A little help here!!!

Status
Not open for further replies.

asha23

ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Jan 21, 2012
London
I'm reading through this entire forum, but I only have so many hours in a day!

So far, all my DIY recipes taste really soapy and crap. I'm going to let them steep for a few weeks, some of them I have left the lid off... All I can taste is the raw ingredients...

I don't have a problem with this, I know that there is a period of experimentation to go through. But I can't help but think that the base liquids I bought overpower the flavourings.

Too much flavouring = unpleasant... Dilute... Too much base liquid....

If anyone has any tips, I'd appreciate it... Luckily I'm not adding the nicotine base (too expensive to waste) --- I'm trying to get a good base flavour with 0 nic, before I waste my nic liquid...

If anyone has any pointers on how to make homebrew taste good, I'd really appreciate it.

Why are they tasting soapy? I'm using proper calculators, but the ratios always seem a little off...

Can anyone recommend a good source to get un-soapy tasting base liquids? I'm using Decadent Vapours stuff (In the UK)

Plus any tips on steeping... IE.. How long can I expect to wait before my homebrew is vapeable?

So far I have made Cinnamon/Menthol, Cherry/Menthol, RY4/Caramel/Vanilla.... All taste crappy...

I realise this is an art, and I should keep trying.... I'm a complete noob and don't want to waste my bases. ;)

Thanks in advance guys!!! I really need some mentoring here. I'm not trying to be an expert, I just want to make some (any) vapeable juices!

Is it patience I need?

Semiretired

Vaping Master
ECF Veteran
Sep 24, 2011
Middle Georgia
Are you trying to copy some of the recipes from the forum? That is where I started and then tweaked from there. Flavor combinations that I have made up on my own - some worked - some did not. They made sense to me when I thought of them, but did not taste in my mouth like they did in my mind when I thought of them...

To add, it is also like cooking - taste test it. Hmmm this needs a little bit more of this or if I add that then it will do this... I will add 5 more drops (warm it with warm water) - let it sit overnight and sometimes it is great the next day - other times I can tell it is better, but needs a few more drops... Make sure you write it down so you do not make the same mistakes twice. I did not a few times and did learn the hard way...

asha23

ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Jan 21, 2012
London
Thanks for replying - you must get so many noobs, all asking the same questions over and over again! ;)

At the moment I'm using 4.5ml of base (50/50 PG VG) and 0.5 of flavourings to make 5 mil. I'm not adding nic yet as I want to make sure my juice tastes good before I reduce the base ratio.

That's based on the eJuice iPhone app measurements - 10% flavouring. I'm using a syringe to get accurate measurement as with my rubbish dropper I was averaging 60 drops to the mil. ;)

I have tried reducing the base by .5 mil and adding more flavourings... Way too strong.. Have gone back to trusting the calculator...

It's all tasting a soapy straight off the bat. Do you think I need to let it steep for longer?.... I have read that some mixes are instantly vapeable... None of mine are... I'm getting a real soapy flavour... It's either really soapy, or really soapy with really strong flavouring taste... Always with the soapy, perfumey taste ;)

I think I'm going to work in 2 mil ratios moving forward, it seems more prudent... Not that PG / VG are expensive... I have 100mil 54% Platinum Ice nic juice for when my flavours are good...

Is this a good way of doing it? Get the flavour right, then add the nic?

This is definitely more of an art than I first thought... One I am very keen to learn... Props to the juice houses who make this stuff taste good ;)

PS. Thanks for the advice to wash the bottles first... I'll try that... Hadn't even thought to do that.

Last edited:

pinellaspete

ECF Veteran
Aug 16, 2011
Safety Harbor, FL
Okay...First things first.

Menthols and RY4s are pretty tough to make right out of the gate. People spend months perfecting their recipes.

Okay...Tasting soap?
Try vaping your base without any flavorings. It should taste like......nothing. If that tastes like soap you may have a problem with your base.

Moving on...

Lets' try something easy to make at least one good recipe.

Take your 4.5ml 0 NIC base and add the following:

Cherry 10 drops
Menthol 3 drops
Ethyl Maltol 2 drops

Have any questions?

Good luck!

Pete

Bostonsnboxers

Ultra Member
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Nov 9, 2011
NW OH, US
It's entirely possible it's your base. Try vaping a little of that with no flavoring...if it tastes soapy, no amount of flavoring will fix it. I bought some now brand vg once...it gets great reviews from everyone, but to me it tastes like scented liquid soap (it took me awhile to figure it out). Now whenever I buy a new base I test it before I add flavor....live and learn ;)

MaxUT

Ultra Member
ECF Veteran
Jul 4, 2009
Ogden, UT, US
My experience with Decadent Vapours flavorings has been that they taste best at 15%, give or take a few percent.

The other posters have given some good advice and I'll repeat some of it:

- make sure the mixing bottles are very clean
- taste-test your base
- measure accurately
- keep notes/label the bottles (for computer notes I suggest a reference number for both, like 120211CIN)
- try for good single-flavoring juices first (you can experiment with mixing singles together later)

I recommend using syringes for simple, accurate measuring: 1mL for flavorings, 3mL for base when mixing test batches.

Please let us know how it goes.

brokepainter

ECF Veteran
Nov 26, 2011
Bristol, Tn USA
Ry4 and any tobacco takes time to steep. And for me I dont think putting tobacco in a hot water bath helps, it still needs a week or two to fully develop. You can give fruit flavors a hot water bath and it will be ready. Oh, and it seems that vanilla is another flavor that needs time to get better. Good luck.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users who are viewing this thread