A Class on Mechanical Mods and Safety... ?

Status
Not open for further replies.
This is a theoretical post. It's for a series of blog posts I'm doing.

Let's say you were going to design a course for people who want to get into mechanical mods but don't know where to start. You want to teach them things like Ohm's Law, battery specs, how to use Steam Engine like a pro, basic how-to's on building RDAs and RBAs and RTAs, terms and definitions, parts, safety information, and so on. This would be a basic class, not for advanced stuff, so you wouldn't be teaching them how to do twisted coils and such, unless you want to offer a second, more advanced course. Your main goal is to show them how to avoid pipe bombs, and also how to spend their money wisely. You want to include quizzes throughout and a sort of final test at the end.

And you want to have a textbook of sorts to include.

How would you set up this class? Where would you start, and in what order would you introduce each of the sections? How many classes would you spend on each (terms and definitions, basic parts and accessories, Ohm's Law, batteries, builds, and so on)? How many quizzes would you give? How long would they be? How long would the test be? And how long would the courses last?

I have my own answers to each of these questions, except I'm not too sure about the order I'd introduce each part in, and I feel like I'm missing stuff. In general, though:

I'd start with a basic introduction. Show students what a basic, simple mech mod looks like and give a summary/overview of how it works. Maybe even give them disposable tips and let them try it out (with 0nic juice, of course). I would them start introducing terms and parts and definitions. Next I would go a little deeper, showing them the different kinds of atomizers used of mechanical mods, as well as the different kinds of mechanical mods. Then I'd quiz 'em.

After that is when I'd personally get in to Ohm's Law. I'd want them to dream about it, and be able to recite it on command. I'd want them to know the ins and outs of calculating it, whether it's with a calculator like Steam Engine or by hand. I would also want to make them intimately familiar with Steam Engine, but I'm not sure if that should go along with Ohm's Law or later in the course. I'd then quiz them on Ohm's Law.

Once they know Ohm's Law, I'd teach them all about batteries. I think this would probably be the longest section of the course, because I'd want them to know all about the different batteries, how to spot fakes, and the different specs of each battery and what they can and can't handle. Then they'd be quizzed on the batteries.

After that, I'd give them the basics of building, and teach them an easy build (my go-to has always been 24ga Kanthal A1, 1/8mm diameter, 5/4 wrap, dual-coil, but that's a sub-ohm build and I'm not sure if a sub-ohm build would be the best build for a noob, even though it was my first build... this is about safety and not cloud-chasing, after all).

The final test would be cumulative, including that last portion, and would include grading a good build and how well they use it. Testing for shorts (with an ohm reader) would be part of it. That would be done on a cheap, basic RDA, of course, that can either be given to the students or they can purchase (depending on the size of the class).

I would offer extra classes on more advanced builds and on cloud-chasing and such, but I'd have to take those classes myself... I've got a handle on the basics, but I'm only just foraying into the more advanced stuff.

So what do y'all think? Different order? Would you add anything?

(I should note that "this is a stupid idea. Don't do it" is not an acceptable answer, here. I'm looking for feedback from people who'd actually be interested in taking or teaching such a class.)

If such classes already exist, by the way, please link me to them so I can learn more. I'd not be surprised if California vapers have already started doing such things...

ReigntheGamer

Account closed on request
ECF Veteran
Oct 14, 2014
The only issue I see with this has nothing to do with the order or content, but the people who really need it would not sign up. The people who are interested in vaping safely would actively seek out said information even if it postpones the instant gratification of what they are looking for out of building.

I do applaud the thought you put into this and your intentions.

novamatt

ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Jan 12, 2010
Washington, DC area
This is a theoretical post. It's for a series of blog posts I'm doing.

Let's say you were going to design a course for people who want to get into mechanical mods but don't know where to start. (SNIP)

I'd start with a circuit. "This is how anything that runs on batteries works in general." Define the terms and show how they relate to each other, then explain how Ohm's law defines those relationships. Once they understand what voltage, current, resistance, and power are and how they interact, they have a baseline to be able to understand everything else. You'd want them to demonstrate that they get it before moving on, so probably a quiz or something to make sure they understand.

Then you cover basic mech mod information, and show them how current flows through a mech (you'd be surprised at how many mech users don't understand that electricity is actually flowing through the body of the mech while they use it). I'd also include a brief overview of how regulated mods work, so that they understand that the resistance of the atomizer doesn't affect the current draw from a battery at all, and they understand the basics of how regulated mods adjust that circuit. A lot of mech users are moving on to high wattage vaping, and that trend's not going to stop any time soon, so they should understand it.

Then you cover batteries and safety (again, both mech and regulated). After that comes a few different builds to help show how wire mass, surface area, heat flux, airflow and such affect the way a coil vapes. I'd make sure to cover both a basic 3 post dripper and a kayfun style tank, along with the differences in building for mechs and regulated mods. Final exam would be for the student to build a coil for their device that they think will best fit the vape they want and to explain why & how they chose that coil to fit their individual taste.

Last edited:

danca90

Ultra Member
ECF Veteran
Sep 11, 2013
Zagreb, Croatia
The simple fact is everyone who pushes batteries too hard always says it's okay. I know a few folks who have never wrapped below .5... How do they know that a .7 ohm coil, which is safe on most 18650's, will be unsatisfying?
So, I'd only want to focus on battery choice (samsung 25r's are cheaper than a lot of poor choices, and work very well.) And, have them actually try a safer ohm build.

smacksy

Ultra Member
ECF Veteran
Aug 17, 2014
Alexandria, Louisiana USA
Also I think mechanicals are on the way to becoming obsolete..making classes not too popular either, even with beginners
The new wave of safe, powerful VW mods are fast becoming the mods of choice..that said I have 4 high end mech mods that are back in there boxes since I got my first VW box mod, the 150w IPV3..for me this was a game changer.. With 150w/8.4v available and being able to fire down to a .1 ohm build with shorted atomizer protection, plus alot of other safety features, was something I could only dream about using my mechs..

Sent from my DROID RAZR HD using Tapatalk

Last edited:

DaveSignal

Ultra Member
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Aug 23, 2014
Maryland
I think it would take about 5 minutes to go over the basic information. This is mechanical mod, this is how it works, this is why you need to be careful. This is what to look for when purchasing batteries. Ohms law uses these equations. You can use this to make sure that your builds are safe for your battery... and also to make sure you will draw the amount of power that you want from your vape.

And about 10 minutes to show a good build with multiple coils while explaining everything. And about 30 minutes for the students to try to replicate the build and assist people who aren't doing it right. Add about 15 minutes to retrain anyone who didn't get it.

So 5 + 10 + 30 + 15 = 1 hour. Not a bad idea if you have vaping students.

The only issue I see with this has nothing to do with the order or content, but the people who really need it would not sign up. The people who are interested in vaping safely would actively seek out said information even if it postpones the instant gratification of what they are looking for out of building.

I do applaud the thought you put into this and your intentions.

I mean... there is one way around that (see my blog post, linked in my sig), but a lot of vapers are against what I wrote about in that post. I understand why, but I basically don't trust people, so... you know... if people are too stupid to consider their own safety, do it for them... like Boca Vapes does! The owner and the sales reps are very concerned about your safety and whether or not you know what you're doing, and will go out of their way to make sure that you don't end up in the ER.

Check out Baditudes Blogs and State-O-Flux Blogs

I refer members to them often. Here is an example of one such post.

Oh! Amazing! I'm subscribing to those blogs! Thank you!

I'd start with a circuit. "This is how anything that runs on batteries works in general." Define the terms and show how they relate to each other, then explain how Ohm's law defines those relationships. Once they understand what voltage, current, resistance, and power are and how they interact, they have a baseline to be able to understand everything else. You'd want them to demonstrate that they get it before moving on, so probably a quiz or something to make sure they understand.

Hm... I like your thinking here. Make sure they understand the basics of a circuit...

Then you cover basic mech mod information, and show them how current flows through a mech (you'd be surprised at how many mech users don't understand that electricity is actually flowing through the body of the mech while they use it). I'd also include a brief overview of how regulated mods work, so that they understand that the resistance of the atomizer doesn't affect the current draw from a battery at all, and they understand the basics of how regulated mods adjust that circuit. A lot of mech users are moving on to high wattage vaping, and that trend's not going to stop any time soon, so they should understand it.

Wait... there are mech users who don't know that electricity flows through the body? It was one of the first things I learned before I bought my first mech mod! Ugh...

My assumption with this class is that students already use regulated mods. It'd be for those who want to move from regulated to unregulated. But then, that's not guaranteed, so it's probably not a great assumption to make...

Then you cover batteries and safety (again, both mech and regulated). After that comes a few different builds to help show how wire mass, surface area, heat flux, airflow and such affect the way a coil vapes. I'd make sure to cover both a basic 3 post dripper and a kayfun style tank, along with the differences in building for mechs and regulated mods. Final exam would be for the student to build a coil for their device that they think will best fit the vape they want and to explain why & how they chose that coil to fit their individual taste.

Agreed with all this. And love the idea for the final! Perfect way to show that they learned everything is to be able to figure out what their perfect build would be for their first mech mod set-up.

Sounds like an admirable pursuit and seems well considered. I'd suggest speaking with an attorney to gauge your potential liability if someone pops a mech during or after taking your class.

Ha! Very good point. Just get them to sign a liability waver and I'm good!

But, of course, the goal would be to get them to a place where they won't pop a mod, because they'll have the tools and knowledge needed to avoid that point. Hopefully, they'd learn in the class how to spot a short with an Ohm reader and/or multimeter, how to tell the difference between a warm mod and a hot button caused by a short, how to know when it's time to charge the battery, and even how to taste a dry hit coming from a mile away.

The simple fact is everyone who pushes batteries too hard always says it's okay. I know a few folks who have never wrapped below .5... How do they know that a .7 ohm coil, which is safe on most 18650's, will be unsatisfying?
So, I'd only want to focus on battery choice (samsung 25r's are cheaper than a lot of poor choices, and work very well.) And, have them actually try a safer ohm build.

I mean, my go-to build reads between a 0.3 and 0.4 on my ohm reader, and I've really never had a problem with it. Honestly, if that really is unsafe for the batteries I use (Sony VTC 4's), I've been lucky for almost a year, now. At the same time, however, I do see what you're saying. But it's still smart to go all in and teach them everything about the basics.

Also I think mechanicals are on the way to becoming obsolete..making classes not too popular either,even with beginners
The new wave of safe, powerful VW mods are fast becoming the mods of choice..that said I have 4 high end mech mods that are back in there boxes since I got my first VW box mod, the 150w IPV3..for me this was a game changer.. With 150w/8.4v available and being able to fire down to a .1 ohm build with shorted atomizer protection is something I could only dream about using my mechs..

I'm not so sure. Mech mods still sell extremely well, and as far as I can tell are still preferred for cloud comps. Plus, unless I'm mistaken, cloud-comp RDAs are designed for mech mods. That doesn't mean they don't work basically as well on VW mods, but they are supposedly made with mech mods in mind.

That said, I really do need to get a really good VW mod. I don't have one, but I want one. I'd say more, but don't want to derail my own thread... heh...

Off to do some research!

I think it would take about 5 minutes to go over the basic information. This is mechanical mod, this is how it works, this is why you need to be careful. This is what to look for when purchasing batteries. Ohms law uses these equations. You can use this to make sure that your builds are safe for your battery... and also to make sure you will draw the amount of power that you want from your vape.

And about 10 minutes to show a good build with multiple coils while explaining everything. And about 30 minutes for the students to try to replicate the build and assist people who aren't doing it right. Add about 15 minutes to retrain anyone who didn't get it.

So 5 + 10 + 30 + 15 = 1 hour. Not a bad idea if you have vaping students.

Eh... the goal is to help them avoid pipe bombs as much as possible. Having a deep knowledge of Ohm's Law, how to use Steam Engine like a pro, how to look for batteries, and how to build safely will take a lot more than one hour. I could see a potential half-semester if you really want to drill the information. Plus, keep it hands on to keep it fun.

Imagine the final being a cloud comp, with 3 places: 1st place gets 75% off their first mech mod kit, 2nd place gets 50% off their first mech mod kit, and 3rd place get 25% off their first mech mod kit. Every other student who passes gets 5% off their first mech mod kit.

And you check cheating simply by not allowing builds lower than a certain point in ohms, or perhaps a specific ohm level, and checking them with a good reader (make sure it's a quality reader so you have a lower margin of error). Plus, you provide the wire, cotton and tools.

ETA: Feel free to read my blog post, linked in my sig. It's related to this thread. I just ask that any objections you have or anything else you want to say are made on the blog post itself, so that this thread can be kept on topic. Thanks.

Last edited:

novamatt

ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Jan 12, 2010
Washington, DC area
My assumption with this class is that students already use regulated mods. It'd be for those who want to move from regulated to unregulated. But then, that's not guaranteed, so it's probably not a great assumption to make....

That may be the case, but there's a big difference between an Ego twist and an iStick and an IPV3. And there are a TON of high-wattage users, even advanced ones who've been vaping a long time, that don't understand that variable mods trade current for higher volage. The overwhelming majority just assume it's regulated, so it must be safe. Which isn't going to help the person who decides to try an ICR battery with a 2 amp discharge because it's got 4000 mAh and hey, it's regulated, so it's safe, right?

I'd say that regulated mod users are *significantly* less likely to understand how their mod works than mech users. We don't stress battery safety here on them the way we always have with mechs (because we haven't had regulated devices pulling 15 amps before - the tech just got here), and they're more complicated to try to explain.

smacksy

Ultra Member
ECF Veteran
Aug 17, 2014
Personally I understand mech battery safety, ohms law and using the right battery for the build I chose to use for over two years ...but now I prefer my VW regulated mods because of the battery safety provided, awesome performance and versatility. its a simple matter to use the 30+ amp batteries recommended for my IPV3..no worries as it can fire down to .1 ohm, has shorted atomizer protection and a slew of other safety features I could only dream about using my mechs..even has reverse battery protection and with 150w/8.4v available the performance is awesome no matter what I vape on it..That all said my point is as long as I use the right recommended batteries, there is really no need to worry about battery safety other than charging and storing them safely..can't say about ego/spinner type batts..I never used them from the get-go..lol

Last edited:
That may be the case, but there's a big difference between an Ego twist and an iStick and an IPV3. And there are a TON of high-wattage users, even advanced ones who've been vaping a long time, that don't understand that variable mods trade current for higher volage. The overwhelming majority just assume it's regulated, so it must be safe. Which isn't going to help the person who decides to try an ICR battery with a 2 amp discharge because it's got 4000 mAh and hey, it's regulated, so it's safe, right?

I'd say that regulated mod users are *significantly* less likely to understand how their mod works than mech users. We don't stress battery safety here on them the way we always have with mechs (because we haven't had regulated devices pulling 15 amps before - the tech just got here), and they're more complicated to try to explain.

This is a very good point, and I hadn't thought of that initially.

Personally I understand mech battery safety, ohms law and using the right battery for the build I chose to use for over two years ...but now I prefer my VW regulated mods because of the battery safety provided, awesome performance and versatility. its a simple matter to use the 30+ amp batteries recommended for my IPV3..no worries as it can fire down to .1 ohm, has shorted atomizer protection and a slew of other safety features I could only dream about using my mechs..even has reverse battery protection and with 150w/8.4v available the performance is awesome no matter what I vape on it..That all said my point is as long as I use the right recommended batteries, there is really no need to worry about battery safety other than charging and storing them safely..can't say about ego/spinner type batts..I never used them from the get-go..lol

Yeah. IPV3 is one of the ones I'm looking at.

smacksy

Ultra Member
ECF Veteran
Aug 17, 2014
This is a very good point, and I hadn't thought of that initially.

Yeah. IPV3 is one of the ones I'm looking at.
I got 4 mechs back in their boxes after getting my IPV3..This mod does it all..safely!
I highly recommend it...in fact I liked my IPV3 so much I now own two.... lol.
445ad85fde48afcb567d3ac2cfd352b3.jpg

Last edited:

readeuler

Ultra Member
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Jul 17, 2014
Ohio, USA
State O Flux actually started a thread a while ago asking how many people would be willing to participate, be it teach or take, in such a course (he hadn't nailed down any specifics about the content, to my knowledge). It was a few months ago and it's long since fizzled out by now, but I always like ideas like this.

Ryedan

ECF Guru
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Mar 31, 2012
Ontario, Canada

Great to see you around these parts again Bad :thumb:

I've seen that site before and was not impressed. Things like the following are just so wrong, I stop there and dismiss the whole thing;

"Protected ICR batteries have a basic layer of protection that prevents your batteries from shorts and over discharge problems. Protected ICR with a C rating of 2 amps or more can be used in mechanical mods."

Yikes :ohmy:

I got 4 mechs back in their boxes after getting my IPV3..This mod does it all..safely!
I highly recommend it...in fact I liked my IPV3 so much I now own two.... lol.
445ad85fde48afcb567d3ac2cfd352b3.jpg

I'm not sure I'll ever put my mech mods back in the box, as I've become a bit of a mech mod loyalist. I love the simplicity, plus the general ease of the way they work. Plus, I want to make my own. I have design ideas for a sonic screwdriver mod (though not designed after the one in the picture) on which the only electrical function will be reading the charge of the battery and showing it, via LED lights, so you'll know when it's time to charge it. Yes, some sonic screwdriver mods exist, but I'm very unimpressed with all of them.

Then, in the far future, when I can invest in the resources, I want to make a pure silver mod and RDA, with silver contacts and all.

That said, something like the IPV3 will probably become my relaxation vape. I'm a little upset to find that VaporDNA is out of them, and that's my favorite online shop (the customer service is pretty awesome). I wonder if elsewhere has them cheaper? And what kind of accessories are recommended with it? I have 8 Sony VTC4s and an Efest 18650 2500mAh battery. So I think I'm good with batteries.

State O Flux actually started a thread a while ago asking how many people would be willing to participate, be it teach or take, in such a course (he hadn't nailed down any specifics about the content, to my knowledge). It was a few months ago and it's long since fizzled out by now, but I always like ideas like this.

I need to find that thread...

Thank you! I have that guide bookmarked, and it's probably going to end up being the basis for a large portion of my outline. With full credit to you, obviously.

Um... for some reason I confused that link with a link to your blog, which I find incredible. So I was talking about your blog, there... heh...

As for this guide, I'm kinda with Ryedan below. That's a kinda off statement...

Last edited:

Rucerius

Verified Member
Dec 29, 2014
Jupiter, Fl
Sounds like an admirable pursuit and seems well considered. I'd suggest speaking with an attorney to gauge your potential liability if someone pops a mech during or after taking your class.
This is good advice, and it says a lot about what this country has become where you're liable for someone else's mistakes.

This is good advice, and it says a lot about what this country has become where you're liable for someone else's mistakes.

Welcome to reality, my friend.

A little anecdote from Boca Vapes:

I'll never forget hanging out in their one time, and this kid came in. He demanded their most expensive mechanical mod and atomizer. The sales rep grilled him, and it didn't take her long to discern that all he'd ever used are the 1st generation e-cigs that look like analog cigarettes and that he'd basically googled just enough to know what things are called, and that's it. When she asked what he knew about builds, he started to get frustrated. When she tried to find out if he knew the difference between an RDA, an RBA, and an RTA, he started cussing her out. And yet, the whole time, she had a smile and was as nice as she could possibly be.

She did her best to sell him a starter kit, but he eventually stormed out. She then turned to me and said "and that is an ER trip waiting to happen". I guarantee you another vape store down there sold to him, and I would not at all be surprised to find his hand is now completely useless. I mean... maybe he got lucky, figured it out, and has become a bonified expert with no accidents ever. But I highly doubt that.

And that, right there, is why I'm rather unpopular amongst vapers in meatspace for being pro-regulation. But that's a different thread...

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users who are viewing this thread