A7-OID success!

Status
Not open for further replies.

mike26038

ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Dec 2, 2012
Glen Dale, WV
I got tired of fooling around with my Killer 705, cannot make my mini DID clone work, so I dug in my bag of vape mail goodies and pulled out the A7-OID drip tip, A7 and supplies.

i made my own wick from pure cotton yarn, boiled it twice. Not sure why boiling is needed, but I've seen it suggested? 3 wraps of my unknown size Nichrome, it's super thin, gave me 2.5 ohms. Had to mess with the wick setup a good bit, wound up using two pieces of yarn, one tucked into the drip well in the A7's base, and both ends of the other up into the cera filled cap.

Results: this thing vapes like a freight train, nice huge clouds, best flavor I've tasted yet(my first cotton wick), and my whole body is tingling from the nic rush.

So far I'm impressed, for a cheap Spheroid type rba, so far I think it was money well spent, need more time to play with it.

JD1

Vaping Master
ECF Veteran
Nov 20, 2010
KY
I got tired of fooling around with my Killer 705, cannot make my mini DID clone work, so I dug in my bag of vape mail goodies and pulled out the A7-OID drip tip, A7 and supplies.

i made my own wick from pure cotton yarn, boiled it twice. Not sure why boiling is needed, but I've seen it suggested? 3 wraps of my unknown size Nichrome, it's super thin, gave me 2.5 ohms. Had to mess with the wick setup a good bit, wound up using two pieces of yarn, one tucked into the drip well in the A7's base, and both ends of the other up into the cera filled cap.

Results: this thing vapes like a freight train, nice huge clouds, best flavor I've tasted yet(my first cotton wick), and my whole body is tingling from the nic rush.

So far I'm impressed, for a cheap Spheroid type rba, so far I think it was money well spent, need more time to play with it.

Great! I love success stories. :vapor:

I think it's great that we have some choices now. I started shortly after the 510 hit the market and spent my time (unsuccessfully) trying to get the cartridges to wick properly. Now I spend my time wrapping coils with cotton wicks and fogging my room up lol.
:vapor:

Randy C

Ultra Member
ECF Veteran
Feb 17, 2012
SW Florida
Properly set-up A-7's are very hard to beat; they can outperform RBA's costing 5 timed their much! A-7's are well made, versatile, and very, very cost effective. I've been using these on my Reo Grand (bottom feeder) for quite a while and the results have been spectacular. I mod them a bit for use on a bottom feeder: I drill a 1/16" hole in the cover, stabilize the center pin with a home-made bushing, and seal the mounting surface with an O-ring. These can be used on virtually any device and are just an outstanding value!

I don't have any experience with the OID's... Where did you buy it from? Please post some photos and let us know how you like it. Since I find A-7 performance stellar as they are, I'm looking forward to hearing if these things really increase the performance of the A-7, or if they're just the result of another marketing ploy

Last edited:

sacricide

ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Dec 27, 2012
sacramento
Properly set-up A-7's are very hard to beat; they can outperform RBA's costing 5 timed their much! A-7's are well made, versatile, and very, very cost effective. I've been using these on my Reo Grand (bottom feeder) for quite a while and the results have been spectacular. I mod them a bit for use on a bottom feeder: I drill a 1/16" hole in the cover, stabilize the center pin with a home-made bushing, and seal the mounting surface with an O-ring. These can be used on virtually any device and are just an outstanding value!

I don't have any experience with the OID's... Where did you buy it from? Please post some photos and let us know how you like it. Since I find A-7 performance stellar as they are, I'm looking forward to hearing if these things really increase the performance of the A-7, or if they're just the result of another marketing ploy
these guys make it,
http://captivape.com/index.php?products&a=view_product&product_id=77

i got no shipping notifications yet, damnit.

t.d

Moved On
ECF Veteran
May 23, 2009
SoCal

sacricide

ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Dec 27, 2012
sacramento
just got mine, performs so incredibly im astounded. (prebuild stock coil at 2.8 ohm, stuffed sera wool in neatly) blowing major clouds. but atm its running better than anything (basic) ive used so far. and flavor is best of anything i have touched till now no joke

leaking bad? i hope not... lets see soon ill test it out

Last edited:

donnah

Vaping Master
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Aug 22, 2010
Albemarle, North Carolina
I'm planning on getting an A7 for my Sgt Army Tank bottom feeder and getting the "oid" for it also. when I first saw the design (spheriod) I wasn't too interesed.. looked too much like a carto type filler device. But now I'm hearing some good things about this design. I'm waiting for Captivape to get the kit in stock. I guess I could get the components seperately.. only $1 more than the "kit"

I watched a video where Scott was reviewing this type of device and he said to expect some frustration in the beginning when trying to figure out the proper amount of filler to put in the cap. Too much and it doesn't wick well.. too little and it wicks too well.

Also.. I bought my RSST from captivape.. a good price and great service. When I had a question about it, and emailed them, they responded promptly. I also emailed them a couple weeks ago about replacement parts for the RSST (washers and springs) and again, a prompt, friendly reply.

Thyroid

ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Nov 12, 2012
Lohja, Finland
I have both, Spheroid and a7oid - and some ways I like my a7oid better. Warmer vape, more intense taste. Spheroid has a little bit firmer throat hit though. But seems also, that I have to go lower ohms on Spheroid, than with a7oid.

Definately worth of money, I bought mine under 20 euros (a7-atty + a7oid drip tip + cotton + screwdriver)

Thyroid

ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Nov 12, 2012
Lohja, Finland
I just discovered the A7 as it was recommended for a bottom feeder, but I'm still not sure what the oid actually is. Their site description says you can drip with it but not add juice as often, but the talk of wicking material makes it sound like a glorified cart. Can somebody help clear this up for me?

A7oid is basically driptip for A7-dripping atty. The tube of the driptip goes inside to the top cap of a7, so you can put cotton (or any filling material you prefer) around it. Cotton holds about 1,5-2,0ml of juice. Then you just make wick and coil, like normally on dripping atomizers, so that the silica is in touch with moisturised cotton when you screw the cap back on. So the purpose of the cotton is only to hold liquid and feed the silica, it isn't in contact with coil itself like in cartos.

Filling material of course also decreases the air chamber of A7, giving you more warmer vape and more pronounced flavour.

a7oidreview1.jpg

a7oidreview2.jpg

donnah

Vaping Master
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Aug 22, 2010
Albemarle, North Carolina
I got my A7 oid today and am very impressed. The preinstalled coil metered 3ohms, I took that apart and built my own with 2.5mm silica doubled and 30g, it came out to 1.5ohms. Instead of rolling the sera around the oid... (it wouldn't go down into the atty) I had to stuff it up around the oid and it worked nicely. I think I actually like it better than my GP spheroid.. the flavor seems warmer and more intense. I love the mouth piece.. it's very narrow and comfortable.

I wanted to use it on my bottomfeeder, I have a Sgt Army Tank.. but it won't make a connection without an adaptor (the mod's fault) and the juice won't feed well with the adaptor on so I can't use it as a bottom feeder with the device I have.

And yes, this does remind me of the atty/cartridge combo I used when I first started but the filler holds a lot more juice and I've yet to get any burnt or dry hits. So far, it's wicking very well, perfectly in fact. It's a bit tricky to rebuild because the wire go into holes on the posts and then the screws screw down to capture them.. then you have to bring the coil up and position it over the middle air hole, tricky but not too difficult.

Even though I can't bottom fed it, with the equiptment I have, I'm very happy with this :)

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users who are viewing this thread