A7 Users: What is your favorite wick setup?

Status
Not open for further replies.

elscorcho

ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Apr 29, 2013
Treasure Coast, FL
Just got my first A7 from Discount Vapers. The coils it came with use three 1mm silica wicks with about 5 wraps. For my first rebuild I will try to duplicate that setup. But in the interest of what might work better......Are you guys building them similarly? Or are you using only 1 or two thicker wicks? I will start with 32ga Kanthal.

THANKS!

Crash Moses

Ultra Member
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Nov 30, 2012
Lansing, Michigan
I've been using 3mm silica with a 3/4 wrap of twisted 32 awg Kanthal at about 1.0 ohm. I don't like to go lower because the durn thing gets HOT.

I've tried cotton as well and that works very nicely also. I have the A7oid from Captivapes but was nonplussed by the flavor. It did last a lot longer before needing to refill though. I may try again with different wicking to see if that helps.

super_X_drifter

ECF Guru
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Oct 4, 2012
Somewhere out there
www.youtube.com
4y3yda6a.jpg

Although the atty in the pic is not an A7, the coil layout is the same.

This is 30ga Kanthal A1 wrapped around a 1/16" mold then a wick of rolled cotton is slid thru the coil once its mounted and the mold is pulled. Heats up super quick and even, wicks like a charm and vapes like a dream. :)

super_X_drifter

ECF Guru
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Oct 4, 2012
Somewhere out there
www.youtube.com
Thanks for the input guys!:toast:

Nice photo, drifter. I like the idea of pulling the mold and threading the coil AFTER its mounted......I was doing it beforehand (with some difficulty).

Thanks! It can be a little challenging I agree. I find that long tails on your coil (at least 1") make it allot easier. :)

JD1

Vaping Master
ECF Veteran
Nov 20, 2010
KY
I've been using 3mm silica with a 3/4 wrap of twisted 32 awg Kanthal at about 1.0 ohm. I don't like to go lower because the durn thing gets HOT.

I've tried cotton as well and that works very nicely also. I have the A7oid from Captivapes but was nonplussed by the flavor. It did last a lot longer before needing to refill though. I may try again with different wicking to see if that helps.

I wrap with two 32 ga wires side by side instead of twisted. Not a lot of difference but the side by side gives a little more surface area on the wick plus you can wrap it as a micro or close to it.

I use a 5/64th drill bit and a 4/5 wrap (10 coils) for around 1.3 ohms, cheese cloth for the wick.

Edit: I should add that I'm not using as A7, but it's a similar mounting.

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.

Users who are viewing this thread