• This forum has been archived

If you'd like to post a thread, post it here instead!

View Forum

A NEW/OLD LOOK @ A New Heaven And A New Earth

Status
Not open for further replies.

eHuman

Ultra Member
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Jul 18, 2010
San Diego
In the Greek there are two common words that in English are both translated as "new".

One of them meaning brand spankin' never been before "new",
and the other being "renewed" or "made new", or not previously known.

néos "new in time," what was not there before. "what has only just arisen or appeared,"
kainós denotes "new," of that which is unaccustomed or unused, not "new" in time, recent, but "new" as to form or quality. Renewed. Not new, but never before used.

The new heaven and earth, and the new Jerusalem talked about in Revelation use the Greek word kainós (renewed), not néos (brand new).

What does this do for/to the classic understanding of "A NEW HEAVEN AND A NEW EARTH"?

Southern Gent

ECF Veteran
Oct 18, 2009
Tennessee
kainos--I think would best be described as "new to us". I can see "renewed" because we will be renewed. It will also be old because of the nature of God who created it. It will be new to us but something we will be easily accustomed because it will be the nature of the God we already know. It will be old and new in that God will have what He desired from the beginning.

It doesn't do much to my understanding as I've yet to find a clear passage that says we are going to "heaven" as we picture it.

Saintscruiser

Ultra Member
ECF Veteran
Jul 24, 2010
Mississippi
You know, I know of people who might (not on this board, of course :)) think me a simpleton......SG...stop laughing!! <------ I'm pointing at you!

Anyway.....eHuman, I love you I do....I love all of you.....but in answer to your question:

WHO CARES! JESUS WILL BE THERE! :w00t: NO MORE DEATH....MY FAMILY WILL BE THERE AND MY 4 LEGGED BABIES!!! WHOOOOO HOOOO! Thank You Jesus! Amein, Amein, Amein........oh, and I'm going to invite Jesus over for Living Water coffee, and you're ALL invited! :w00t:

Okay......busted.....I've been listening to Praise and Worship music on Pandora. Can you tell?:p

eHuman

Ultra Member
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Jul 18, 2010
San Diego
Go on.............

Well somewhere back in my studies, I started coming to the conclusion that it's possible we weren't intended to inhabit Heaven for all eternity, but earth. Starting in Genesis and anding in Revelation. (Gotta make time one day to flush that out entirely).

"Sorta" I think I see a merging of the two, Renewed Heaven on (a renewed) earth (The culmination of what the "process" or the old, was being used for in the first place), the City of God come down to earth. Christ in the City and the Father, we in Christ and the City and the Father, never needing to go out again...

Your thoughts?

Last edited:

Southern Gent

ECF Veteran
Oct 18, 2009
Tennessee
Well somewhere back in my studies, I started coming to the conclusion that it's possible we weren't intended to inhabit Heaven for all eternity, but earth. Starting in Genesis and anding in Revelation. (Gotta make time one day to flush that out entirely).

"Sorta" I think I see a merging of the two, Renewed Heaven on (a renewed) earth (The culmination of what the "process" or the old, was being used for in the first place), the City of God come down to earth. Christ in the City and the Father, we in Christ and the City and the Father, never needing to go out again...

Your thoughts?

I've actually been leaning that way for a few years now. Certainly not the orthodox view point.

Southern Gent

ECF Veteran
Oct 18, 2009
Tennessee
According to His promise. This promise is found in Isa 65:17; 66:22. Also compare Rev 21:1.
New heavens and a new earth. These shall exist AFTER the world shall have been destroyed by fire. This will be the new abode for the righteous. Cf: Mt 13:41,42; Rev 20:15; 21:1-5,8.

I think the orthodox problem lies in the difference is between "time" or "quality."

eHuman

Ultra Member
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Jul 18, 2010
San Diego
The world was destroyed by flood of water.
The world will be destroyed by burning of fire.

Would you say (in mordern English) that the world was not destroyed by water but cleansed and purified of evil by it? And while it is the very same earth that we live in it is new in that sense?

In the same regards, that the world will be cleansed and purified by fire, as opposed to the "picture" we get from the word "destroyed"?

I have often thought (just me, not from the Word) that if God had to physically and completely do away with the earth and replaced it with another (as opposed to making the same one into what it was intended to eventually be all along) that on some level Satan would have won a small victory and thwarted God's plans.

Not to start over, but to make right.

Southern Gent

ECF Veteran
Oct 18, 2009
Tennessee
The world was destroyed by flood of water.
The world will be destroyed by burning of fire.

Would you say (in mordern English) that the world was not destroyed by water but cleansed and purified of evil by it? And while it is the very same earth that we live in it is new in that sense?

In the same regards, that the world will be cleansed and purified by fire, as opposed to the "picture" we get from the word "destroyed"?

I have often thought (just me, not from the Word) that if God had to physically and completely do away with the earth and replaced it with another (as opposed to making the same one into what it was intended to eventually be all along) that on some level Satan would have won a small victory and thwarted God's plans.

Not to start over, but to make right.

Have you got your Lexicon handy? I don't right now.
Look and see if the same context/wording for destroyed is the same. When I think destroyed by fire..I'm thinking purification in some context.

Jason_in_nc

ECF Veteran
Jan 25, 2010
It's a secret!
I have actually been looking into the same topic for a bit and came to the same conclusion. Our eternal habitation will be on the "new earth". An Eden eternal if you will. God started everything on the right path, then we had a diversion with Sin. Once that has played out, everything will be put back on it's original course.

Southern Gent

ECF Veteran
Oct 18, 2009
Tennessee
I have actually been looking into the same topic for a bit and came to the same conclusion. Our eternal habitation will be on the "new earth". An Eden eternal if you will. God started everything on the right path, then we had a diversion with Sin. Once that has played out, everything will be put back on it's original course.

Yep...seems to me that God is coming to dwell with us rather than us going to some mystical place to be with Him.

eHuman

Ultra Member
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Jul 18, 2010
San Diego
But it will be Heaven! On earth!

Concider:
The earth is made new.
The Heavens are made new.
They are both made ready (renewed) to be combined together and joined as one. Something new in the sense that it has never been before I.E. newness of nature.
The purpose of the old heaven and the old earth will expire and give way by the necessity of a new purpose.

We are told that were God is, there we will be also.
Emmanuel means God with us.
The city of God will come down to the earth.
We will be part of the temple or city of God.
The Kingdom of God is amoung us.

Rev 21:3
And I heard a loud voice from the throne, saying, "Behold, the tabernacle of God is among men, and He will dwell among them, and they shall be His people, and God Himself will be among them,

Rev 21:10-11
10 And he carried me away in the Spirit to a great and high mountain, and showed me the holy city, Jerusalem, coming down out of heaven from God,
11 having the glory of God. Her brilliance was like a very costly stone, as a stone of crystal-clear jasper.

No real structure, just ramblings...

Southern Gent

ECF Veteran
Oct 18, 2009
Tennessee
But it will be Heaven! On earth!

Concider:
The earth is made new.
The Heavens are made new.
They are both made ready (renewed) to be combined together and joined as one. Something new in the sense that it has never been before I.E. newness of nature.
The purpose of the old heaven and the old earth will expire and give way by the necessity of a new purpose.

We are told that were God is, there we will be also.
Emmanuel means God with us.
The city of God will come down to the earth.
We will be part of the temple or city of God.
The Kingdom of God is amoung us.

Rev 21:3
And I heard a loud voice from the throne, saying, "Behold, the tabernacle of God is among men, and He will dwell among them, and they shall be His people, and God Himself will be among them,

Rev 21:10-11
10 And he carried me away in the Spirit to a great and high mountain, and showed me the holy city, Jerusalem, coming down out of heaven from God,
11 having the glory of God. Her brilliance was like a very costly stone, as a stone of crystal-clear jasper.

No real structure, just ramblings...

I don't know if I'd consider it ramblings or not. It is exactly what Peter said we are to look forward to as Christians.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users who are viewing this thread