A thread for any tank taking nautilus / triton mini coils - kabuki silo nautilus etc

Status
Not open for further replies.

h00ligan

Ultra Member
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Jan 2, 2015
London, UK
I'd like to start a thread for anyone using a tank that is capable of taking nautilus coils which also implies the pending triton mini coils. Since these coils have become the cornerstone of several tanks not made by aspire perhaps we can benefit from sharing information between brands.

I'm using a kabuki at present with a vapor shark temp control coil on an istick mini right now. I also use 1.6 bvc and tried to get a Cisco spec but it shorted upon arrival. I may have it replaced but I'm not sold on build quality so maybe a refund.

The vapor shark coils have an extremely long break in time and haven't been updated like the current aspire coils.

I usually vape around 13-15 watts depending on juice which is pushing the bvc coils. I'm getting maybe 20-30 ml before I feel they need to be changed.

What power level , tank , coil are you using and what kind of lifespan so you get ?

What are your impressions of the tank You use.

What flavors work well With these coils

What style vapor are you (I suspect most will be mouth to lung.)

These are all topics for his thread. Get as technical as you want. Talk about ups and downs of the various coils. Devices using them. Etc.

The thread is totally open if you own a device that can take a nautilus / triton mini coil. Or are considering it. Post away. Questions experiments bingo. Whatever you want. There is no totalitarian regime dictating how to enjoy vaping or what you must discuss. No questions are stupid and corrections are welcome when or if technical errors are made.

This thread is positioned to remove the unwritten rules and regulations present in so many other threads that can seem uninviting for Many while serving the large group of those who wish to discuss devices accepting nautilus or triton mini coils.

I'll be updating when I try the Clapton. Temp control. And 1.2 ohm triton mini coils at the end of the month. And offering a review of the kabuki in here shortly.

Last edited:

David Wolf

Moved On
ECF Veteran
Dec 11, 2014
Charlotte, NC
For my three nautilus mini's I've settled on the aspire 1.6 ohm vertical cotton coils as my preferred coil. Interested in hearing reviews of the triton mini when folks get them and would love to read a comparison to the kabuki for flavor, ease of use, reliability and if they leak (my mini's never leaked). And do they gurgle in hot weather like most bottom coil tanks including my mini's.

h00ligan

Ultra Member
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Jan 2, 2015
London, UK
For my three nautilus mini's I've settled on the aspire 1.6 ohm vertical cotton coils as my preferred coil. Interested in hearing reviews of the triton mini when folks get them and would love to read a comparison to the kabuki for flavor, ease of use, reliability and if they leak (my mini's never leaked). And do they gurgle in hot weather like most bottom coil tanks including my mini's.
Hi David.

Kind of long skip to summary if you don't want to read a bunch of semi formatted thoughts

Kabuki thoughts
------
If I had to quantify I'd say the kabuki gives 25% more flavor or so. The airflow is considerably better and the build / design is extremely simple which aside from the bottom pin would seem to mean reliability. People either love or hate the 'old school' Allen wrench air adjustment. If you don't change airflow depending on juice then it's probably better as it stays locked in. If you vary the air based on the juice (I for example apply More power to some juices which means for me more air flow) then it can be a bit annoying. The bottom 510 pin is an al,en screw also. I find it to be a bit trouble some. I have an offer from house of hybrids to ether replace or change for a p3 connector I just haven't taken them up on it yet. The main thing with the bottom is if it's screwed in too tightly it pushes out the insulator. Too loose and it unscrews. Finding the goldilocks setting is a bit of a pain and has to be done after each coil change.

Right now I'd say wait for the triton mini and see what that tank is like. It will be half the price, if not a rid, and is aspires replacement for the nautilus.

Aspire Bvc coils
-----

The aspire Bvc coils always taint the flavor for me. There's never a time where the flavor of the coil isn't noticeable compared to a straight rta I use. This isn't the kabuki' salut. It's the nature of the nautilus coils. . That said the kabuki does give great flavor within the confines of the coil. I suspect when the triton mini coils arrive the whole experience is going to improve drastically. And I personally think that tank will be such an improvement (from seeing. It online) that it may render the kabuki less interesting. We will know in a month.

Meandering
---
I don't get gurgling with my kabuki. If you fill to the tip top which is desirable as even the tip top fill leaves an air pocket that's a quarter of the tank, you may get so,e slight flooding. The upside down blow through fixes it fast and no flooding or gurgling thereafter.

I don't know if it's the coils kr the way the kabuki covers over the wick holes but thick juices don't wick great, diluting slightly makes it better, too much and it floods and tastes bad.

All in all the kabuki is a nice tank with some annoyances. One other annoyance is tank size. It's small in terms of volume. This was done by design to exctract the most flavor according to zen. But for some it may be a deal breaker. A 2-2.5 ml tank I think. I'll double check with a syringe fill next time I do it and post back. Again if you go too full it will flood when you screw it in or overflow down the middle. On the upside it's a small profile tank. So parking it with a small mod coma make a properly small setup.

Those are some of my thoughts. I really think / hope the triton mini coils are going to unlock all these devices with better flavor and be done with the horrible weird aftertaste the nautilus coils all give.

Ego mega tank w/clr (not stock coils) comparison
-----
Comparatively the ego mega tank (horrible stock coils that are made for lung hitting) holds a lot more and is a bit not much bigger. If you buy clr heads for it (they're rebuild able) you can either dispose of them or rebuild and they are pure cotton kanthal coils. Super simple to build ten at a time every 6 weeks or so. That setup is $15 for the tank and $12 for a pack of five coils. The flavor is different but as good in that setup. juices will taste different in the two tanks but the clr coils are superior to the aspire coils. I can't say one is better than the other. Again to reiterate. The regular ego one coils are awful. The clr coils are great. And it's the only tank that I've used which properly works for mouth to lung at was marketed as a sub ohm tank. Most have a chimney too big and other problems but the ego one tank hits the right insides. Depending on the vapor I maybe would recommend it over the kabuki. The rebuild process for clr coils takes approximately two minutes a coil. So the cost of the whole setup is substantially less with excellent flavor in a similar size and lighter. I expect the triton mini coils will balance the coil argument and then the kabuki will really shine.

SUMMARY
-------
After two weeks almost exclusively with the kabuki and nautilus mini coils moving back to a Rta really shows that the aspire coils are not great for flavor. The kabuki is really well machined with some love me or hate me design choices. It's an improve,net IMO over the nautilus and nautilus mini tanks significantly. Sorry for getting to the summary the meandering long ways

Last edited:

Katdarling

I'm still here on ECF... sort of. ;)
Supporting Member
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Jan 25, 2011
Utopia
If I had to quantify I'd say the kabuki gives 25% more flavor or so. The airflow is considerably better and the build is extreme,l simple. People either love or hate the 'old school' Allen wrench air adjustment. If you don't change airflow depending on juice then it's probably better as it stays locked in.

That's certainly not MY experience. The Kabuki stands heads and shoulders flavorwise above most other tanks for me. The airflow is simplistic and accomplishes exactly what it's supposed to do. I rarely (if ever) change mine.

The bottom 510 pin is an al,en screw also. I find it to be a bit trouble some. I have an offer from house of hybrids tk ether replace or change for a p3 connector I just haven't taken them up on it yet. The main thing with the bottom is if it's screwed in too tightly it pushes out the insulator. Too loose and it unscrews. Finding the goldilocks setting is a bit of a pain and has to be done after each coil change.

I never touch the bottom pin. I'm glad it's there to adjust if need be, but the Kabuki does not really need to be adjusted on some sort of regular basis. It works, it works beautifully, and is consistent.

There is no finding of the goldilocks setting from what I have seen, and with every coil change, it's change the coil...... and vape. Simple. KISS.

Katdarling

Supporting Member
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Jan 25, 2011
Utopia
Right now I'd say wait for the triton mini and see what that tank is like. It will be half the price, if not a rid, and is aspires replacement for the nautilus.

Where did you get this information, out of curiosity? Half the price? A replacement for the Naughties?

I'm wary of that "information". Please link us?

Katdarling

Supporting Member
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Jan 25, 2011
Utopia
I suspect when the triton mini coils arrive the whole experience is going to improve drastically. And I personally think that tank will be such an improvement (from seeing. It online) that it may render the kabuki less interesting. We will know in a month.

We shall all see, and I do hope and expect you'll keep us posted on your experiences.

We always think "the next one" will be new and improved. Time will tell. :)

if you go too full it will flood when you screw it in or overflow down the middle.

I fill my Kabuki to the brim, each and every time. It has never once flooded. I'm not sure what you are doing, but that has never happened to me.

I really think / hope the triton mini coils are going to unlock all these devices with better flavor and be done with the horrible weird aftertaste the nautilus coils all give.

With your past history of not liking most gear you've mentioned, it certainly will be interesting to see if the Triton meets your expectations.

drysprocket

Ultra Member
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Jul 11, 2014
Los Angeles
I had an extended love affair with BVC coils, and used them in the Nautilus, Naut Mini, and Anyvape Peakomizer 2 for well over a year. I had multiple of each tanks. But when Aspire changed the coils to all cotton, I started getting some very mixed results.

I think the flavor was better on the new coils, but I had massive spitting, flooding and gurgling problems to the point where I had to stop using all BVC tanks. I think it may have a lot to do with most of my juices being 50/50. I hear good things about that kabuki, but I just can't pull the trigger since I don't trust the coils anymore.

The larger Triton 1.8 coils give great flavor, but it's the same story- spit, flood, gurgle and repeat with 50/50 juice- and Aspire support straight out told me to use higher VG juice with their coils, which is insane to me for a mouth to lung coil.

I'm anxious to hear if these problems get solved with the new coils....but I leave it to you fine people to let me know since I'm not getting back in this scene until I'm sure :) Good thread, thanks h00ligan.

David Wolf

Moved On
ECF Veteran
Dec 11, 2014
Charlotte, NC
Hi David.

Kind of long skip to summary if you don't want to read a bunch of semi formatted thoughts

Kabuki thoughts
------
If I had to quantify I'd say the kabuki gives 25% more flavor or so. The airflow is considerably better and the build / design is extremely simple which aside from the bottom pin would seem to mean reliability. People either love or hate the 'old school' Allen wrench air adjustment. If you don't change airflow depending on juice then it's probably better as it stays locked in. If you vary the air based on the juice (I for example apply More power to some juices which means for me more air flow) then it can be a bit annoying. The bottom 510 pin is an al,en screw also. I find it to be a bit trouble some. I have an offer from house of hybrids to ether replace or change for a p3 connector I just haven't taken them up on it yet. The main thing with the bottom is if it's screwed in too tightly it pushes out the insulator. Too loose and it unscrews. Finding the goldilocks setting is a bit of a pain and has to be done after each coil change.

Aspire Bvc coils
-----

The aspire Bvc coils always taint the flavor for me. There's never a time where the flavor of the coil isn't noticeable compared to a straight rta I use. This isn't the kabuki' salut. It's the nature of the nautilus coils. . That said the kabuki does give great flavor within the confines of the coil. I suspect when the triton mini coils arrive the whole experience is going to improve drastically. And I personally think that tank will be such an improvement (from seeing. It online) that it may render the kabuki less interesting. We will know in a month.

Meandering
---
I don't get gurgling with my kabuki. If you fill to the tip top which is desirable as even the tip top fill leaves an air pocket that's a quarter of the tank, you may get so,e slight flooding. The upside down blow through fixes it fast and no flooding or gurgling thereafter.

I don't know if it's the coils kr the way the kabuki covers over the wick holes but thick juices don't wick great, diluting slightly makes it better, too much and it floods and tastes bad.

All in all the kabuki is a nice tank with some annoyances. One other annoyance is tank size. It's small in terms of volume. This was done by design to exctract the most flavor according to zen. But for some it may be a deal breaker. A 2-2.5 ml tank I think. I'll double check with a syringe fill next time I do it and post back. Again if you go too full it will flood when you screw it in or overflow down the middle. On the upside it's a small profile tank. So parking it with a small mod coma make a properly small setup.

Those are some of my thoughts. I really think / hope the triton mini coils are going to unlock all these devices with better flavor and be done with the horrible weird aftertaste the nautilus coils all give.

Ego mega tank w/clr (not stock coils) comparison
-----
Comparatively the ego mega tank (horrible stock coils that are made for lung hitting) holds a lot more and is a bit not much bigger. If you buy clr heads for it (they're rebuild able) you can either dispose of them or rebuild and they are pure cotton kanthal coils. Super simple to build ten at a time every 6 weeks or so. That setup is $15 for the tank and $12 for a pack of five coils. The flavor is different but as good in that setup. juices will taste different in the two tanks but the clr coils are superior to the aspire coils. I can't say one is better than the other. Again to reiterate. The regular ego one coils are awful. The clr coils are great. And it's the only tank that I've used which properly works for mouth to lung at was marketed as a sub ohm tank. Most have a chimney too big and other problems but the ego one tank hits the right insides. Depending on the vapor I maybe would recommend it over the kabuki. The rebuild process for clr coils takes approximately two minutes a coil. So the cost of the whole setup is substantially less with excellent flavor in a similar size and lighter. I expect the triton mini coils will balance the coil argument and then the kabuki will really shine.

SUMMARY
-------
After two weeks almost exclusively with the kabuki and nautilus mini coils moving back to a Rta really shows that the aspire coils are not great for flavor. The kabuki is really well machined with some love me or hate me design choices. It's an improve,net IMO over the nautilus and nautilus mini tanks significantly. Sorry for getting to the summary the meandering long ways
I really appreciate the candid feedback, I've read of others having issues with the coil fitup in the kabuki 510 so I hope that gets resolved, the tank size is right for me, I've heard others say the flavor is better than the nautilus as you say. I vape 3 ml a day using two or three tanks. My juice is 70pg/30vg so I need a tank that works good with that. I've considered the ego one clr one thing I wondered is if you use Kanthal and not NR-R-NR wire, doesn't the Kanthal wire tend to heat up the silicone insulator and give off fumes or melt it? I have a KFL+ V2 clone I like for rebuilding. Great flavor with it!

Last edited:
Reactions: Katdarling

David Wolf

Moved On
ECF Veteran
Dec 11, 2014
Charlotte, NC
I had an extended love affair with BVC coils, and used them in the Nautilus, Naut Mini, and Anyvape Peakomizer 2 for well over a year. I had multiple of each tanks. But when Aspire changed the coils to all cotton, I started getting some very mixed results.

I think the flavor was better on the new coils, but I had massive spitting, flooding and gurgling problems to the point where I had to stop using all BVC tanks. I think it may have a lot to do with most of my juices being 50/50. I hear good things about that kabuki, but I just can't pull the trigger since I don't trust the coils anymore.

The larger Triton 1.8 coils give great flavor, but it's the same story- spit, flood, gurgle and repeat with 50/50 juice- and Aspire support straight out told me to use higher VG juice with their coils, which is insane to me for a mouth to lung coil.

I'm anxious to hear if these problems get solved with the new coils....but I leave it to you fine people to let me know since I'm not getting back in this scene until I'm sure :) Good thread, thanks h00ligan.
Yes from what I've read pretty sure the triton isn't for me and my 70pg/30vg for sure. I too wait for reports on the Triton mini before jumping in.

David Wolf

Moved On
ECF Veteran
Dec 11, 2014
Charlotte, NC
We shall all see, and I do hope and expect you'll keep us posted on your experiences.

We always think "the next one" will be new and improved. Time will tell. :)

I fill my Kabuki to the brim, each and every time. It has never once flooded. I'm not sure what you are doing, but that has never happened to me.

With your past history of not liking most gear you've mentioned, it certainly will be interesting to see if the Triton meets your expectations.
I am pretty critical of my tanks as well haha. Not all experiences are alike. We vape different juice ratios, power, and don't have the exact same tanks etc. most folks love the subtank mini while I have to work hard to find a way to stop it from leaking out the airholes with my thin juice (and I'm not alone in this). I bought the v1 RBA deck with smaller juice channels from sweet-Vapes and trying it now.

Last edited:

Katdarling

Supporting Member
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Jan 25, 2011
Utopia
So true, David. It's really such a solo endeavor. I love that we all can share our experiences, but in the end, it's you (general you) and your device and tank and liquid.

Use higher VG to make their coils/tank work? Really? I'm afraid if that's so, I'll most likely be a no on the Triton tanks and coils. I'm a 65/35 PG/VG user, and don't have any intention to up the VG. It feels too heavy in my lungs.

No Klouds Kat~

drysprocket

Ultra Member
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Jul 11, 2014
Los Angeles
So true, David. It's really such a solo endeavor. I love that we all can share our experiences, but in the end, it's you (general you) and your device and tank and liquid.

Use higher VG to make their coils/tank work? Really? I'm afraid if that's so, I'll most likely be a no on the Triton tanks and coils. I'm a 65/35 PG/VG user, and don't have any intention to up the VG. It feels too heavy in my lungs.

No Klouds Kat~

Oh and just to clarify, I mean the old Triton, not these new mini ones that are BVC size. I'm hoping they address this since the coil is smaller. One would think they would have one mouth to lunger on staff to consult hah.

Reactions: David Wolf

David Wolf

Moved On
ECF Veteran
Dec 11, 2014
Charlotte, NC
OH! If the coils makers do not require us to use a particular ratio, (which makes me laugh just saying that) then I retract the 'not fer me' statement! :D

Thank you, dry. :)
Well I'm with you guys on this, whatever the tank, it has to work with my juice and my vaping style, I won't change that for a tank. I will buy tanks that work best for me.

h00ligan

Ultra Member
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Jan 2, 2015
London, UK
Yup! Well put. My impression is the triton mini is here to replace the nautilus mini. I believe they're probably losing sales on the nautilus to newer competitors and yet there are those of us who still like to mouth to lung. My guess is they don't want to make coils they can charge a dollar for when they Dan update them using the same factories and charge $2.

I basically think they probably would be able to call the triton mini the nautilus 2 but that may be wishful thinking. The coils may be vertical and so huge internally they can't be used well for mouth to lung.

For example These work ok for mouth to lung but they aren't great for flavor probably due to the internal diameter

a0bc162fe31fa224cf9bd37313fbfbaf.jpg

If they can make them a hair smaller but with a similar build it will be great I think.

Few more weeks

Has anyone seen places for preorder?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users who are viewing this thread