• This forum has been archived

If you'd like to post a thread, post it here instead!

View Forum

A story for cat people

Status
Not open for further replies.

WiηgC¤mmαηdεя

ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Mar 3, 2009
Dieppe, NB
Here is something for the pet lovers - My wife won a writing contest for Global Pet Foods.
The story is posted here:
Global Pet Foods - You Showed Us Your Heart

The Grand prize was dinner for two and pet food for one year.
Please help me in saying well done for her well written story.

Amanda Jones of Moncton, NB

He came to our door looking needy. I opened my door one morning in July to a tiny orange kitten. He was scrawny and he was starving. He had the most horrible cry, so sad, so in need of love. I was instantly smitten. But, because I have a habit of taking in strays, I knew convincing my husband we needed a 3rd cat was going to be a job. So with an aching heart, I told him to come and see the "cute little kitty". As I expected, the first words out of Chris's mouth were "Amanda, we don't need another cat." But by now, 5 minutes after seeing the little mongrel, he had been tentatively named Mr. Stripey, due to the dark orange rings that worked themselves through his sunset colored fur. He looked at Chris with those same big kitten eyes, and I knew from the look at Chris's face that he was falling in love with the little sweetie. I decided to let Chris "decide" we needed another cat. For 9 days, I watched Mr. Stripey come every time he heard the door open. He would wrap himself around our legs, purring louder then I have ever heard. My 3 kids loved him, and my friends and family joked about our frequent visitor. Chris was setting out cat food and water for Mr. Stripey. Chris set out the cat carrier to protect Mr. Stripey from the light rain showers, complete with towels so he'd be comfortable. Then one day, some neighborhood kids were chasing Mr. Stripey with rocks. He came running to Chris for protection. Then, to my utter and complete joy, "Mr. Stripey" was deemed a bad name. His name was Rusty. Rusty ended up getting the full treatment- fleas, mites and worms. Then he was welcomed into our home with loving arms. Then tragedy happened. Our dear tabby cat, Tigger, suddenly became very sick. He died within 3 days. Our hearts broke as we explained to our children (5 yrs, 2 yrs and 1 yr) that Tiggy had gone to kitty heaven. Almost as if he knew, Rusty came running to our feet, jumped onto my daughter's lap and started purring, rubbing his head against her and giving kisses. My precious 5 year old said "Mommy, I bet Tigger knew he was sick so he got Rusty to come live us. He needed some time to train him first though." as we had convinced our children that the cats kept monsters away, so they could go in the basement and not worry. Rusty is now a healthy cat with a heart so big it can only be compared to his paws, which have 7 fingers on his hands and 6 toes on his feet. It's funny, what started as a cat who needed a loving family wound up joining a family who needed a loving cat.

Multisync98

ECF Veteran
Apr 17, 2009
Stephenville, TX
I am a HUGE cat fan! I have to admit, I teared up a bit just reading that. Those commercials on TV about mistreated animals, they get me everytime.. For a while I thought I was the biggest wuss ever. But now I know, it's that I have a kind heart and can't stand to see any animal, ESPECIALLY cats/kittens, being abused/neglected.

So, with that said, tell your wife, she's GOOD in my book! You two did a wonderful thing taking in that kitten! And her essay was VERY good reading!

Thank you for that!

-Jim

Fox3

ECF Veteran
Mar 24, 2009
Seattle, WA
Very well done! Blotting eyes now.

Sorry to hear about Tigger, we went through that a while back and it is hard, even with other kitties in the household. Timing was perfect for Rusty and Rusty knew just what to do. Dumb animals my .....

"what started as a cat who needed a loving family wound up joining a family who needed a loving cat." I liked that :) :) :). Reminds me of another cat :).

In case anyone is interested, I wrote this up when Daint / Nimitz passed, she was a stellar friend and companion, it helped me get through it although it is still a hard read for me:

TributeTo Dainty Feet / Nimitz

Yeah, I still miss her. She accomplished one impossible thing in her life, she converted me from a cat hater and won my heart. The other three cats were my roomies but they seemed to sense the change Daint brought about :).

1 Cute Canadian

ECF Veteran
Mar 8, 2009
Toronto, Canada
Tears... congrats to your wife. My kitty is trying to lie across my laptop right now as I type. My kitty was a very sick and teeny little stray and she is now the best thing to happen to my kids. She got pregnant though before I could fix her and she had 3 babies but one died and it was the hardest thing I ever had to explain to my kids. My family took the 2 babies and they are now 2X the size of our sweet little "runt" Bella.

WiηgC¤mmαηdεя

ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Mar 3, 2009
Dieppe, NB
Congratulations Wing and to your wife also. As an animal person, I know how quickly and how completely they can become a real part of the family.

Again..nice job :)

Thanks Nuck, wife and I appreciate the kind words from you and the other members that have replied. I changed my avatar to a pic of Tigger for now so everyone can admire him at his prime of health

Smocha

Unregistered Supplier
ECF Veteran
Mar 5, 2009
China
www.greenhouseone.com
He's beautiful! A good friend of mine had a tabby also, they are great cats. His caught mice some how though.. didn't eat them, just played with them until their legs were like broken..

WiηgC¤mmαηdεя;272450 said:
Thanks Nuck, wife and I appreciate the kind words from you and the other members that have replied. I changed my avatar to a pic of Tigger for now so everyone can admire him at his prime of health

waywardsister

ECF Veteran
Mar 26, 2009
Toronto, ON
Tigger's a handsome guy!

Tell your wife: well done. Funny, I just had a similar experience. One of my pusses, Cow, got very sick over xmas and in January I had to put him down. I have three, but he was my best buddy. My sister works at the vet office, and soon after Cow died someone brought in three orange kittens that were found in a shed. My sister convinced me to take one just to foster - of course I didn't want to, but I agreed. He never left my lap, just cuddled with me. The day he licked my eyeball - something Cow used to do all the time - was the day I decided he was staying. Sometimes you don't know you need them until they show up.

Lesliea

Apr 14, 2009
Ottawa, Canada
What a truly wonderful story. So sorry to hear about Tigger. My condolences to you and your family.

Having pets is such a joy and privilege.

One day when my husband and I were having a big argument (yes, it happens) our cat Dante (who likes to play fetch) was bringing his toy first to me, and then to my husband to throw for him. He never did that (the back and forth thing) before. We finally got the message to shut up and play with the cat.

Leslie

mamacat

Ultra Member
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Apr 27, 2009
WS, NC, USA
WiηgC¤mmαηdεя;276582 said:
So true, cats adopt us, not the other way around.

And when they do adopt you, there is no better feeling.

I am so sorry to hear about Tigger :cry:, but I am really glad that Rusty was able to ease the pain a bit. Sure does make things a little easier on everyone, especially the kids. :)

Best of luck to you and your family.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users who are viewing this thread