The costs of running this huge site are paid for by ads. Please consider registering and becoming a Supporting Member for an ad-free experience. Thanks, ECF team.

accidently bought 8a batteries....

Discussion in 'Batteries and Chargers' started by penguinfan, Dec 28, 2018.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Image has been removed.
URL has been removed.
Email address has been removed.
Media has been removed.
  1. penguinfan

penguinfan Full Member

Jan 25, 2013
    Waldorf, MD
    are they ok to go as high as 35 watts or should I return or find someone that can use them?

2. classwife

classwife Admin Admin Verified Member ECF Veteran

Supporting member
    Heya penguinfan - moved you to Batteries and Chargers :)

3. tailland

tailland Ultra Member ECF Veteran

Aug 11, 2018
    Germany
    return them.

• Agree Agree x 2
  4. mimöschen

mimöschen Ultra Member ECF Veteran

Jul 15, 2016
    CDR x 3 = max wattage per cell.
    In this case your 8A cells are good for 24W in a single cell mod, 48W in a dual cell mod and 72W in a triple cell mod.

• Like Like x 2
  5. Baditude

Baditude ECF Guru ECF Veteran

Apr 8, 2012
    Ridgeway, Ohio
    I agree with @mimöschen.

However I'm curious to know how you know they are 8 amp batteries? :blink:

All the high drain 18650 batteries that I am aware of being sold nowadays are some form of hybrid IMR batteries. Batteries with less than 10 amps are probably low drain, high capacity ICR batteries ... a different chemistry better suited for a common flashlight, laptop, or portable radio. ICR batteries typically are less resistant to overheating when used at high drain levels because they have a higher internal resistance and create internal heat. ICR batteries typically don't have the amp rating listed in the product specifications.

So, specifically what brand and model batteries do you have? If they are indeed ICR chemistry batteries, I would not use them in a mod. They have been considered obsolete for vaping for a few years now.
    WATTAGE PER SINGLE 18650 BATTERY on REGULATED MOD:
    (Total wattage doubles using 2 batteries; Triples using 3 batteries.)

Up to 45W:
    Samsung 18650 30Q, 3000 mah 15 amp CDR [​IMG]
    Sony 18650VTC6 3000mAh 15 amp CDR [​IMG]
    Up to 60W:
    LG 18650HG2 3000mah 20 amp CDR [​IMG]
    LG 18650HE4 2500 mah 20 amp CDR [​IMG]
    Samsung 18650-25R, 2500 mah 20 amp CDR [​IMG]
    Sanyo UR18650NSX, 2500 mah 20 amp CDR [​IMG]
    Sony 18650VTC5, 2600 mah 20 amp CDR [​IMG]
    Sony 18650VTC4, 2100 mah 23 amp CDR [​IMG]

Up to 75W:
    LG 18650 HD4 2100 mah 25 amp CDR [​IMG]
    LG 18650 HD2 2000 mah 25 amp CDR [​IMG]
    Samsung 18650-24S, 2500 mah 25 amp CDR [​IMG]
    Sony 18650VTC5A, 2500 mah 25 amp CDR [​IMG]
    Up to 90W:
    LG18650HB6 1500mah 30 amp CDR [​IMG]
    LG18650HB2 1500mAh 30 amp CDR [​IMG]
    LG18650HB4 1500mAh 30 amp CDR [​IMG]
    Samsung 18650-20S 2000mah 30 amp CDR [​IMG]

• Like Like x 1
    • Agree Agree x 1
    • Useful Useful x 1
  6. mimöschen

mimöschen Ultra Member ECF Veteran

Jul 15, 2016
    The Sony/Murata US18650VC7 is an 8A cell for example.

Those prefixes like ICR, INR and IMR mean absolutely nothing to us endconsumers.
    There may be a lot of different actual chemistries behind each prefix and what LG calls ICR, Sanyo may call NCR and Samsung INR. Sony/Murata doesn't even use those prefixes at all.
    The LG 18650 HE4 is labeled as ICR for example, nevertheless its a 20A 2500mah high drain cell, so you can be sure it doesn't use the chemistry defined by the theoretical ICR-standard.

• Like Like x 2
    • Informative Informative x 1
  7. madstabber

madstabber Vaping Master Verified Member ECF Veteran

Get yourself a good 18650 flashlight, those batteries will be perfect for a flashlight and everyone needs a good flashlight. If you haven’t bought a flashlight in several years their performance is amazing. A light that takes an 18650 can net you 1000+ lumens and a very long runtime. Fenix, Klarus, Zebralight, and Olight are just a few good brands.

• Like Like x 3
  8. penguinfan

penguinfan Full Member

Jan 25, 2013
    Waldorf, MD
    The invoice says 8A(the Sony are green)....took a sec to figure which were which 20a(the LG brown). I would maybe do a flashlight but I got one for Xmas and have 2 others. I've ordered wrong batteries (but larger unusable...not even 18650s)....actually didn't return may contact IMR but I might have waited too long ...I mainly use a Kanger mini c. Have a high end sigali(I'm guessing spelling is a bit off there) enough that takes 2 batteries. Probably could use them in it if I ever use it.Unfortunatly I have too many batteries I think they are at least 15a(unless i ordered lower by error and didn't notice.....but the good thing is I took the suggestion of getting rid of efest batteries
    ...I assume that is good

• Like Like x 1
  9. bask

bask Super Member ECF Veteran

Dec 17, 2012
    The Euroneous Zone
    Alternatively, you could just buy an MTL tank, build a 1.8ohm coil and join the tootle puffers club. :D

With a 1.8ohm coil you could go up to 115 watts until you reach 8 amps!

• Like Like x 1
  10. penguinfan

penguinfan Full Member

Jan 25, 2013
    Waldorf, MD
    not gopod for the copiim using ..I do have a sigelei I really don't use right now. The tank I bought with it is too small.
    I know they are 8a batteries because that's what's on the invoice. Have way too many batteries (got rid of all efest).
    Probably don't need another flashlight right now. Could keep them lable the holders so I don't use them until I use a 2 battery mod.

Sorry for the extra post and too many errors....still trying to get phone settings right with keyboard spelling check ect

• Like Like x 1
  11. bombastinator

bombastinator ECF Guru Verified Member ECF Veteran

Sep 12, 2010
    MN USA
    Return if possible (it generally isn’t with batteries).

Even 10a batteries are iffy in anything but a MTL system. I wouldn’t even give them to another vaper. If you’ve got to make use of them they’re probably meant for LED flashlight use.

• Like Like x 1
  12. madstabber

If you put them in storage for awhile, until you get a dual 18650 mod. It’s best to have them at about half capacity. You don’t want to store them with a full charge or empty, somewhere in the 3.5-3.6 volt is best for long term inactivity.

• Optimistic Optimistic x 1
  13. tailland

Aug 11, 2018
    Germany
    What do you make of those 8,000-10,000 lumen headlights? are there any models that come close to these claimed numbers?

• Like Like x 1
  14. madstabber

Not from the flashlight in your link or from a single 18650 flashlight for that matter. For 8-10k lumens you would need a flashlight that takes several 18650’s and they cost a few hundred dollars.

15. tailland

Aug 11, 2018
    Germany
    And what do you make of this one?
    US $11.19 30% OFF|42000 lumens Flashlight 12*T6 LED Outdoor high Power waterproof Flash Light for Fishing with 4*18650 Battery+charger-in LED Flashlights from Lights & Lighting on Aliexpress.com | Alibaba Group

Video seen here:
    https://ae-cn.alicdn.com/NKHDe4teSnUr0QRlzdA/cbNvz6FpQy8bOsjYnsT%40%40hd.mp4

16. madstabber

I’m not familiar with that brand but for the price I’d say something has to suffer. I’d also guess the lumens are exaggerated sorta like with the mah ratings of dubious cells Mooch warns us about. CandlePowerForums is a flashlight forum you may want to check out. I’m not dodging your questions it’s just I have no experience with extremely high lumen flashlights you’re asking about. I have some single 18650 flashlights which are brighter then I would ever need at 1000 lumens. They will light up a huge area outside at 1k lumens and indoors I usually only use them in the lower modes of a few hundred lumens. I have a Zebralight and a Fenix flashlight but nitecore and olight are a few other good flashlight makers. The flashlight you linked claiming that performance for $11 is suspect and I’d avoid.

17. Barkuti

Barkuti Super Member ECF Veteran

There are high drain cells using chemistries without manganese. And I usually see discharge rates listed in low drain cells' datasheets (2C maximum is typical).

Other than that, if penguinfan got VC7 cells they're pretty good and can also be used for vaping for as long as we stick to specifications and/or common sense. ≈24W per cell maximum as others have said. And fellows, please remember a cell's operational sweet spot is not close to its maximum. :unsure:

PoS batteries, PoS charger, the flashlight looks cool but pretty sure it's PoS too (cheap led emitters, dreadful light quality…). The included strap is cool. :thumbs:

Happy New 2019 Year everyone :)

• Like Like x 2
  18. Mooch

Mooch Electron Wrangler Verified Member ECF Veteran

Supporting member
    May 13, 2015
    Agreed.
    IMR,INR, and ICR are model prefixes, not chemistries, and can be very confusing if used as chenistries.

For example, LG’s ICR18650-HE2 is NMC chemistry and not the LCO chemistry typically used by LiPo pouch cells.

• Like Like x 3
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.