901 cart mod: less juice in the mouth

Status
Not open for further replies.

MaxUT

Ultra Member
ECF Veteran
Jul 4, 2009
Ogden, UT, US
I’ve been using 901 whistle-tip carts on 510 attys for a long time. I like the feel of them compared to the round 510 carts, which often have rough edges that need to be cleaned up. The 901s can also be less expensive than the 510s.

One of the things I haven’t liked about them was getting juice in my mouth more frequently, especially just after a refill. It seemed that a lot of juice was condensing and being trapped up inside the mouthpiece and when enough accumulated it would come out the tip. I formed the habit of blowing through the cart to “reverse flush” it and wiping down the atty end each time I refilled; this reduced but did not entirely eliminate the juice-in-the-mouth problem.

One day I was reading member Voltaire’s thread wherein he described removing the mouthpiece insert from a 510 flat tip cart, and I realized that the 901 cart probably also has a removeable insert. I bit down on the mouthpiece of one and sure enough, a tiny insert popped out.

I restuffed the cart with Aquaclear foam, filled it with juice and gave it a try. No juice, and the draw was also slightly easier. I’ve been using them without the mouthpiece insert ever since. Occaisionally there’s still a bit of juice coming through the mouthpiece but it’s much less than before, a seep rather than a gush.

I still blow through the cart before refilling but now less liquid comes out. I think this is due to less airflow restriction and turbulence in the air passage, giving the vapor less time to condense on the inner surface. Also, it eliminates the juice trap at the tip of the mouthpiece.

Give it a try. This is one minor mod that couldn’t be easier or quicker!

debbir

ECF Veteran
May 2, 2010
Orlando, FL
I restuffed the cart with Aquaclear foam, filled it with juice and gave it a try. No juice, and the draw was also slightly easier. I’ve been using them without the mouthpiece insert ever since. Occaisionally there’s still a bit of juice coming through the mouthpiece but it’s much less than before, a seep rather than a gush.

Max, please forgive me, I am a noob. Could you please tell me what Aquaclear foam is and where can I find it?

Thanks
Debbi

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.

Users who are viewing this thread