A question for others that have puff counters or keep up with your puffs.

Status
Not open for further replies.

dedsouth333

Mar 6, 2014
Mississippi
Ok. So I've been vaping (I believe) very heavily since I started 4 days ago. My question to you guys is: If you have puff counters or keep up with your puff count at all, what do you consider "normal" or "heavy" vaping?

I ask because in the first 3 days I noticed I had reset my counter (it's an MVP 2.0) and had come back around to about 150 by the end of my third day. So that's well over 300 puffs/day at 18mg/ml nicotine strength and I have no idea whether that's too much, pretty middle of the road or what for a former pack-a-day Marlboro Red smoker.

The thing that has me a bit worried that it may be a bit much is that now, towards the end of my forth day, I'm having to hit my vaporizer to stave off headaches, nausea, an all around upset stomach (if you catch my drift) and I'm even breaking out in sweats when I shouldn't be. I'm thinking that if I'm going to be puffing away this much, I may need to cut my nic levels way down or something, but I wanted to get some opinions, lest it possibly be something serious.:(

Thanks to all of you helpful people in advance.

Tealady12

ECF Veteran
Sep 12, 2013
St Paul, MN
Congratulations on your choice to quit. At this point do not worry about how much how much you are puffing, your goal is to get off the cigarettes, puff away. However, if you are feeling sick you may want to adjust your nicotine level. What I did after a few days, was to have 1 tank at 18 and 1 tank at 8. I would switch off depending what my need was at the time, the need for nicotine (physical addiction) or the need for the hand mouth action (emotional/habit addiction). This method did help me with some of the adjustments/symptoms. It took me about 10 days to fully change over. Remember you body is withdrawing from 1000's of chemicals from the tobacco, take care of it during this process. Drink plenty of water.

I believe it is very typical while you are making the conversion to have some difficulty determining how much or how little is right. They symptoms you speak of can be either too much nicotine or not enough nicotine. One should also be aware of the symptoms of nicotine poisoning just in case, there are several articles on this forum of what to expect while you quit.
here is link to one
http://www.e-cigarette-forum.com/fo...hen-quitting-tobacco-changing-ecigarette.html

Last edited:

dedsouth333

Mar 6, 2014
Mississippi
Congratulations on your choice to quit. At this point do not worry about how much how much you are puffing, your goal is to get off the cigarettes, puff away. However, if you are feeling sick you may want to adjust your nicotine level. What I did after a few days, was to have 1 tank at 18 and 1 tank at 8. I would switch off depending what my need was at the time, the need for nicotine or the need for the hand mouth action.

I believe it is very typical while you are making the conversion to have some difficulty determining how much or how little is right. They symptoms you speak of can be either too much nicotine or not enough nicotine. One should also be aware of the symptoms of nicotine poisoning just in case, there are several articles on this forum of what to expect while you quit.
here is link to one
http://www.e-cigarette-forum.com/fo...hen-quitting-tobacco-changing-ecigarette.html

Thanks! I'm about to give that a read. Yeah, goal #1 is definitely getting off of cigarettes. I'm trying to make sure I'm not going overboard right out the gate, haha.

It sounds to me that you're nic level is a bit high.

When I would watch a puff counter I was in the 850 puffs per day area.

I figured out rather quickly that 18mg per ml was too high for me.

850!:blink: That's pretty hardcore, haha. It's also a bit hard for me to figure out how to set my vaporizer, too. I've been filling an iClear 16B up about halfway, 2-3 times a day so far and I can't tell (other than massive cuban cigar hits or totally dry hits) whether it's too high or too low. I guess I just need to keep playing with it.

I'm pretty certain that the nic levels are going to come down, though.

MasteroftheVape

ECF Veteran
Jan 12, 2014
Columbia, IL, USA
would be more accurate to track the amount of juice you use than the "puffs". Too much nicotine can cause you to have nausea, headache, vertigo and such so the fact that puffing more takes them away makes me think your not vaping "too much". Add to the fact a 1ppd red smoker like yourself probably has quite the nicotine tolerance. Few possibilities:
1. Your still going through withdraws from the ciggarettes. Big tobacco adds so much crap to smokes to make them more addictive its shameful. They also add chemicals to aid in nicotine absorption by your body. Even though your still getting some nicotine, your not getting all the other addictive crap they add, nor is the nicotine getting absorbed as well as you are used to.
2. Not enough nicotine to keep withdraws away. Vaping nicotine doesnt absorb in your lungs nearly as well as your old reds did. You might need to bump your level up to start.
3. You sir, have the noro virus thats been going around. Its only coincidental that you got sick when you started vaping.

All and all, vaping is an alternative to smoking and not a replacement. By that I mean it's a whole diffferent ball game, you have to try a lot of different things and find what works best. Up the nic, or lower the nic. If you were a pack a day smoker, unless you use 10+ml of 18mg juice a day, you shouldnt have any symptoms of nicotine poisoning.

Last edited:

Zach904

ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Feb 3, 2014
Jax, Fl
The most important thing (imo) is to successfully get away from smoking completely.. So puff on your ecig as often as you feel like.. just stay away from cigs!! As time goes on, you can worry about how much you puff.. just stay away from cigs! One day at a time, one thing at a time. If you restrict yourself too much, you might end up going back to cigs. Just stay away from cigs!! Vape on!
After around a month, that feeling of craving a cig was completely gone for me and I am smoke free 6 months now :D In the beginning my body dealt with all sorts of weird as it was transitioning from the way it was used to getting nicotine (a decades worth) to the new cleaner vapor way of getting nicotine. There were cravings but I was able to accept the fact I would calm those cravings with a steady puff of vapor any time I needed to. I just stayed away from cigs at all costs! :)

Rosenec

ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Dec 29, 2013
Buffalo, NY
I don't really watch my puff count at all, but 300 a day is not much. A typical day I use about 5 ml of juice and some days it may be as high as 10. Some folks on here use 10 +ml every day. So don't worry your going over board. Vaping is not smoking so you don't get the same sensation, and may feel the need to use it more. You may want to try 12mg juice and puff a little more.
If your using iclear 16 clearo try setting your watts to 8. That is a good starting place to find your vaping sweet spot.
Best of luck

dedsouth333

Mar 6, 2014
Mississippi
would be more accurate to track the amount of juice you use than the "puffs". Too much nicotine can cause you to have nausea, headache, vertigo and such so the fact that puffing more takes them away makes me think your not vaping "too much". Add to the fact a 1ppd red smoker like yourself probably has quite the nicotine tolerance. Few possibilities:
1. Your still going through withdraws from the ciggarettes. Big tobacco adds so much crap to smokes to make them more addictive its shameful. They also add chemicals to aid in nicotine absorption by your body. Even though your still getting some nicotine, your not getting all the other addictive crap they add, nor is the nicotine getting absorbed as well as you are used to.
2. Not enough nicotine to keep withdraws away. Vaping nicotine doesnt absorb in your lungs nearly as well as your old reds did. You might need to bump your level up to start.
3. You sir, have the noro virus thats been going around. Its only coincidental that you got sick when you started vaping.

All and all, vaping is an alternative to smoking and not a replacement. By that I mean it's a whole diffferent ball game, you have to try a lot of different things and find what works best. Up the nic, or lower the nic. If you were a pack a day smoker, unless you use 10+ml of 18mg juice a day, you shouldnt have any symptoms of nicotine poisoning.

You do make some very good points. Some that I hadn't even come close to considering at this point. I'll play around and see what comes out of it. The main goal atm is that I don't pick cigarettes back up and I'm trying everything possible to keep on vaping.

The most important thing (imo) is to successfully get away from smoking completely.. So puff on your ecig as often as you feel like.. just stay away from cigs!! As time goes on, you can worry about how much you puff.. just stay away from cigs! One day at a time, one thing at a time. If you restrict yourself too much, you might end up going back to cigs. Just stay away from cigs!! Vape on!
After around a month, that feeling of craving a cig was completely gone for me and I am smoke free 6 months now :D In the beginning my body dealt with all sorts of weird as it was transitioning from the way it was used to getting nicotine (a decades worth) to the new cleaner vapor way of getting nicotine. There were cravings but I was able to accept the fact I would calm those cravings with a steady puff of vapor any time I needed to. I just stayed away from cigs at all costs! :)

That's the plan!:biggrin:

I don't really watch my puff count at all, but 300 a day is not much. A typical day I use about 5 ml of juice and some days it may be as high as 10. Some folks on here use 10 +ml every day. So don't worry your going over board. Vaping is not smoking so you don't get the same sensation, and may feel the need to use it more. You may want to try 12mg juice and puff a little more.
If your using iclear 16 clearo try setting your watts to 8. That is a good starting place to find your vaping sweet spot.
Best of luck

Yeah, I'm about to start playing with my juices a lot more now and see what sort of results I can come up with. Not to mention that I've been getting my juices from MBV so far because they're cheap enough I can do as much experimenting as I want, haha.

I also have been playing with my settings more and more the longer I vape and actually set it as high as my little MVP would go at one point, but after I read your post I actually took a look at it and I had actually turned it down to 6. Now I've bumped it up to 8, then 8.5 and now it's on 9 but I may turn it back down to see what happens.

Those are also signs of dehydration. Get some powerade and drink up to restore balance to your electrolytes and drink plenty of water if you're going to vape.

This is also a very good point. I have noticed the more heavily I vape the thirstier I seem to become. So I'm definitely about to start keeping a closer eye on my fluid intake. Not to mention that if MasteroftheVape is right about the noro virus, I might need to be keeping a closer than normal eye on it anyway, haha.

I have a VV-V3 w/puff counter. It resets when I turn it off for safely putting in my pocket. I hope puff counting people aren't leaving these batteries unsafely turned On just to keep their Puff count settings.

I'd like to see that changed in all upcoming models.

You know, you may just be right, because until I read this I had pretty much forgotten that mine even had an On/Off button. It stays charged for so long and I never actually carry it in my pocket really. It's normally in my hand, on my desk or lying out on the console of my truck.

dedsouth333

Mar 6, 2014
Mississippi
I started out at 12mg and it gave me headaches with feeling queasy...so I cut back to 6mg. I'm a chain vapor. I am always vaping :vapor:

Cutting back helped me... If you are vaping a lot, like I do, you may need to cut back your nic...

Yeah, I think I'm going to start experimenting in all directions (you can never have too much juice! haha). Higher nic, lower nic, different PG/VG combinations, etc. I may even end up with a bit of a routine (certain juices/nic levels for certain times of the day). I think that's part of the reason I love the idea of vaping so much. No matter how I experiment or what I want to try, it's all better for me than smoking! Haha.

Btw: I Vape around 10ml of juice a day. My husband Vapes more than that. :vapor:

I will say that reading all the comments like this do make me feel much better about my ml/day intake.

Thank you all sooo very much for helping me out and calming my worried mind down (sorry, I'm a bit of a worrier by nature; I blame my aunt, haha).

CalamityJess

ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Thank you all sooo very much for helping me out and calming my worried mind down (sorry, I'm a bit of a worrier by nature; I blame my aunt, haha).

That's what we're here for! And don't worry about being a worrier, we're trying to leave behind a habit with some of the most terrifying side effects known to man. It stands to reason you'd worry about what you were experiencing and asking for help rather than tossing vaping, or really scaring yourself into going back was the smartest thing you could have done.

I'm a worrier too, only I took it to extremes and require medication so don't do THAT. But always take your concerns seriously and ask about it.

EmE247

ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Mar 8, 2014
Los Angeles, CA
Hey there. Im also pretty new to vaping. Off a pack a day habit for about 10 days now.

I also vape about 300 hits a day at 18 nic. I was also concerned about vaping too much and whether or not my nic intake was more nowadays thru vaping than it was smoking. Figure better to hit it as much as needed now to not go back to smoking. From what i heard 300 hits is about right for a pack a day smoker.

Its good to keep an eye on the counter. Especially when u have higher levels of nic in your juice. I keep an eye on it and eventually plan on either hitting it less at 18 or eventually lowering the nic lvl and hitting it the same. Probably the later as i am loving the vape.

Grimwald

Vaping Master
ECF Veteran
Aug 12, 2012
Lawrence KS
If it helps, I think a regular cigarette is like 20 puffs. So 1 1/2 paks = 600 puffs...very roughly.

When I started, I was using 24mg juice, but after 2 months I was getting the anxiety, sleeplessness, jittery feeling. I found that along with cutting down the nic level, I also had to cut my caffeine intake and other stimulants like sugar. Now, after 18 months I back to guzzling my coffee and chocolate bars, but I had to take it easy for a little while.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users who are viewing this thread