The costs of running this huge site are paid for by ads. Please consider registering and becoming a Supporting Member for an ad-free experience. Thanks, ECF team.
  1. Volunteer to help with beta testing!

We’re working on getting the site updates ready, but we’ll need your help to check the changes, make sure everything makes sense to you, and report any issues you see. If you'd like to volunteer to help with beta testing, click the link below. The first 20 people to respond to this thread will be added to the team!

View thread
    Dismiss Notice

901 cart mod: less juice in the mouth

Discussion in 'Cartridge Mods' started by MaxUT, Apr 24, 2010.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Image has been removed.
URL has been removed.
Email address has been removed.
Media has been removed.
  1. MaxUT

MaxUT Ultra Member ECF Veteran

Jul 4, 2009
    Ogden, UT, US
    I’ve been using 901 whistle-tip carts on 510 attys for a long time. I like the feel of them compared to the round 510 carts, which often have rough edges that need to be cleaned up. The 901s can also be less expensive than the 510s.

One of the things I haven’t liked about them was getting juice in my mouth more frequently, especially just after a refill. It seemed that a lot of juice was condensing and being trapped up inside the mouthpiece and when enough accumulated it would come out the tip. I formed the habit of blowing through the cart to “reverse flush” it and wiping down the atty end each time I refilled; this reduced but did not entirely eliminate the juice-in-the-mouth problem.

One day I was reading member Voltaire’s thread wherein he described removing the mouthpiece insert from a 510 flat tip cart, and I realized that the 901 cart probably also has a removeable insert. I bit down on the mouthpiece of one and sure enough, a tiny insert popped out.

I restuffed the cart with Aquaclear foam, filled it with juice and gave it a try. No juice, and the draw was also slightly easier. I’ve been using them without the mouthpiece insert ever since. Occaisionally there’s still a bit of juice coming through the mouthpiece but it’s much less than before, a seep rather than a gush.

I still blow through the cart before refilling but now less liquid comes out. I think this is due to less airflow restriction and turbulence in the air passage, giving the vapor less time to condense on the inner surface. Also, it eliminates the juice trap at the tip of the mouthpiece.

Give it a try. This is one minor mod that couldn’t be easier or quicker!

2. MaxUT

Jul 4, 2009
    Ogden, UT, US
    Has anyone else tried this?

Well of course we have, Max... we thought everyone already knew about this, so we didn't bother to post on it.

Regards,
    Everyone Else
    Oh... okay.

3. warbdan

warbdan Moved On ECF Veteran

LOL! I "removed" the insert of my whistle tip mouthpiece by accident when I dropped it. It gets more pocket lint in it now :(

4. MaxUT

Jul 4, 2009
    Ogden, UT, US
    Just think of it as a filter. :D

5. debbir

debbir Senior Member ECF Veteran

May 2, 2010
    Orlando, FL
    Max, please forgive me, I am a noob. Could you please tell me what Aquaclear foam is and where can I find it?

Thanks
    Debbi

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.