About to do first coil build and have some questions.

Status
Not open for further replies.

AustinNelson

May 5, 2015
Hey there, I just started vaping about a month ago using RTAs but I figured I would order the Mutation X V3 and try out an rda.

I ordered 22 gauge Kanthal A1 wire with some organic cotton. I have an IPV Mini 2, which is capable of .2 ohms, and Samsung INR18650-25R batteries with max 20A discharge. I was wondering what would be the best build? I am gonna do a dual micro coil but I'm not sure on how many wraps I should do to stay above that .2 ohm resistance. I will be getting a mechanical mod here soon but I am deciding on which one to get.

Help would be appreciated

93gc40

Vaping Master
ECF Veteran
Oct 5, 2014
California
start with building the coil or coils on steamengine.

For what it's worth I would do the first few build at about the same power levels yo are using NOW.

There is N O room for error at .2ohms and is not a good place to learn. At .2 a .1 error could DAMAGE your device. also your battery is only "safe" to .3ohm, Personally I'd stop at .5ohm.

Reactions: edyle

Bunnykiller

ECF Guru
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Nov 17, 2013
New Orleans La.
22 gauge is a pretty heavy wire.... its gonna take alot of heat to get it up to working condition ( long preheat) and it will hold that heat long after you let off the button( cook thehellouta your wick)... consider 26 gauge... heats up quicker and cools quicker.. I prefer 28...

Rustynail17

Oct 4, 2013
Round Rock
First and for most, if your new don't start with 22 gauge. I wouldn't recommend it. Start with 28 or 30 to be honest. Never run 20amp batteries below a .5 build. 28 guage 6 wraps dual coils on like a 3mm drill bit/screw driver will get u about .6-.7 if I remember. A .2 is going to be a hot vape for a new person and is not good on some 20amp batteries. Battery safety is very important. Any questions feel free to ask.

Shigura

ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Jan 26, 2015
Lincoln, NE
And unfortunately I'm going also reiterate what those above me said, profusely. Plus keep in mind that pushing your regulated mod to its lowest resistance will also hugely impact that battery life if you so choose to do it.

Sorry it isn't that I just agree with them its more of a precaution if anything. I will add you have taken a good step in the right direction for the fact your using a regulated mod instead of utilizing a mech mod.

Last edited:

CloudyWithChanceOfVape

ECF Veteran
Dec 2, 2014
USA
First and for most, if your new don't start with 22 gauge. I wouldn't recommend it. Start with 28 or 30 to be honest. Never run 20amp batteries below a .5 build. 28 guage 6 wraps dual coils on like a 3mm drill bit/screw driver will get u about .6-.7 if I remember. A .2 is going to be a hot vape for a new person and is not good on some 20amp batteries. Battery safety is very important. Any questions feel free to ask.

SOOOOOO Totally agree with the 22gauge being too much for a beginner. Go for 28gauge, then try some twisted and parallels.

Reactions: Rustynail17

edyle

ECF Guru
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Oct 23, 2013
Port-of-Spain, Trinidad & Tobago
Status
Not open for further replies.

Users who are viewing this thread