Enticing the friends and family?

Status
Not open for further replies.

badbadivy

ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Mar 3, 2013
Murfreesboro, TN
Last night I went over to my oldest son's first apartment. (So proud! One down, two to go!) I hadn't seen him in a couple of weeks so he didn't know I had quit smoking until last night.

I showed him my PV and he was intrigued. One of my worst parenting fails, I think, is that I raised a smoker. So when he tried my PV and loved it, I asked him if he would consider getting one and quit smoking himself.

Of course, he asked how much it costs to get started up and that's where it stalled. Even with explaining how much I have saved, he still can't really get past the initial startup costs. Argh.

So I told him I would give him my old V4L batteries and equipment as soon as I could afford to get myself a new backup and that seems to be a done deal.

It made me think about all my other smoker friends and family who are supportive of my quitting this way. They might be interested too but I'm kind of funny about letting people who are not my children puff on my PV.

Any ideas of how I can entice other friends and family to quit the same way? Has anyone had any success getting others to make the switch?

KatyLoo

ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Mar 9, 2013
Tulsa
I have introduced several friends and relatives to vaping. One didn't last very long, he just didn't have the self-discipline to keep his batteries charged. Another, I had to buy her the startup kit and she had good results, but when she ran out of juice she just quit vaping and continued on with the cigarettes.

But I also have 2 success stories. Both were complaining about the startup costs but were already highly motivated. I think that's what makes the difference.

Last edited:

badbadivy

ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Mar 3, 2013
Murfreesboro, TN
I have introduced several friends and relatives to vaping. One didn't last very long, he just didn't have the self-discipline to keep his batteries charged. Another, I had to buy her the startup kit and she had good results, but when she ran out of juice she just quit vaping and continued on with the cigarettes.

But I also have 2 success stories. Both were complaining about the startup costs but were already highly motivated. I think that's what makes the difference.

I think being motivated is probably the key. I know I didn't make the switch myself until I felt like I absolutely had to. I think with my son it might work out because he 1. Loves smoking but hates the smell and the cost of it. 2. Likes tinkering so I can see him having the patience to mess around until he finds his ideal setup and 3. He thinks it looks cool.

Everyone else, I don't know. Most of my friends I don't see them doing the research it takes to find out everything you need to know. There is a lot I can tell them but so much more I can't tell them. Sigh.

Dougiestyle

Vaping Master
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Feb 5, 2011
Knoxville, TN USA
Buy your son an eGo starter kit and enough nicquid for a month (~100ml). Instruct him to put aside the money he would spend on stinkies for that time. Tell him, "It's OK to have a smoke here and there if this set-up just isn't working for the cravings, BUT YOU MUST try! At the end of the month, you will have saved the money for a start-up kit or mod of your choosing."

Debadoo

ECF Guru
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
May 18, 2012
Texas, near Fort Hood
Congrats to you on switching!!! I totally get not wanting folks to be puffin on your pv. They do make some rubbery covers to go over drip tips so folks can try them without putting their lips on your drip tip. I know my freedom smokes sells them, that's where I got some. Another option is to have a drip tip that you only use for other folks and clean it with alcohol prep swabs or soap and water. I keep alcohol prep swabs around for cleaning battery ends, and charger connections, the threads of my juice holders, and the connectors on the mods. They'll get a bit sooty so I clean them occasionally and it improves the vape.

Motivation absolutely is a key factor. Lighting a cig is soooooooo much easier. Dragging around an oxygen tank is NOT! Hope you can get him to switch! Douggie has a good suggestion once you give him your v4life set up.

StereoDreamer

Ultra Member
ECF Veteran
Oct 13, 2012
Columbia MD
The startup cost is what stalls out a lot of smokers.

"Start up cost" for smoking is under $10--one pack of smokes and Bic lighter. People don't look t long-term costs--between the terrible education people get in the public schools, and the brain damage caused by vaccines, GMO foods, and chemicals in the water and the environment, most people are actually incapable of processing information that involved higher cognitive functioning.

When most folks look at $100 for decent PV, juice, batteries, etc--vs $10 for a pack and Bic, it is quite literally a "no-brainer"...

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users who are viewing this thread