Status
Not open for further replies.

jseah

Vaping Master
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Feb 16, 2015
Hudson Valley, NY, USA
Sorry - didn't really look. That makes sense. But I'm sure a LOT of people have no idea and give their toddlers whatever brand of toothpaste without checking for fluoride.
This brings to mind a story I saw on "Histories at the Museum" or something like that on the Travel Channel. In the early 1900's, residents of Colorado Springs had teeth that was badly stained brown. Some were so bad that their teeth looked like chocolate candy. A young dentist tried to find the reason for this and one of the things he noticed was that while the stains were unsightly, they had really good teeth, as in no cavities. It took over 20 years, but as it turned out, the people afflicted all drank from the same water supply, which was high in fluoride. It also was found that the discoloration was most evident in children who started drinking the water before their adult teeth grew in, while adults who started drinking the water later in life was not affected. And thus fluoride became the dentist's greatest weapon in the fight against tooth decay.

Rossum

Eleutheromaniac
Supporting Member
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Dec 14, 2013
SE PA
Fun fact, it's used as an antifreeze to prevent the formation of ice crystals.

2ljjgpj.png

Wait, they put antifreeze in ice cream? :confused:

AndriaD

Reviewer / Blogger
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Jan 24, 2014
LawrencevilleGA
angryvaper.crypticsites.com
You almost make me want to carry the Vick's Pediatric Vapor in my purse to confront my brother-in-law (who still smokes even after heart surgery BTW) when he tells me vaping is bad "because the doctor on TV said so." I would do it were it not for the fact that Vicks Vaporub was an inch away from me divorcing my husband. He bathes in the stuff when he has (or thinks he has) a cold and I can't stand the smell - makes me want to puke. :D

Heh... I call that smell "Death by Peppermint" -- Ben-Gay ointment is much the same. I can't abide it either.

Andria

nvadasz

ECF Veteran
Dec 8, 2014
Beverly Hills, Fl, USA
Putting something in a stomach or in lungs are two very different things. We already know we can eat sand, but when inhaled it causes silicosis. Diacetyl is another example. Or just try first to drink half a gallon of water and then try to inhale it. You'll see the difference.
I just read this response, and I find it really out of character for an "Ultra Member" Really...inhale a 1/2 gallon of water? Must be getting your juice from Co.

DeAnna2112

ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Apr 21, 2015
Indiana
Playing devils advocate here...

The angle of concern i always see when people challenge the safety of vaping is on the bases of inhaling vs ingesting, and vaping large quantities of it in it's aerosol form directly into the lungs at a sustained rate of hour after hour 24/7/ 365 days of the year. Many examples people use to support the safety of vaping are just not valid in my opinion.

For example, as a asthma sufferer my inhalers have PG in it, but asthma inhalers are only used a couple times a day with 1-2 puffs per use, not constant puffing hour after hour day after day.
It's been said that hospitals use it in their air systems..if they are the exposure rate is very very minimum, otherwise, where are all the reported cases of people who had a negative reaction due to being allergic or sensitive to PG? People with severe allergies/respiratory problems are at their local hospital frequently for blood work/test..surely a pattern would start to form among patients/employees reporting reactions/breathing problems every time they entered the building.

My point is..if your going to refute arguments by using other products that contain PG/VG... unless it is a product that is inhaled by means of a aerosol into the lungs constantly on a sustained bases 24/7/365 days of the year, then it is not a legit comparison..your argument will be dismissed and looked upon as avoiding the core basis of safety issues raised and challenged by the general public..which i find understandable.

We have to do better then this folks if we want to be taken seriously with the general public when we address their concerns and challenges on the safety of vaping. We really need to stop with the "if it's safe to ingest it's safe to inhale", and making comparisons to products that are not consumed nor inhaled at the same day in and day out rate that vaping is.

Alien Traveler

Vaping Master
ECF Veteran
Jul 3, 2014
United States

The angle of concern i always see when people challenge the safety of vaping is on the bases of inhaling vs ingesting, and vaping large quantities of it in it's aerosol form directly into the lungs at a sustained rate of hour after hour 24/7/ 365 days of the year. Many examples people use to support the safety of vaping are just not valid in my opinion.

For example, as a asthma sufferer my inhalers have PG in it, but asthma inhalers are only used a couple times a day with 1-2 puffs per use, not constant puffing hour after hour day after day.
It's been said that hospitals use it in their air systems..if they are the exposure rate is very very minimum, otherwise, where are all the reported cases of people who had a negative reaction due to being allergic or sensitive to PG? People with severe allergies/respiratory problems are at their local hospital frequently for blood work/test..surely a pattern would start to form among patients/employees reporting reactions/breathing problems every time they entered the building.

My point is..if your going to refute arguments by using other products that contain PG/VG... unless it is a product that is inhaled by means of a aerosol into the lungs constantly on a sustained bases 24/7/365 days of the year, then it is not a legit comparison..your argument will be dismissed and looked upon as avoiding the core basis of safety issues raised and challenged by the general public..which i find understandable.

We have to do better then this folks if we want to be taken seriously with the general public when we address their concerns and challenges on the safety of vaping. We really need to stop with the "if it's safe to ingest it's safe to inhale", and making comparisons to products that are not consumed nor inhaled at the same day in and day out rate that vaping is.
Yes. But it difficult to overcome a childish attitude towards a newly acquired toy.

Reactions: DeAnna2112

KattMamma

Ultra Member
ECF Veteran
Feb 10, 2015
DFW Area, Texas
We really need to stop with the "if it's safe to ingest it's safe to inhale", and making comparisons to products that are not consumed nor inhaled at the same day in and day out rate that vaping is.
Would love to offer up better comparisons... but there's nothing comparable. What do you suggest?

OTOH, there are tons of testimonies from people who have vaped for a number of years, claiming better lung function is common to pretty much all of them. If it is bad for your lungs, I don't see how we'd have so many of these testimonies.

Reactions: skoony

skoony

Vaping Master
ECF Veteran
Jul 31, 2013
saint paul,mn,usa

of course its a valid comparison.
i have i have not seen any vapers including myself whom
are constantly vaping 24/7/365. my own personal experience
is i actually vape less time per day than i smoked.
of course i am sure that there are people that are
obsessed with vaping to the extreme but,they are no where
near the norm.
we are exposing ourselves to more PG and or VG but,
we are not drowning ourselves in it.
:2c:
regards
mike

motordude

Ultra Member
ECF Veteran
Apr 1, 2015
VA, USA
I agree, it's all fun and games until big bird puts a eye out.
Lighten up people, everything doesn't have to make a valid point.
Life is short, enjoy it!

Rossum

Eleutheromaniac
Supporting Member
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Dec 14, 2013
SE PA
i have i have not seen any vapers including myself whom are constantly vaping 24/7/365. my own personal experience
Exactly. I certainly don't vape constantly, 24 hours a day. I mean, I sleep 7-8 hours every night, and I generally do not vape while I'm sleeping.

Now the other 16-17 hours a day... Yeah, I'm vaping, which is pretty much how it was with smoking until December of 2013.

Still, I know how much better I feel since I switched and I'm not going to fret over it too much.

DeAnna2112

ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Apr 21, 2015
Indiana
Would love to offer up better comparisons... but there's nothing comparable. What do you suggest?

OTOH, there are tons of testimonies from people who have vaped for a number of years, claiming better lung function is common to pretty much all of them. If it is bad for your lungs, I don't see how we'd have so many of these testimonies.

When i am confronted with combative folks on the matter i try to be upfront and honest and not play the game of i am right and you are wrong.
Nobody on either side of the fence has the science to back up what the long term effects will be for vaping pro or con, but we do have the science on the harms of tobacco. Thus far, vaping is light years away from the many thousands of known harmful chemicals in cigs compared to eliquid that is only made up of 3 main ingredients PG VG NIC...with a optional 4th ingredient flavorings. While flavorings are in question at this time, the 3 main ingredients are pretty well studied for ingestion and in some cases inhalation such as a asthma inhaler, but inhaling PG/VG in high quantities on a daily bases day after day is an exposure rate that has not been studied for long term effects. There are many things that are safe when used in moderation only and whether that is true for PG/VG or flavoring is yet to be determined, but when compared with tobacco and it's many deadly complexities of ingredients...vaping is far more transparent in what your inhaling and very limited IMO on things that are unknown that could possibly cause problems.

When i encounter combative people while waiting in a waiting room and my vaping pen shows in my purse or falls out...sparking a discussion...this is my position of discussion on the matter and i can tell you i have had more success with this approach then i would have had with pulling all this ANTZ, PROPAGANDA spewing hate and insisting they are wrong because look PG/VG is in cough syrup or vicks vapor rub... blah blah blah. Come on folks we can do better then this.

Side note: Katemama, vapers who are feeling better because they quit smoking is no surprise, but that is not to say that years down the road vapers won't start feeling the negative effects of vaping...after all....nobody felt bad for years when they started smoking..heck many felt better!! until years of smoking and the feel goods of smoking started rearing it's ugly head. I have no doubt vaping is going to have a few ugly heads itself it will rear in time, we are already seeing it with setbacks regarding health concerns with flavors.

GinnyTx

Ultra Member
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Jul 2, 2014
Pearland, TX
^^you're correct we won't know for some time still
(heck I'm still fiddling with my dad's old CPAP to figure out a way to vape when I'm sleeping):lol:

we don't know..but we DO know it's not as bad as cigarettes and I've found arguing with fence posts to be futile(combative/ANTZ, etc). Now if someone genuinely want REAL information on vaping I send them to the literature/current research/articles..for how shall we say "informed consent" if you will.

we already know that like many meds we have now..the potential side effects don't outweigh the symptoms/or condition treating it, hence why people will take meds that will make them have "explosive ........" or liver failure.

but this thread was so good..every response ..I wore out my "like" button.:thumb:

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users who are viewing this thread