A question for others that have puff counters or keep up with your puffs.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Zach904

ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Feb 3, 2014
Jax, Fl
But a puff isn't a good measurement. There are long puffs, short puffs, even puffs that climb on rock :p
The ohms and watts play a factor, how much vapor you are producing...
I think it would be better to judge your intake by how much liquid you use. If you take 300 puffs and only use 3ml, that's less than 100 puffs that uses 4ml for example.

MotherNatural

ECF Veteran
Verified Member
But a puff isn't a good measurement. There are long puffs, short puffs, even puffs that climb on rock :p
The ohms and watts play a factor, how much vapor you are producing...
I think it would be better to judge your intake by how much liquid you use. If you take 300 puffs and only use 3ml, that's less than 100 puffs that uses 4ml for example.

LOL…fat puffs, skinny puffs :D Good one, Zach!

Sioun

Feb 25, 2014
Rural Eastern PA
For a very rough guideline, figure one cigarette gives you 1mg of nicotine, so one ml of 18mg juice is about equal to 18 cigs.

If you are using 1ml of 18mg juice per day, you're getting roughly the equivalent amount of nicotine in one pack of cigarettes. If you're using 3ml of 18mg juice per day, you're getting roughly the equivalent of three packs of cigs. I'll the rest of the math to you.

It's easier to cut juice strength than to cut the number of puffs, methinks.

Rosenec

ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Dec 29, 2013
Buffalo, NY
For a very rough guideline, figure one cigarette gives you 1mg of nicotine, so one ml of 18mg juice is about equal to 18 cigs.

If you are using 1ml of 18mg juice per day, you're getting roughly the equivalent amount of nicotine in one pack of cigarettes. If you're using 3ml of 18mg juice per day, you're getting roughly the equivalent of three packs of cigs. I'll the rest of the math to you.

Not sure where you read this, but IMO you are mistaken. The math gets fussy when you try to compare apples to oranges. I think 1ml is equal to around 6 smokes.

eebant

Supporting Member
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Dec 31, 2013
Hummelstown, PA
KODIAK™;12490548 said:
I haven't read the whole thread but have a question...

Does the puff counter on those things also count "priming" puffs? You know... the 1 or 2 puffs some take before the actual draw. Just curious if one needs to draw for a certain amount of time before it registers an "official" puff.

Good question. I just tried it with 3 priming puffs and it only registered as one.

Sioun

Feb 25, 2014
Rural Eastern PA
Not sure where you read this, but IMO you are mistaken. The math gets fussy when you try to compare apples to oranges. I think 1ml is equal to around 6 smokes.

The amount of nicotine in a cigarette will vary a bit according to brand; one may be 0.7mg, another may be 1.3mg, but one mg of nicotine is a reasonable ballpark figure for how much nicotine one cigarette provides.

Since eliquid is rated by the percentage of nicotine per milliliter (mg/ml), it follows that one ml of 18mg juice contains 18mg of nicotine, about the same amount as 18 cigarettes. If you use 6mg (or 6% -- same thing) that gives you 6mg of nicotine for each ml of juice, or, about the same amount in six cigarettes ... so ... one ml of 18% juice equals (roughly) 18 cigarettes and three ml of 6% juice also equals (roughly) 18 cigarettes.

Like I said, it's a rough guideline. It is hard to compare cigs to ecigs, but I think this gives us some idea of how to compare the two.

dedsouth333

Mar 6, 2014
Mississippi
I used to smoke a pack and a half a day of reds. I woudn't worry too much, unless you are going through over 5ml (half of a "standard" sized juice bottle) daily. Drink plenty of water/sports drinks, and you should be fine.

I have definitely upped my water intake over the past day. Dehydration must have been one of the parts I missed in all of my research, haha.

Yeah, I'm about to order a bunch of different juices and experiment with my nic intake a lot more.

KODIAK™;12490548 said:
I haven't read the whole thread but have a question...

Does the puff counter on those things also count "priming" puffs? You know... the 1 or 2 puffs some take before the actual draw. Just curious if one needs to draw for a certain amount of time before it registers an "official" puff.

Good question. I just tried it with 3 priming puffs and it only registered as one.

It just counts how many times the button is depressed and held, so you can prime away without it registering.

Rosenec

ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Dec 29, 2013
Buffalo, NY
The amount of nicotine in a cigarette will vary a bit according to brand; one may be 0.7mg, another may be 1.3mg, but one mg of nicotine is a reasonable ballpark figure for how much nicotine one cigarette provides.

Since eliquid is rated by the percentage of nicotine per milliliter (mg/ml), it follows that one ml of 18mg juice contains 18mg of nicotine, about the same amount as 18 cigarettes. If you use 6mg (or 6% -- same thing) that gives you 6mg of nicotine for each ml of juice, or, about the same amount in six cigarettes ... so ... one ml of 18% juice equals (roughly) 18 cigarettes and three ml of 6% juice also equals (roughly) 18 cigarettes.

Like I said, it's a rough guideline. It is hard to compare cigs to ecigs, but I think this gives us some idea of how to compare the two.

Your math makes sense, but our bodies don't absorb nicotine the same with vaping as they do with smoking. Most of the nicotine vapors absorb is through their cheeks not the lungs and the molecules are much bigger meaning we don't get all the nicotine.

JTrain23

ECF Veteran
Jan 21, 2014
Lubbock, TX, USA
I am about 300-350 puffs a day. 24mg (down from 36mg) nic is what I vape. I have about a 5-6 second draw as well. I was a heavy smoker. 2 PAD Marlboro Reds for 20 years. Don't concern yourself so much with the quantity you vape as long as you aren't smoking. But you may want a lower nic juice to switch off every now and then.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Sioun

Feb 25, 2014
Rural Eastern PA
Nicotine is absorbed very quickly by mucous membranes.

In a room where people are smoking there is some detectable nicotine in the air because not all of the smoke gets inhaled … some nicotine is emitted from the burning end of the cigarette. The smoke exhaled by the smokers contains almost no nicotine; it is absorbed by the smoker.

When the air is tested in a room where people are vaping there is virtually no nicotine in the air; very nearly all of the nicotine is absorbed by the vaper.

Somebody asked me one day how much eliquid I used in a day and I didn't know, so I devised an experiment. I put everything away, took two fresh, clean tanks and a 30ml bottle of 18mg juice and used only those things until the bottle was empty. That took 11 days. When I smoked, I smoked about 2.5 packs per day.

30 ml / 11 days = 2.73 ml of juice per day
2.73 ml * 18mg/ml = 49mg

So, 2.5 packs a day @ about 1mg per cigarette is about 50mg of nicotine per day. And my juice calculation comes up with 49mg per day. And yes, I repeated it … and got the same results.

So, forget counting puffs. We all puff differently. To compare your nicotine consumption between cigarettes and ecigs, you need to know how much you smoked, how much ejuice you use in a day, and the strength of the juice. Multiply the ml of juice you use in a day times the strength of the juice and the answer is the approximate equivalent number of cigarettes per day.

If you smoked unusually strong or unusually weak cigarettes, you may be able to find a more accurate figure than 1mg per cigarette for your brand, but 1mg per cig is a reasonable number for a rough ballpark estimate.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users who are viewing this thread