Not open for further replies.

super_X_drifter

ECF Guru
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Oct 4, 2012
Somewhere out there
www.youtube.com
On paper these two rba's look very similar. The differences are, one you can buy for $94 shipped and the other, if you can find it, will likely cost you north of $200.

Behold the Aero BF (dragonfly ecigs) and the Chalice second run (classifieds).

anuqa4u7.jpg

The Aero BF is a strange animal. It is sweet in concept because the juice hole and posts relationship is similar to the chalice. But the juice hole on the Aero is tiny.

The air source for the Aero is weird - it's thru the 510. Easy enough to fix - just drill the SS top cap (thanks turbo and pdibby for describing how to drill virgin SS) and put an oring in the well and your good right? Not exactly.

Notice the oring between the cap and base on the Aero. That's because I had to significantly raise my micro coil from where I typically run it in my chalice. Why? Because that little tiny feed hole doesn't drain that well. It does if you leave the oring out of the 510 but who the heck wants a catchcup full of juice? It was like a flashback to the carto days.

So in with the oring, up with the coil and on with the oring in the cap to give a little more height to the airhole. Oh, and the Aero is tall because the base is about double the height of the chalice.

Here's the builds:

ehyhyte5.jpg

Have to also use a little more cotton to sop up the juice because of the coil height. But atleast the coil isn't partially submerged in juice now.

The other thing that sucks about the Aero is that every drip tip I tried basically falls out of it. Yep. It's loose. Also, the cap is straight thru, not ported like the chalice.

So most Orings were too small, one was too big and one holds the tip with just barely enough friction to keep it from sticking to your lips and extracting itself from the cap. This is probably the worst issue with the Aero. Who the hell builds an atty that barely holds a drip tip?

The vape is ok but, but hard to enjoy with a wiggly drip tip. The feed is ok, but drain not so great.

The Aero seems like a solid RBA - well crafted and SS, but I would have a hard time recommending this atty, an RM2 vapes better, builds easier and drains / feeds like a dream. Ditto for chalice, except I hate building it cause those finger screws decimate my fingertips :) You can buy 2 RM2s for one Aero too.

My wife is on this "I heard brass is not good for you" trend right now. I'm not gonna argue with her cause I'm glad she's gaining an interest in my hobby / addiction. Means I can buy more RBAs. I wish there was a SS version of RM2 cause I love the RM2.

So I must find SS bottomfed RBAs.

Addendum #1: the more I tweak it the better it's getting. Definitely not a plug and play RBA like RM2 or chalice - more of trial and error getting the build tweaked. Also, rather than superglue my drip tip I wrapped a sliver of Teflon tape around the oring and it's tighter :)

Still not my favorite RBA but I'm getting it where it's vapable. Still don't see how I could ever take it out / pocket it cause its so tall (the base is actually like 2.5 times as tall as the chalice) and drip tip is not as secure as I like :).

Addendum # 2:
I got this Aero BF nailed now :)

Turns out that even with the slightly higher coil, less cotton is more. I trimmed it so a very short amount of wick protrudes on each side like my chalice and damn. It actually vapes perfect now.

The drainage was solved by playing with the oring in my bottle. It drains better now.

Took the oring off my drip tip and installed one wrap of Teflon tape in the groove. Reinstalled the oring, pushed in the drip tip and it's tight.

The last 3 days of tweaking resulted in a vape that ranged from the lamest to the best.

Trick is, build it just like chalice with a slightly higher ( by .5mm) coil. Squonk longer and vape like a Rockstar.

This thing is kickin AYuss now :)

eba4y5av.jpg

But it's still tall. It's my in house vape :)

Last edited:

turbocad6

Unregistered Supplier
ECF Veteran
Jan 17, 2011
brooklyn ny
so the reason for the oring is because you realized you should have drilled higher after you drilled it? if someone else were to drill taking what you are saying into account then they wouldn't need that oring, correct?

I've been eyeing the aero, probably pick one up eventually. I'm wondering if the feed can be corrected? maybe drill the feed hole out slightly? far as the driptip that sucks, sounds like a custom driptip might be a good solution there... I'm wondering why the aero has such a tall base... have you tried it using the stock bottom air configuration at all before drilling the cap? cool stuff man, thanks for sharing :)

super_X_drifter

ECF Guru
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Oct 4, 2012
Somewhere out there
www.youtube.com
so the reason for the oring is because you realized you should have drilled higher after you drilled it? if someone else were to drill taking what you are saying into account then they wouldn't need that oring, correct?

I measured the height of the airhole on my chalice and raised this one even 1 mm. I just removed that oring and lowered the coil about .5 mm and it's ok.

I've been eyeing the aero, probably pick one up eventually. I'm wondering if the feed can be corrected? maybe drill the feed hole out slightly?

Yes, someone with patience and skillz could maybe, but I don't know what the condition under the deck is. The hole is right in the deck, not tube / insulator like chalice.

far as the driptip that sucks, sounds like a custom driptip might be a good solution there...

I cut a sliver of Teflon tape and cured that too :)

I'm wondering why the aero has such a tall base... have you tried it using the stock bottom air configuration at all before drilling the cap?

No, but I tried it with the drilled cap and get a cup - o - juice. I don't like it. Just tried it again and put the oring back in.

cool stuff man, thanks for sharing :)

Your welcome brother. Thanks to you, I succeeded in drilling the nice thick topcap. I had previously only enlarged the holes but this one didn't have no holes. I put painters tape on it, secured it in a vise, smacked it with a punch and got to drillin slow with silicon / Teflon lube every minute or so :)

I typed in some stuff above. It's not a terrible atty, my expectations were just much higher for it :). It is also an adjusting / tweaking period. The RM2 and chalice are plug and play, this one, not at all :)

Last night I was convinced that it was gonna be sold. Now, not so much. :)

Thanks turbo bro.

super_X_drifter

ECF Guru
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Oct 4, 2012
Somewhere out there
www.youtube.com
I had hornets before chalices and micro coils. After vaping off chalice, I thought the top cap of the hornet heated up and the chalice didn't. This resulted in inferior vape quality to me. I also didn't like the way the hornet didn't drain and the friction for top cap. Sold both hornets.

Now I would be curious to try one with a micro coil :)

Jazzi Mike

Ultra Member
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Jun 3, 2013
Michigan
Thanks for the write up. I have looked at the Aero BF atty a few times, but I was always concerned about the price. Spending $100 on an atty that is rumored to be good is one thing, but spending that on an atty that I know nothing about... Anyways, I think I will still pass on it, but please post any updates if you find a good way to get it working.

I emailed Mark Bugs to see when the new run of the Chalice would be going. They said it would be in about 2 months. I am curious to see how it compares to the RM2. If worse comes to worse, I can always sell the Chalice if I don't like it.

super_X_drifter

ECF Guru
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Oct 4, 2012
Somewhere out there
www.youtube.com
Mike, it's vaping pretty decent at the moment. I'm vaping it side by side against a chalice and it's nearly the same. I just ordered a cyclone to compare it too vape wise.

I know I prefer the screw on top cap and screws (not Allen screws) in the Aero but the Aero is taller than I like. Pocketability is out between the height and weak drip tip grip.

super_X_drifter

ECF Guru
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Oct 4, 2012
Somewhere out there
www.youtube.com
^ not gonna happen. The vape and build ease of RM2 is tip top. Also ceramic base is awesome.

The only not so hot thing with the RM2 is the low quality plated materials and not the most well crafted RBA on the planet.

I'd pay 150 (or more) for a SS RM2 that was put together like a chalice :)

turbocad6

Unregistered Supplier
ECF Veteran
Jan 17, 2011
brooklyn ny
I see a lot of potential in the aero, def want to pick one up eventually. one question superX, the aero is designed to take air in from the bottom hole, that's why the coil orients itself right in the center of the posts, but since you now basically converted it to a side air flow are you still setting up the coil in the center between the posts? have you tried setting up the coil off to one side, like in an rm2 so the airflow hits the coil as it enters the chamber? I don't think having the coil in the center between the posts is so good when you are now taking air in from the side but can't tell from your pics exactly how you are doing it...

then again I see your chalice also is set up with the coil in the center... whats up with that?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users who are viewing this thread