A quick tip about CE2's

Status
Not open for further replies.

bpaulette

ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Jul 27, 2010
midwest
Now that Rob is about to start carrying these, I thought it might be helpful to point out some things that longtime CE2 users like me are all too familiar with.

PRE-CLEANING is sometimes required

I've said it before, and still believe that if a CE2 is clean, I think its the purest taste you'll get from any atty. RoyalSmokers (the manufacturer) has perfected these things for the most part. That said, RS has not, as far as I've seen yet, perfected the art of fully washing off the wick material before boxing them up and shipping them out. Its a bit like having to blow the primer out of a standard atty.

I've received a grand total of ONE CE2 in all my time with them, that tasted just fine, without me washing it first. That was the one that Rob sent me with the SSR to try out. I didn't bother boiling that one first, primarily because I was just super excited and forgot. And it tasted fine, for whatever reason. In fact, the same day I got the SSR, I placed an order with another vendor, for a box of clearomizers (as backup atties for the SSR). I thought "Rob's tasted fine, so maybe RS has figured out that they need to wash em", so I tried one, and sure enough, it tasted like S#!T.

This has turned a lot of people off of ceramics, since their beginnings. Fortunately for me, when I first tried them and thought it was nasty, I had ECF, and a quick search told me to boil em first if they taste weird - as soon as I did that, I went from wanting to gag, to vaping perfection. And ALWAYS do several dry burns before filling. And thats really all you need to do. (with clearomizers, pull off the clear plastic tube before you boil em - the tube might melt in there, Idunno)

I'm going to be putting together a video that touches on this, and other cleaning/maintenance techniques, but I thought just in case I don't get to that in time, I should point that out here. Rob will have zero control over how clearomizers arrive to him, and I'd hate to see anyone get turned off, upon their first puff, by this easily-fixed issue!

bpaulette

ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Jul 27, 2010
midwest
Haven't tried that, but sure, I guess that would accomplish the same thing as the dry burn under the coils (but dry burns don't do anything to the ends of the wicks, only the center, so that could only help).

Don't know if boiling is "better", per se, but I'll probably continue to do it, as boiling gets into every little nook and cranny of the whole unit - and the flame of a lighter could theoretically leave some sort of ash or non combustible residue left over. But so could boiling, so why not - I might try that next time, before I boil! :D

dirt2suck

Unregistered Supplier
ECF Veteran
Apr 15, 2009
Ephrata PA USA
Personally I dont have any lighters laying around, lol.

But the boiling does just sound safer and easier, as you can throw your 5 pack in,
and that 5 pack should last you a darn while.

I never tried the boil yet, but I too was totally not getting the CE2.
But after dry burning the coil, running it a bit with liquid, and then cleaning and dry burning a second time,
I then was a believer.

Thanks for the tips bp, and take your time on the video, since RS is taking time on my order!!:lol:
The video might be watched for years to come.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users who are viewing this thread