A note on the new Czech legislation for parcels arriving from the US

Status
Not open for further replies.

MichaelOz

ECF Veteran
Jul 23, 2010
Czech Republic
I live in Czech Republic and up until 2 months ago USPS parcels would take about 10 days to arrive. First Class and Priority had about the same delivery time.

What I didn't know is that I was experiencing a golden age of postal deliveries and sadly this has changed since the new legislation was passed which now means parcels with values exceeding $90 are subject to a new taxing scheme.

Since this new scheme is in place my parcels now take up to 2 months to arrive. As you can imagine having juice in transit for 2 months means by the time it arrives it is well seeped.

There isn't much that can be done about this situation, but it is really annoying. The US suppliers I use try there very best to get their packages out quick, sometimes same or next day. The USPS also do a good job of getting the parcel out the door and mailed. The whole efficiency dies when the parcel gets hung up in customs as they manually search though every parcel and process it.

It sits there for a month or longer.

What I don't really understand is, what real legal claim does the government have for making a markup on these packages? Why should I have to pay a penalty for buying something? The suppliers I deal with have registered companies who pay their tax in the US. It seems like daylight robbery.

My main gripe is perhaps not having to pay the tax, but mainly that it hangs up the delivery time not by a few days, but by over a month.

Sickening!

Valsacar

Ultra Member
Supporting Member
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Aug 16, 2010
Seoul
Their country, their rules. By buying outside of the country you're sending money out of the local economy (something a government tries to limit).

You can always go with a supplier that doesn't always fill out the customs form 100% accurately. I've gotten a lot of boxes of "child's toy" and "gift card" that are valued at 5USD.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users who are viewing this thread