A higher quality clearomizer that does not fall apart?

Status
Not open for further replies.

robertpri

ECF Veteran
Nov 3, 2009
I have no idea what brand name I bought, but I really love my five clearomizers [once I learned how to properly fill them]

But, I had one screwed into the standard 501 battery and I picked it up by the cart end. Okay, perhaps that was wrong, but what could a batty weigh?

The clear plastic shell of the cart just fall over. Dead. No repair.

I had one in my shirt pocket carrying case and while driving, reached for it. I pulled it out the case by the cart end. I don't have the cart end 'down' in my pocket because some leak.

The plastic shell just pulled right off. Dead. No repair.

A close look reveals that clear plastic shell is simply 'pushed on' some serrated notches with no staying power.

Q: I like my clearomizer, so where can I buy more that don't fall apart?

ddirtyvapes

Ultra Member
ECF Veteran
Jan 23, 2011
Portland, ME
Hmmm, have you gotten them more than once? Maybe you had a bad batch. Or maybe they suck, I don't know. Like I said, I'm not a huge fan of clearomizers to begin with and I've only gotten one pack of Flüxomizers... but since I have 'em, I use 'em, they've been holding up very well for me with a little TLC. Never had a problem and I've had them for about a month. Maybe you should recommend better ones if you know what they are (I don't mean that in a rude way, but there are plenty of people who like clearomizers more than me). On the plus side, I believe GotVapes sells replacement tubes. It's a pain to have to do that, but it's nice that they do.

EDIT: robert, I hear about clearomizers falling apart ALL the time. Do you really love them, or is it time to move on to something else? (More power to you if you do really love them, and I hope you find good ones.)

Last edited:

garyinco

ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Jul 1, 2010
CO, USA
There is a reason these things are called failomizers. I finally gave all mine away. I hear of people who've had a good experience switching out the tubes with a certain BD syringe body. That sounded like too much trouble for something that should work acceptably as you buy it. There is nothing like paying a premium price for juice and finding it all over your desk once it has leaked out... I opted for some of the MAP style tanks. They worked much better, but tanks have issues of their own.

And I wasn't impressed with the wicking capabilities of the suckomizers. They start off great, but the wicking falls off quickly. They do clean up nicely in an ultrasonic cleaner though. I'm happily back to LR and dual-coil cartomizers now.

leannebug

Vaping Master
ECF Veteran
Mar 5, 2010
the deep south
They never worked for me either

HOWEVER... I have been following a thread on Gotvapes lately that sounds promising. (The company that makes the clearos is the problem. Not the vendor). Appearantly some other companies are now jumping into the mix and making their own versions of the filter-less cartos. They are reported to be better.

I'm not ready to shell out more money to test them, as I love my duals, but if you really like them- I'd ask over at gotvapes for the other ones.

HTH!

Sent from the beach

zoiDman

My -0^10 = Nothing at All*
Supporting Member
ECF Veteran
Apr 16, 2010
So-Cal
One thing I'm confused about is you mentioned "Dead. No Repair".

Does that mean that you didn't try to repair them? Or that you tried to repair them and it didn't work?

Not here to defend Clearomizers. Because to me, the leaking has been Unexpceptable. But there are things that can be done that many people have found works.

locke2121

ECF Veteran
Verified Member
May 6, 2011
Da South!
I've been setting here studying my new clearos..and it seems to me to simply be a bad design at the connector end. The tank is press-fit onto the battery connector and held in place by friction. This in itself is a pretty standard thing...but it is the grooves cut into the connector that are the problem. They are vertical...while I'm sure this makes it easy to assemble..it also makes it easy to pull apart. A better design would be horizontal or slanted grooves that grip the tank and resist vertical movement. A gentle heating of the tank before press-fitting would be a good idea since it would conform to the connector better.

Credo

Ultra Member
ECF Veteran
Mar 28, 2011
MS
BD Syringe, tank mod, or skip the clear ones and go for metal casing.

I got a hand-full of BD 3ml syringes from Walmart pharmacy for a few bucks. After wearing out a couple of boxes of clearos with various syringe mods, home-made tanks, etc...I switched to stock metal CE2s or Giantomizers.

I've been using metal ones for months now. It didn't take me long at all to get a feel for when and how much to fill them.

The metal ones don't come apart and go back together as easily, but since Rev 5, you don't really need to crack them open (to torch the wicks) anyway. I just keep loading them with the same flavor till they die. Occasionally I'll wash the coil part with a few shots of distilled water through the center with a syringe, then do a few burns without drawing air through it, let it cool, give it a few more shots of water, a few more burns, then re-prime the coil with a drop or two of juice. That's the only 'cleaning' I do to them these days...and they last me for weeks like that.

If you do want to crack the metal ones open to do torching or true dry burns, it can be done:
Screw it on a big solid battery...an eGo for instance. Grip the battery in your hand...push the tip of the carto with your thumb, turn the whole thing a quarter turn, push again, repeat, repeat, repeat...till it pops off. You don't need much 'force' on your push...just patience...it can take a little time. When putting it back together...I usually give the base a single wrap of teflon plumber's tape just to be extra safe from leaks (metal ones do not have the o ring seal at the bottom).

Really, since I stopped trying to clean and change flavors and stuff...I haven't missed the clearos as much as I thought I would. The price has come down enough on these it's easier to just clean the coils and use the same flavor in one till it dies or I stop using that flavor juice...which ever comes first.

zoiDman

Supporting Member
ECF Veteran
Apr 16, 2010
So-Cal
I've been setting here studying my new clearos..and it seems to me to simply be a bad design at the connector end. The tank is press-fit onto the battery connector and held in place by friction. This in itself is a pretty standard thing...but it is the grooves cut into the connector that are the problem. They are vertical...while I'm sure this makes it easy to assemble..it also makes it easy to pull apart. A better design would be horizontal or slanted grooves that grip the tank and resist vertical movement. A gentle heating of the tank before press-fitting would be a good idea since it would conform to the connector better.

I think it isn’t so much the design but the choice of materials.

Consider the BD 3ml syringe mod. Only but a Very people have reported that this mod leaks. Why?

Because the BD syringe is made of Polystyrene. A material with a higher degree of malleability than the Acrylic used by the OEM, MiT. So when the syringe is pressed onto battery connector, the syringe tube can expand slightly forming a tight seal to the connector.

This is critical because leaking can because by two different problems.

One is when the battery connector is too small. If the tube doesn’t have a small enough Inside Diameter it will not seal. The other is when the battery connector is too large. If the tube can not expand sufficiently then it cracks. This causes leaks also.

So what is needed is a malleable material tube that has a small enough inside diameter to seal a small battery connector but has enough stretch to fit a large battery connector.

One other benefit is the BD doesn’t crack from e-Liquid formed Esters.

So why didn’t Martinez and MiT make the CE2’s Clearos out of Polystyrene? Because they are Stupid. And because Polystyrene isn’t crystal clear like Acrylic.

You see, they based their entire product not on Performance but on Visual Esthetics.

zoiDman

Supporting Member
ECF Veteran
Apr 16, 2010
So-Cal

If you do want to crack the metal ones open to do torching or true dry burns, it can be done:
Screw it on a big solid battery...an eGo for instance. Grip the battery in your hand...push the tip of the carto with your thumb, turn the whole thing a quarter turn, push again, repeat, repeat, repeat...till it pops off. You don't need much 'force' on your push...just patience...it can take a little time. When putting it back together...I usually give the base a single wrap of teflon plumber's tape just to be extra safe from leaks (metal ones do not have the o ring seal at the bottom).

Are you talking about the metal one or the plastic one? I have never heard of anyone removing a metal CE2 tube to do a Dry Burn.

Credo

Ultra Member
ECF Veteran
Mar 28, 2011
MS
So why didn’t Martinez and MiT make the CE2’s Clearos out of Polystyrene? Because they are Stupid. And because Polystyrene isn’t crystal clear like Acrylic.

You see, they based their entire product not on Performance but on Visual Esthetics.

Do you know for sure it is a matter of 'choice' that they use Polystyrene? If you do, please accept my apology.

There once was a guy who wanted to build some cars...there were all sorts of things his engineers begged him to use...he went all over the world trying to get the stuff they wanted and between politics, competitors, budgets, and contracts he could not afford...he had to settle for second best on many things, or not produce any car at all. Many would argue...never settle, all or nothing...but then you send a lot of employees home to go hungry.

I once designed a product myself. It required a certain kind of micro-chip from a specific supplier. I ordered, and waited, and waited, and waited...they had my money...and I waited some more. I finally re-designed the whole thing to use a different chip so I could launch...still had to pay for the first shipment from the first supplier...the chips from the second supplier were all 'duds'...sued them both, eventually got my money back...but by then 30 other competitors with much deeper marketing and distribution pockets had 20 different models already on store shelves.

All I'm saying is...it could be that the company has little choice but to use that crappy PV plastic. You might be right about it just being stubbornness, but I think there is probably more to it. Common sense says they could make all sorts of changes to the CE2 fairly easily that would make it a major success. Which leads me to wonder...if there might not be some kind of politics or contracts involved that are way over the small company's head at this juncture.

Will it hurt them?
Oh yeah...........

Credo

Ultra Member
ECF Veteran
Mar 28, 2011
MS
Are you talking about the metal one or the plastic one? I have never heard of anyone removing a metal CE2 tube to do a Dry Burn.

The ones I have use metal casings.
I've taken several of the older regular sized Rev 4 ones apart to torch the wicks.
I'm assuming the XL sized ones are built the same way.

I've never bothered to crack a Metal Rev 5 CE2 or Fluxomizer apart.
I just fill them and vape. From what I can see however, they are pushed together the same way Rev 4 was.

Hang tight a sec and I'll post a youtube vid Stormy did showing how to crack open the metal ones.

I've never seen a plastic CE2 sleeve myself other than the Clearos.

Last edited:

zoiDman

Supporting Member
ECF Veteran
Apr 16, 2010
So-Cal

All I'm saying is...it could be that the company has little choice but to use that crappy PV plastic. You might be right about it just being stubbornness, but I think there is probably more to it. Common sense says they could make all sorts of changes to the CE2 fairly easily that would make it a major success. Which leads me to wonder...if there might not be some kind of politics or contracts involved that are way over the small company's head at this juncture.

Will it hurt them?
Oh yeah...........

There were choices. Unfortunately Looks trumped Overall Performance.

I didn't say that stubbornness played any role in the choice of materials. Stupidity and Knowing that you are the only one making the CE2 type carto is more like it.

Not sure what you mean by "politics and contracts being over a "small companies head"?

The long and the short of it is MiT believed that vapers would except Anything that they made because there was no competition in this type of carto for over a year. That is now changing.

And never, Ever, EVER use the phrase 'Common Sense" in the same post as Martinez/MiT/RS or e-Liquid.con

BTW - Have you seen the CE3?

Credo

Ultra Member
ECF Veteran
Mar 28, 2011
MS
There were choices. Unfortunately Looks trumped Overall Performance.

I didn't say that stubbornness played any role in the choice of materials. Stupidity and Knowing that you are the only one making the CE2 type carto is more like it.

Not sure what you mean by "politics and contracts being over a "small companies head"?

The long and the short of it is MiT believed that vapers would except Anything that they made because there was no competition in this type of carto for over a year. That is now changing.

And never, Ever, EVER use the phrase 'Common Sense" in the same post as Martinez/MiT/RS or e-Liquid.con

BTW - Have you seen the CE3?

What I mean by industrial politics is, just because you want to use a particular part or material to build a product, it doesn't mean that you can get your hands on it. It might be politics (powerful people BLOCKING you, or creating impossibly expensive 'delays' in getting parts/materials that you want), it might be price, it might be a simple shortage of supply, it might be because of contracts you have with communities or governments to operate where you do, it can be anything really. The point is...when building a factory to make products...it's kind of rare for everyone to get what they want in the final product. All sorts of interests at play.

No, I haven't seen a CE3.

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.

Users who are viewing this thread