A friend still calls me a smoker.

Status
Not open for further replies.
I was just showing my best friend some of the flavors I could buy and the e-cig we were going to purchase and once again we got into the old debate
Me: I wish I could get a handle on myself and just quit smoking!
Her: So just quit, put them down and walk away... what's the big deal?

I have known her for 34 years, I have smoked 30 of those years and every time she says that I want to whack her til her great great grandkids hurt.

Now she says "big whoop?? you're just wasting money on water and flavorings"

I'm sure it will go on and on like this until the day one of us dies... think bad thoughts about them silently, make a voodoo doll and blow smoke in its face until you've stopped.

That's all I got

Pete54

Ultra Member
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Oct 30, 2009
Clearwater, Florida
Your friend has a PV but still smokes tobacco cigarettes. And he tells you that vaping is actually smoking. That way he gets to tell himself "Dakota uses that thing and I use tobacco -- it's the same thing. We're both still smoking." It makes him feel better about himself and his failure to quit.

So, next time he says it, reply "There's no fire, smoke, tar, carbon monoxide, arsenic, formaldehyde, benzene, etc. But, if it makes you feel better about the fact that you are still inhaling all of those, fine. We'll say I'm still smoking."

Ding ...ding ....ding .....ding. We have a winner!!!

fordch

Moved On
Jul 1, 2010
Ohio
  • Deleted by Elendil
  • Reason: Services no longer required.
I guess I am one of the few who still consider myself a smoker. I havent touched a cigarette in 100+ days, but I havent put the ecig down either. As long as I still leave the house, and have something in my shirt pocket, be it a pack of smokes or a bottle of ejuice, I will consider myself a smoker.

I look at it this way. If tomorrow, every ecig, every bottle of juice, every part to make a mod disappeared, would I go out and buy myself a pack of cigarettes? Unfortunately, I believe I would. I have not broken my addiction to nicotine.

I like to tell myself its safer and healthier, but there are not enough tests to back it up. Do I consider it safe? Not at all. I believe anything you inhale into your body is not good for you. Do I care? Not really, if I did, I wouldnt have smoked for 26 years. I like to believe its safer than cigarettes, it tastes better than cigarettes, it doesnt leave the house, car and myself smelling bad, so thats a plus.

I guess I will always consider myself a smoker.

People here are just splitting hairs as far as smoking goes. Do we use a lighter to light up and burn a rolled cigarette? NO, but we do press a button that fires up an atty or carto that gets hot enough to turn liquid into a vapor to be inhaled. Instead of burning tobacco, we are heating juice. People can tell themselves whatever they like, and I dont have a problem with that. If it keeps you off cigarettes, great, but I aint gonna sit here and lie to myself.

VapingRulz

Ultra Member
ECF Veteran
Oct 19, 2009
Florida
I guess I am one of the few who still consider myself a smoker. I havent touched a cigarette in 100+ days, but I havent put the ecig down either. As long as I still leave the house, and have something in my shirt pocket, be it a pack of smokes or a bottle of ejuice, I will consider myself a smoker.

It would be more accurate to call yourself a "nicotiner." If you're not lighting it and it's not burning, then by definition, you're not smoking.

I am a caffeine and nicotine user... but I'm no longer a smoker.

imtheshane

ECF Veteran
Jun 22, 2010
Parkersburg, WV
This is what concerns me.

Is it absolutely safe? Probably not. Is it safer? I really don't see how anyone could say it isn't. There are 4000 less chemicals in vapor than there are in smoke. There's also the study done by Health New Zealand that says the health benefits of switching to a PV are nearly identical to quitting all together. That's not to mention the ton of anecdotal evidence from those of us who stopped smoking traditional cigs.

sherid

Ultra Member
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
May 25, 2008
USA
I will always call myself a smoker even if I never smoke a Marlboro again. It helps distinguish me from the anti-smokers, and that is a worthy goal for me. If you are worried so about what others call you, you might consider not vaping or smoking; then there would be no confusion. I like the distinction of switching to another brand as a description of what vaping is.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users who are viewing this thread