About to get started, couple of quick questions.

Status
Not open for further replies.

UnFettered_Soul

Exalted Grand High Poobah
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Sorry if this is posted elsewhere!

Just received some vape mail today, and although I don't have time to mess with it today, I will by the weekend.

I am planning on (let's just say 10ml from what I purchased).
For 12mg nic I would use:
5ml 24mg 100% VG nic base
4ml 100% PG
1ml capellas Lemon Lime

Now, I would like a dash of sweet, and having no clue if this flavor is already sweet, but let's just say it isn't,
I can add a drop or two of cotton candy?
Will this then change my nic ratio?

I would have to do the math again, but I read somewhere that all/most capellas is good at 15%.

Should I be adding more flavor and less PG to get the same final nic count?
Rather than just adding more flavor....just adding more flavor to the above mix would not only give me more ml but
probably less final nic count?
I mean, I don't want to taste it and then just keep adding drops of flavor?

(I know there are juice calculators out there I can change numbers around with.)

Hoosier

Vaping Master
ECF Veteran
Jan 26, 2010
Indiana
Sorry if this is posted elsewhere!

Just received some vape mail today, and although I don't have time to mess with it today, I will by the weekend.

I am planning on (let's just say 10ml from what I purchased).
For 12mg nic I would use:
5ml 24mg 100% VG nic base
4ml 100% PG
1ml capellas Lemon Lime

Now, I would like a dash of sweet, and having no clue if this flavor is already sweet, but let's just say it isn't,
I can add a drop or two of cotton candy?
Yes, you can.
Will this then change my nic ratio?
Sure since "mg" really means mg/ml it would drop clean down to something like 11.9mg/ml
I would have to do the math again, but I read somewhere that all/most capellas is good at 15%.

Should I be adding more flavor and less PG to get the same final nic count?
Right back to the "mg" really means mg/ml so if you want the same mg, you have to swap out ml's.
Rather than just adding more flavor....just adding more flavor to the above mix would not only give me more ml but
probably less final nic count?
Same question?
I mean, I don't want to taste it and then just keep adding drops of flavor?
Why not? Do you not have any other juice to hold you over until you get your recipe prefected? What if you discover that your tastes require less flavoring than most other DIY'ers?
(I know there are juice calculators out there I can change numbers around with.)

Yep, I like Scubabatdan's myself. It's always open when I'm mixing and even when I'm just thinking about mixing.

UnFettered_Soul

ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Thanks Hoosier!
I appreciate the reply.

I do have some juice for "in the meantime".

What I meant by "keep adding drops of flavor", is I really didn't want to aim for 12mg and wind up with 6ish just adding drops of flavor.
On the other hand, I only intend to do a small amount, and the next batch, I would cut the PG before adding x drops or x ml of flavor.
This would give me the flavor I was after, while maintaining the nic I was aiming for.

If I have this right. LOL

I'm excited to give it a try, but I've limited myself to one flavor/stand alone flavors I can add a drop or two of cotton candy to.
Thanks again.

AzPlumber

Vaping Master
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Aug 28, 2011
Arizona
Most experienced DIY mixer will do small 1ml to 5ml test batches when working out percentages of a new flavor. Some mixers will use one small test batch and make flavor adjustments to their taste while others with make several small test batches at varying flavor %. The best advice is take notes and as Hoosier said use a e-juice calculator.

UnFettered_Soul

ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Thanks Az.
I went with 10ml, using a calculator, just because it seemed like nice even numbers for the %s.
I gave it a shot with
5ml nic base
2ml banana
3ml PG and must have been slightly off on one of them cause adding 6 drops of EM/cotton candy
landed me right at 10ml.

Letting it sit for a little while, flavor could be a little stronger.
I'll leave it alone for a while and see if it gets better before adding anything else.
I also won't worry about final nic count until I get the flavor down, just so I'll know if I need to cut the PG to add more flavor.

UnFettered_Soul

ECF Veteran
Verified Member
What ever works for you is the perfect way to do it. Just as many opinions as options when doing DIY. Banana is one of my favorite flavors hope i turns out great for you. Not sure if you are aware but Hoosier has several outstanding blogs on DIY with great info.

I was not, but I'll look up his blogs.
Thanks again.

UnFettered_Soul

ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Well, I tried some again at 2 days. It's still pretty good.
Flavor is a little better, so I'm going to let it sit for a couple of more days.

I went ahead and made up some small bottles of the rest of the flavors I had ordered.
Very basic, one flavor. But, I was able to mix up something I can vape, and that's a darn good starting point I think.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users who are viewing this thread