A reborn vaper looking for advice.

Status
Not open for further replies.

wetclay

ECF Veteran
Oct 4, 2010
UAE
Hi forum,
I've been a smoker for 25 yrs. 2-3 PPD of lights. 7 yrs ago I started to vape and was able to cut back to 10 analogs a day. I used KR808 with cartos and then upgraded to Ego's with cartos and later tank atomizers. Dripping was never my game. A year and a half later, I stopped vaping and went back to cigs. Why? I got tired of charging, filling, leakage, dry burnt hits, modding ...etc. And I was not getting the satisfaction I needed.
A couple of weeks ago, I thought why not give it another try. So I got my boxes of eliquid and batteries out of the closet. I was surprised that all my Egos were still working (the KR808's are all dead). What's more surprising is that the eliquid is still good after 5 or 6 yrs. The flavor is still as good as it was. And the nicotine is still there. The TH, peppery taste and the buzz are still the same. So here I am, vaping again and I already cut back my cigs use to 10-15 per day.
I wanted to check the ecig world of today. And what's better than ECF. I've been at ECF for 6-10 hrs daily for a week now. And omg what a change!! VV, VW, TC, tanks, rebuildables, Subohms, NET, WTA, mods, mods and even more mods. Amazing! Hats off to the ECF family. I don't think all these advances would've been possible without ECF. Ideas are born here.
With all these advances I'm hoping that I'll be able to quit cigs completely. But it's really confusing and I need advice from the veterans here. As to my vaping style, I inhale M2L, use 70/30 to 40/60 pg/VG most of time. I chain vape !! 24 mg is the least that works for me. 36 mg is better. I like a warm (not hot) vape. I need a good balance of vapor and flavor. I'm not into mechs, rebuildables, dripping or modding. I like hassle free setups. fill, plug and vape away.
I want 2 setups. One for work and stealth vaping. Should be smallish (Ego size), does not look ridiculous, consistant and easy to use. box is ok but should be small. It should still have options that will enhance the experience. The second setup is for use at home. maybe a high end VV VW with TC. Damn! that Sx mini looks great. /But i'll wait before throwing away $200.
Sorry for the long post. But what suggestions and tips can you give for these 2 setups?
TIA

alicewonderland

Ultra Member
ECF Veteran
Apr 28, 2012
youre lucky, the new stuff is what got me into vaping again last year. I completely quit after that. The vaping gear today is far advanced from back in the 510/808 carto days. You wont need 24-36mg anymore because I think the new devices do better to give you more nicotine. the eleaf istick 30w is good and portable, id suggest one of those for your outside vape, or if you can deal with the larger istick 50w, u can kill two birds with one stone, the 50w will take care of your home and outdoor vaping. Then id suggest maybe a subtank mini or nano, or nautilus to go ontop. If you go with the subtank mini, it has a optional rebuildable section if u want to get into building ur own coils to save money down the road. The subtank nano and nautilus are just plug n play tanks where u buy replaceable coil heads and no rebuilding. The subtank mini can use replaceable coil heads as well, but the RDA section is nice if u want to fiddle with it later on down the road and dont want to buy a whole new tank/rda.

sd3614

ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Apr 7, 2015
MIDWEST USA
WP_20150516_10_03_31_Pro.jpg
Someone recommended this setup to me a few weeks ago (on this forum) and I love it. When I am around the house I use a Kbox and a Subtank Plus V2. One the go this set up is quite amazing. About $55 and you can use about any micro USB charger on the battery (cell phone charger works fine). Five click on, then stand by mode for hitting it or 5 clicks off.

eGo One 1100 battery (2200 is just 1 inch longer), Subtank Nano

Last edited:

ScubaBebe

Supporting Member
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Mar 9, 2013
Wetumpka, Alabama, United States
You said you like a hot vape so I would recommend the sub tank over the nautilus. Great advice on the Eleaf Istick and ego One too. Like you I went back to stinkies because I got into all the rebuilding and just got tired of it. I recently started vaping again and the upgrade in just a year is amazing. I think you will be very happy with these set ups, they are really plug and play and I have had no leaking at all.

coolerat

Ultra Member
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Mar 20, 2015
Verona,NY
People take to vaping in different ways and its just now getting huge enough where a real sample is available.

And even within our own heart we don't have all the answers. I was able to quit smoking several times so vaping brought no special magic to my life except for the ease of walking away. Its the staying stopped part I had trouble with.

So that being said with myself and afew buddies I been looking for answers. And it seems for whatever reason some people need more. More vapor. More taste more everything.

Tootle puffing works for many if not all. Makes walking away from smoking easy and fun. But really who cares cause any of us could iron will our way through afew weeks.

And up until recently, say I year I really don't know, the only options were a TP or getting into stuff thats while not hard at least more complicated then the average smoker wanted to mess with a back to the smokes they went.

But now we have options. Roughly 3 brazillion of them. And I think somewhere in that huge pile of gear is the answer for everyone. A co-worker of mine loves vaping. But he keeps tootle puffing and failing. I talked him into moving up to some of my tweener gear and he's doing much better so he maybe a tweener. Or he may need to go farther then I have gear for him to try. He may need a Varient with Starre for all I know.

Some things I've learned so far with much more on the way.

1. Quit with whatever. If you want it bad enough it will work.

2.Spend alittle more then you think. If you have 20w but want a little more don't get a 30 cause if that ain't enough you end up with a 50. Huge leaps aren't needed like say up to a 100w, that may come later, but baby steps can cost more in the long run. In other words don't go from a crawl to a run but maybe a walk.

3.if you enjoy vaping but still think about smoking try kicking it up a notch. After a few weeks I don't think this should be fear based anymore. Think positive. I am a vaper therefore I vape or some such nonsense. If your thinking about smoking try only using gear thats nothing like smoking. I am not a smoker and I don't want anything to do with that lifestyle. I feel lucky that at least in my cornor of the world times have changed. Both myself and everyone I know drives a pickup and wears camo everything and the full redneck package to not have a vape rig would be odd. To light up a smoke would be unthinkable. I don't know how it is in cities and offices.

4. If your good with vaping and not worried about smoking anymore but it still feels like there is more then there is. Try different things. Nothing is terribly expensive. Give it a whirl. If it doesn't work out give it way. I have a collector stuff and that stays but everything else gets gifted as some as the new ride settles in. Friends and family giveaways are great but the best still is strangers. Somebody walks up to you and askes if that stuff works say yes, you keep it.

Baditude

ECF Guru
ECF Veteran
Apr 8, 2012
Ridgeway, Ohio
Since you vape m2l, and don't want to rebuild, I will suggest the Aspire Nautilus Mini for a tank.

For a battery:

MVp 20W or 3.0
Ego One
Istick 30W
I like these recommendations. :thumb:

1. Quit with whatever. If you want it bad enough it will work.

2.Spend a little more then you think. If you have 20w but want a little more don't get a 30 cause if that ain't enough you end up with a 50. Huge leaps aren't needed like say up to a 100w, that may come later, but baby steps can cost more in the long run. In other words don't go from a crawl to a run but maybe a walk.

3.if you enjoy vaping but still think about smoking try kicking it up a notch. After a few weeks I don't think this should be fear based anymore. Think positive. I am a vaper therefore I vape or some such nonsense. If your thinking about smoking try only using gear thats nothing like smoking. I am not a smoker and I don't want anything to do with that lifestyle. I feel lucky that at least in my cornor of the world times have changed. Both myself and everyone I know drives a pickup and wears camo everything and the full redneck package to not have a vape rig would be odd. To light up a smoke would be unthinkable. I don't know how it is in cities and offices.

4. If your good with vaping and not worried about smoking anymore but it still feels like there is more then there is. Try different things. Nothing is terribly expensive. Give it a whirl. If it doesn't work out give it way. I have a collector stuff and that stays but everything else gets gifted as some as the new ride settles in. Friends and family giveaways are great but the best still is strangers. Somebody walks up to you and askes if that stuff works say yes, you keep it.
You gotta really WANT TO QUIT for this to work. :thumb: Be strong! Be determined! You CAN do this.

I gave myself a quit date, and a week to make the transition from smoking to just vaping. I knew I'd still get cravings, so I allowed myself a few smokes each day during that week. If chain vaping didn't get rid of the craving, I allowed myself to smoke 1/2 a cigarette, and then put it out for later. If chain vaping didn't stop the next craving, I smoked the second half. Those second half cigs started tasting pretty nasty, but that was a good thing.

As the week progressed, I started to realize that I was beginning to prefer the vaping to the smoking. Once the old taste buds started to heal from not smoking as much, I realized that the cigs tasted like the ashes in the ash tray. Yukkk!! By the end of the week, I had finished a full pack of cigarettes and didn't feel I needed to buy another pack. Vaping had been successful in satisfying my nicotine addiction.

Smoking is more than an addiction to nicotine. There is the "hand to mouth" and "inhaling/exhaling" behavior which is just as much a part of the addiction to smoking. Vaping simulates all three behaviors, and that's the reason vaping was successful for me to stop using tobacco.

I admit that I had extra incentive to quit when I did. The very week I tried my first ecig, my mother found out that she had liver cancer. It turned out to be terminal, and she died peacefully just two weeks later. This was a life changing moment for me. I finally understood my own mortality for the first time, and knew if ecigs didn't help me quit smoking then I'd be soon following my mother to the grave.

Last edited:

Wruff

ECF Veteran
Sep 21, 2014
Vapeville, USA
Welcome back. As mentioned a couple times already the Kanger Subtank Mini may suit you nicely. You're looking for a warm vape and the 0.5 ohm replaceable stock coil will provide thick warm vapor abundantly without any hassle, and also comes with a rebuildable deck option (the Nano is nice too, but not rebuildable).
It's all subjective, but I've been thrilled with my Subtank Mini.
There's some nice compact vv mods available today too... IPV Mini 2 (70 watt), and the eleaf Istick 30 (very small) to name just a couple.
Happy vaping.

wetclay

ECF Veteran
Oct 4, 2010
UAE
Thank you guys for the excellent advice and encouragement. I think I'll go with the Istick 30 (maybe 50) with subtank mini and/or nautilus mini.
I want also an ego style battery. But I can't understand why would you recommend the ego one which is unregulated rather than a VW evod or a vision spinner for example?

Reactions: Wruff

Wruff

ECF Veteran
Sep 21, 2014
Vapeville, USA
I want also an ego style battery. But I can't understand why would you recommend the ego one which is unregulated rather than a VW evod or a vision spinner for example?
Vision Spinner II's are the best ego style battery, imo. I'd get another one of those before any of the non-VW.

Reactions: wetclay

DingerCPA

Vaping Mistress
Supporting Member
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Apr 9, 2014
Corn 'n' Cows
Welcome back wetclay!

I actually started about the same time you did with a Volcano Magma kit. Bought up all kinds of "flavor cartridges", but I was so disappointed in the battery life (I used to smoke two cigarettes on my commute.) The Magma started flashing at me by the time I got to my office.

3-1/2 years later, I discovered ECF and found Spinners and VV3s and MVP2s and EVOD tanks, etc. THAT was sufficient to get me off cigs for good. Now, I "play". Small tanks - I still have a couple of Mini PT2s, and I like them on my eGo or VV3. The Nauti Mini works fine on a Spinner, but I feel that it's too "top heavy" (but it's a GREAT tank on all my other mods.)

I picked up an iStick 30 after I'd gotten the iStick 50. I love the size of the 30 (much smaller than any of my other mods) My Protank2s, Mini Nauti, and Kanger Subtank Nanos all fit great on the 30 :)

There's an iStick 10 (about 1/2-2/3 the height of the iStick 30) or the iStick 20 Mini, if you're looking for super-small :)

Gummy Bare

Ultra Member
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Nov 2, 2012
San Diego, California
View attachment 457416 Someone recommended this setup to me a few weeks ago (on this forum) and I love it. When I am around the house I use a Kbox and a Subtank Plus V2. One the go this set up is quite amazing. About $55 and you can use about any micro USB charger on the battery (cell phone charger works fine). Five click on, then stand by mode for hitting it or 5 clicks off.

eGo One 1100 battery (2200 is just 1 inch longer), Subtank Nano

That's look like a pretty cool stealth vape setup. I don't know much about the ego ones.... for some reason I though they came with a different tank\atty that was attached to it. Can you buy just the bettery, or do you have to get the battery and tank all as one? I'd rather use the sub tank nano like your doing.

mcclintock

Ultra Member
ECF Veteran
  • Oct 28, 2014

The Ego One is capable of much higher power (0.5 ohm) . Personally, I don't think it deserves the eGo name because it abandons the best thing about the eGo design, the connector, but as most of the other tanks you might use it with are 510 thread, it makes some sense.

You gotta really WANT TO QUIT for this to work. :thumb: Be strong! Be determined! You CAN do this.

I gave myself a quit date, and a week to make the transition from smoking to just vaping. I knew I'd still get cravings, so I allowed myself a few smokes each day during that week. If chain vaping didn't get rid of the craving, I allowed myself to smoke 1/2 a cigarette, and then put it out for later. If chain vaping didn't stop the next craving, I smoked the second half. Those second half cigs started tasting pretty nasty, but that was a good thing.

I had little motivation and took a long time to completely transition... maybe longer than it should (8 months). I had some issues at first where I couldn't handle vaping all the time. I just had the logic that if stayed cut down on cigs it would eventually get easier. I took a long time but I NEVER backslid. Progress might have been undetectable at times, but that was OK. Not trying to encourage anyone to drag it out (no pun intended) but must say that even if you can't progress like some here report, don't give up.

Another thing that might help is WTAs (whole tobacco alkaloids). This is a variant of nicotine that captures some of the stuff missing when going from whole tobacco to pure nicotine. I mostly used that long transition instead.

Frenchfry1942

Vaping Master
    ECF Veteran
    Verified Member
    Jan 12, 2014
    As to the cravings, I carried my vaporizer around with me and the nic content was a step up. I just took 1-2 draws. Stress died away, I settled down and worked my way down in nic content.

The first whatever was just making sure I got my nic and I got confidence. Eventually my taste and smell returned so i could get into flavors. But, at first, I worked on my stability.

Status
    Not open for further replies.

Users who are viewing this thread