvivorMcGyver

Ol' Timer
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
keveck: A higher resistance atty will actually REDUCE the amp draw which adds to the battery life. And depending on the atty it may taste burnt but a custom HV atty WILL produce Fabulous flavor AND vapor at 9V+ ;) (I have proof)

Now to the OP: If your using stock atty's you would probably need/want to tone down the voltage a bit (lots of thread on that found here) or go to a custom built atty (great threads her on that as well) .

And to answer your Question: Yes :) it is possible. I've been waiting for a higher output 9V. The best I have found so far was here but they never responded to e-mails and the charger was still in development so I gave up. But with your find it seems we are seeing a bit of improvement here.

I caution you though -- One needs to understand the test method used to determine the Mah and the actual c-rate of the battery before a decision is made to "go forward". Just a hint, as it is is VERY easy to invest in something that winds up to be a futile effort -- believe me......

Dig for details and design from specs

Good luck

5cardstud

ECF Guru
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Jan 1, 2010
Wash
I can't even vape at 6 volt without getting burnt taste a lot of the time. If you could regulate it down it would be better and very important , are these batteries protected batteries. I got 2 cr2 unprotected brand new I paid $17.00 for I can't give away cause their not protected cells. It is a good idea and I hope it works out.

Vadim

ECF Veteran
Mar 29, 2010
Brooklyn, NY
To:keveck
thank you for your input.

To:SurvivorMcGyver
I knew it could work! So far only 9v rechargeable battery I found is NOT protected and is only 600mAh. Like you said with a HV atty it should prolong the life of the battery charge.
After trying the 7.5v vaping during my first test I fell in love with how easy it was within 3 seconds to get tons of very warm vapor and I actually think the flavor was better than on my 3.7v 510 battery.
I will do as much research as possible and keep an eye out on 9volt rechargeables.
Hopefully someone will create a protective 1000mAh 9volt soon.
Just can't get it out of my head.:rolleyes:

Thanks SurvivorMcGyver!:thumb:

Vadim

ECF Veteran
Mar 29, 2010
Brooklyn, NY
I can't even vape at 6 volt without getting burnt taste a lot of the time. If you could regulate it down it would be better and very important , are these batteries protected batteries. I got 2 cr2 unprotected brand new I paid $17.00 for I can't give away cause their not protected cells. It is a good idea and I hope it works out.

5cardstud at these high voltages with a 3.0 or 3.5 resistance atty's it more resembles smoking not vaping (to me).
In my opinion your inhaling drag only needs to last about 3 to 4 seconds and tons of vapor comes out and I mean TONS. That is why at least to me it resembles real smoking. With my 510 3.7 manual battery (4.1 of the charger) I need to vape, I will take 2 to 4 drags to produce almost same amount as with say 7 to 9 volt battery with 1 drag for 3 seconds.

To each his own and for me it will be 6 volts and above, just need to now learn all I can on this subject.

Thanks guys.

5cardstud

ECF Guru
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Jan 1, 2010
Wash
5cardstud at these high voltages with a 3.0 or 3.5 resistance atty's it more resembles smoking not vaping (to me).
In my opinion your inhaling drag only needs to last about 3 to 4 seconds and tons of vapor comes out and I mean TONS. That is why at least to me it resembles real smoking. With my 510 3.7 manual battery (4.1 of the charger) I need to vape, I will take 2 to 4 drags to produce almost same amount as with say 7 to 9 volt battery with 1 drag for 3 seconds.

To each his own and for me it will be 6 volts and above, just need to now learn all I can on this subject.

Thanks guys.
Ya your right and thats what I am always working towards that vaping as close to smoking experience. I can't get these things to let enough air through. I was just quoting my experience. By no means give up or think I'm against what your doing. Thats what makes modding so great is everyone has input from their way of doing things and I am interested in what you are doing. You might be the guy who figures this whole thing out. Keep up the modding and good luck and thanks for the find.

Vadim

ECF Veteran
Mar 29, 2010
Brooklyn, NY

Connman: read the link, thank you for the info.
I also looked at your mods, very nice. How did you build the 5v NicoMod or rather which 5 volt regulator did you use? Is it hard to do and how does it hook up?
I just finished my first NicoMod out of a 4AAA box, used 2x10440 protected 3.7 volt batteries, 510 atty and switch.
But what I really wanted to build was same type box but with adding the voltage from both batteries 8.2v and regulating down to about 6V.

Any way you can help out with some info on how can combine the voltage from 2 protected batteries?

Thank you,

Vadim

ECF Veteran
Mar 29, 2010
Brooklyn, NY
ooops I meant to link the 9v I was ACTUALLY looking at here 15C dicharge rate at 2.7 Amps - 200 Mah -

SurvivorMcGyver: Just so I get a better understanding, would you know what tha C-rate of discharge and Amps would be of a 510 battery?
510 battery 180mAh or 280mAh should have same C-rate of discharge and Amps, right?
From what I understand 1C-rate of discharge is too small?

thanks

Connman

ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Dec 6, 2009
North Florida, USA
Hello Vadim,
That was just some stuff in the link I find a bit concerning with the things we don`t consider at times. I`m not into the figuring it out part much not being a chemist or anything but do read the forum a bunch and gather stuff like that in my head.

I just finished helping a forum member in building a 5 Volt mod. It`s actually kind of simple with the right pieces to stick together. I use the 5 pin regulator from Madvapes and it has been working great so far with the 3 amp switch I have on it.

5 Volt Regulator with Control Pin

I do it a little different then EZ Dozit but that`s just due to the batteries stay side by side. Actually depends on where you want the switch I suppose.

EZ Dozit`s How to thread here on ECF
http://www.e-cigarette-forum.com/fo...mall-5v-triple-box-microswitch-using-pcb.html

This regulator is reported to like always be on if the main kill switch is on so it needs to be turned off when not in use. I added a 2 LED setup to mine one working for main power switch the other works with the vape switch.

Something that makes this project very easy if you can solder is the PC Board here.

PC Board
Project-Circuit-Board
At the moment they are out of stock but are on order for getting more.

I`d be happy to help you do one if you need it PM me your E-mail addy.

As far as going to 6 Volts all I know is the two CR123 batteries being used. Would think there is a regulator for this but can`t recall ever seeing one mentioned. Basically using 2 times 3 volt batteries to get the 6 Volt can be done with the batteries below..

Here CR123A
OR
Here CR215270

SurvivorMcGyver

Ol' Timer
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
SurvivorMcGyver: Just so I get a better understanding, would you know what tha C-rate of discharge and Amps would be of a 510 battery?
510 battery 180mAh or 280mAh should have same C-rate of discharge and Amps, right?
From what I understand 1C-rate of discharge is too small?

thanks

I wish I had the answer to that but I don't. Haven't quite got set up with the data logging need to evaluate it and the Mfg doesn't provide that info (that I know of -- Manufacturers data is ussually a good source of info but sometimes it's "inflated" - depending on the test method - so watch out in that area)

{edit} My analysis tools consist of a couple of WU100's and several multimeters -- The WU100's seem to trip the circuitry in the 510's right out of the gate. Guess I need to invest in a good scope :(

Perhaps Scottbe could help us in this area.

Scottie?? Beam me to your Boat -- we'll analize :)

Last edited:

Vadim

ECF Veteran
Mar 29, 2010
Brooklyn, NY
Thank you Connman for all the info,

Looks like I have tons of reading and learning ahead of me, that's cool.:thumbs:
5.v setup looks real nice and clean, bit over my knowledge, but will try. :rolleyes:
PC board is used because the 10440 batts are UN-Protected?

The Protected 16340/RCR123A 3.0 V Lithium Ion Batteries, if using them for 6v. wonder if I may bypass using PC board?
That would make things easier, it would be same setup as 5v. minus the PC board and regulator.

But if 16340 Protected will work then why couldn't I just use what I have now, the 10440 Protected?

Thanks Connman,

Let me go do some testing before the wife screams Go To Sleep! :)

Vadim

ECF Veteran
Mar 29, 2010
Brooklyn, NY
Thank you SurvivorMcGyver,

I found this info which kind of explains the discharge on a 10440 protected batty which I used 2 x 10440 stacked to get 8.2v to start until one just died.:oops:
If I understand this right, looks like discharge rate is C5, so there for a 9v. rechargeable batty would also need to have a C5 rating in order to satisfy the atty and produce desired vapor.

TYPE -------------------------------------------------- CYLINDRICAL
MODEL ----------------------------------------------- LC10440
SPECIFICATION----------------------------------- 10440
Nominal voltage ------------------------------------ 3.7V
Weight approx. ------------------------------------- 12g
C5mAh------------------------------------------------ 350mAh
Charge voltage------------------------------------- 4.200±0.049V
Minimum discharge end voltage-------------- 2.75V
Maximum charge voltage----------------------- 4.20V
Maximum continuous charge current-------- 350mA
Maximum continuous discharge current---- 700mA
Dimension (including shrink sleeve/label)
Diameter
[FONT="],[/FONT][/COLOR][COLOR=black]d --------------------------------------- 10.0±0.2mm
height[/COLOR][COLOR=black][FONT="],[/FONT]
h -------------------------------------------- 44.0±0.5mm
Capacity (20oC, 0.2 C5 to 2.75V)
Minimum capacity--------------------------------- 320mAh
Internal impedance
[FONT="]([/FONT][/COLOR][COLOR=black]20[/COLOR][COLOR=black][FONT="]℃[/FONT]±5[FONT="]℃[/FONT][/COLOR][COLOR=black][FONT="])[/FONT]-----------[FONT="]<[/FONT][/COLOR][COLOR=black]110mΩ
Charge conditions (20[/COLOR][COLOR=black][FONT="]℃[/FONT]
±5[FONT="]℃[/FONT][/COLOR][COLOR=black])[/COLOR][COLOR=black]
Standard charge---------------------------------- 0.5ItmA CC/CV
Fast charge---------------------------------------- 1ItmA CC/CV
Operation conditions (recommended[/COLOR][COLOR=black][FONT="])[/FONT]

Storage Temperature----------------------------(15-35
[FONT="]℃[/FONT][/COLOR][COLOR=black])[/COLOR][COLOR=black]
Relative humidity ----------------------------------(45-75%)
Pressure ---------------------------------------------(86-106KPa)
Discharge------------------------------------------- -20-60[/COLOR][COLOR=black][FONT="]℃[/FONT]

Standard charge----------------------------------- 0-45
[FONT="]℃[/FONT]

Vadim

ECF Veteran
Mar 29, 2010
Brooklyn, NY
Update:
1 x AAA box\switch
2 x 10440 protected battys both fully charged total voltage @8.2
1 x 510 atty old, 3.7v 510 battery will not power it up, 3.0 ohm

Worked well, had to keep juicing the atty as it got HOT really fast. Was carefully not over heat.
8.2v is way to much for a standard atty, need to get some HV attys.

Idea:
1 x box\switch (not sure what size, will be based on battery size)
2 x Protected 16340 Lithium Ion Battery, 880mAH, 3.0 volts = 6volts
1 x HV atty
I think this should be a good 6 volt mod.

Anyone knows a supplier for good HV attys?
Protected 16340 is = size C batteries?
Protected 16340 = 3.7v or 3.0v? maybe old model is 3.0v, new 3.7v?
In my case for combining the voltage I would go with 2 x 3.0v = 6.0v

Different suppliers, different voltages for same batty, or am I missing something.

DealExtreme: $5.08 Ultrafire 3.6V 880mAh LC 16340 Protected CR123A Battery 2-Pack

Protected 16340/RCR123A 3.0 V Lithium Ion Battery

Thank you guys,:thumbs:

Vadim

ECF Veteran
Mar 29, 2010
Brooklyn, NY
Well that is interesting. Maybe give this thread a look over.

http://www.e-cigarette-forum.com/forum/new-members-forum/45862-16340-cr123.html

Awesome! from there I found more and more threads, starting to learn more about batteries, currents, resistors and such.......
Thank you Connman,

Tonight I used my Precise from Super T manufacturing (vaping) to drop the voltage from 4.0v to 3.6v on each 10440 batty, then placed them both into my 2xAA box. Starting at 7.2v and down to 6.9v the intensity and the mount of vapor dropped:mad:. But it still resembled an easy inhale and lots of vapor similar to an analog:rolleyes:.
To those people who want to switch from analogs to e-cigs and not feel much of a difference I think 7.2v would be their best bet.
For me the Joye 510 did it from day one, but 7.2v is what I will base my next mod and let all who want try it use it. This way I think I can get more people of analogs. I also like 7.2v

Thanks again Connman!:thumb:

Vadim

ECF Veteran
Mar 29, 2010
Brooklyn, NY
Hello Vadim,
That was just some stuff in the link I find a bit concerning with the things we don`t consider at times. I`m not into the figuring it out part much not being a chemist or anything but do read the forum a bunch and gather stuff like that in my head.

I just finished helping a forum member in building a 5 Volt mod. It`s actually kind of simple with the right pieces to stick together. I use the 5 pin regulator from Madvapes and it has been working great so far with the 3 amp switch I have on it.

5 Volt Regulator with Control Pin

I do it a little different then EZ Dozit but that`s just due to the batteries stay side by side. Actually depends on where you want the switch I suppose.

EZ Dozit`s How to thread here on ECF
http://www.e-cigarette-forum.com/fo...mall-5v-triple-box-microswitch-using-pcb.html

This regulator is reported to like always be on if the main kill switch is on so it needs to be turned off when not in use. I added a 2 LED setup to mine one working for main power switch the other works with the vape switch.

Something that makes this project very easy if you can solder is the PC Board here.

PC Board
Project-Circuit-Board
At the moment they are out of stock but are on order for getting more.

I`d be happy to help you do one if you need it PM me your E-mail addy.

As far as going to 6 Volts all I know is the two CR123 batteries being used. Would think there is a regulator for this but can`t recall ever seeing one mentioned. Basically using 2 times 3 volt batteries to get the 6 Volt can be done with the batteries below..

Here CR123A
OR
Here CR215270

Hello Connman,

thank you again, read the thread, working on mine now. :rolleyes:

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users who are viewing this thread