A Little Experiment

Status
Not open for further replies.

PeteMcArthur

ECF Veteran
Sep 27, 2008
Scotland
I'm getting myself freaked out lately with worries about possible future contamination of juice ( and possible banning ) so I'm going to have a go at making my own.

TBob, I hope your reading this as I'm going to steal some of your ideas :) The nicotine source will be General Extra Sterk Portion snus, which at least gives me a good idea of the input nicotine level, so on to a couple of questions

Simmering, I take it this means a very slow simmer, with no bubbling in the pot?

Is the pot covered?

Could the same effect be obtained by soaking the snus overnight without the heat?

Do you think it's worthwhile getting one of the big ultrasound cleaners and trying that?

For evaporation I was thinking may use an old filter coffee maker and just let it sit on the hot plate.

Any comments or observations would be very welcome.

dave1212

ECF Veteran
Sep 16, 2008
Atlanta, GA
Funny, I just ordered some 15 mg/portion swedish snus and had planned on doing the same thing :)

Tried with some camel snus over the past 24 hours, pretty much a complete failure. I Let it soak in pure VG for about 24 hours, then filtered it down with a coffee filter into a glass bottle, it's almost black. Bit the bullet and decided to drip it in an atomizer...smoked fine, but tastes like nothing with absolutely no throat hit. So basically I'm just smoking the VG. Tried to keep it as concentrated as possible, used about 4 packets of snus and just enough VG to barely cover everything...every few hours I carefully and gently mushed the packets around with a chopstick to squeeze the nic out. The funny thing is, I just noticed that there is an expiration date on the snus can, "best if used before Sept 8, 2008"...probably factors into the failure a little bit. This stuff completely flopped in the states, nobody uses it.

Last edited:

satake

Nov 24, 2008
MT-USA
Just an idea.....

Why not try extracting from nicorette lozenges? At least that way you know how much(mg) you're starting with. I would guess hot water or strong ETOH(maybe everclear or 151) should be enough to free the nicotine from the binders in the lozenge. After that you could just reduce (evaporate maybe or slow cook) the solution down to a volume that's easy to work with

dave1212

ECF Veteran
Sep 16, 2008
Atlanta, GA
Just an idea.....

Why not try extracting from nicorette lozenges? At least that way you know how much(mg) you're starting with. I would guess hot water or strong ETOH(maybe everclear or 151) should be enough to free the nicotine from the binders in the lozenge. After that you could just reduce (evaporate maybe or slow cook) the solution down to a volume that's easy to work with

Was thinking of that, too...got about half a box right here just collecting dust, saving them for emergencies.

redw

Jun 8, 2009
Was thinking of that, too...got about half a box right here just collecting dust, saving them for emergencies.

One: I am cheap.
Two, I am waiting for big Pharm to find a way to take these away. A 30 year clove-... habit died in 3 puffs on an e-cig and I am not going back for anyone. I watch the FDA closely and have my own covert plans to have what I need-hording 510 parts, for exmaple.:evil:

Three: I went back to chemisty 202 and am devising my own e-juice recipes.

Nicotine can be had without boiling down cigs, scraping the dust off ancient bottles of pesticdes, or other quasi-deadly tactics. Contact a chemcial supply house and order a bottle of nicotine sulfate-it comes in a 60/40 solution in water. It is pure, clean and its proprotions are accurate. In the US it runs $103.00 for 25 ml. Sounds outragous, but when one realizes that 3 drops makes a 50ml bottle of juice with standard ingredients the jug would last every board member a decade with some to spare. In most cases, a handler's license is not needed for purchase. When I determine the appropriate proportions for mg per ml I'll post recipes for different strengths,

However, use great care. It is absolutely toxic.
Happy vaping
Geriatric chemist

let_there_be_vaping

ECF Veteran
Apr 29, 2009
Nicotine can be had without boiling down cigs, scraping the dust off ancient bottles of pesticdes, or other quasi-deadly tactics. Contact a chemcial supply house and order a bottle of nicotine sulfate-it comes in a 60/40 solution in water. It is pure, clean and its proprotions are accurate. In the US it runs $103.00 for 25 ml. Sounds outragous, but when one realizes that 3 drops makes a 50ml bottle of juice with standard ingredients the jug would last every board member a decade with some to spare. In most cases, a handler's license is not needed for purchase. When I determine the appropriate proportions for mg per ml I'll post recipes for different strengths,

However, use great care. It is absolutely toxic.
Happy vaping
Geriatric chemist

Alrighty, this sounds very interesting! However, please explain, if you would, the degree of "absolutely toxic" that you mean. I have read where a drop of pure nicotine on the skin will cause death within 15 minutes. Is it that degree of toxic, or another?

Thanks!

P.S. I'm really looking forward to your recipes too!

Last edited:

radiokaos

Unregistered Supplier
ECF Veteran
Mar 11, 2009
Phoenix, AZ
www.aromaejuice.com

Lets get real here. This stuff will kill you. You can't mix this in your back yard and hope you will come out alive. This is for university, and major labs. Messing with this stuff will put you in your grave. If you had one drop on your skin or inhaled fumes you would be dead in minutes. This is not to be taken lightly. Maybe you should use the search button to see what others have said about buying this stuff. Stay away at all costs.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users who are viewing this thread