Status
Not open for further replies.

Bronze

ECF Guru
Supporting Member
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Aug 19, 2012
The Achilles rda by Titanium mods has been out for a good long while. I've had mine a month and a half or so. I've enjoyed it so much that I felt it needed its own thread. This rda is the brainchild of Titanium Mods out of the Ukraine. Truthfully though, I bought mine from Frog in Fog (a much less expensive clone). Not to save money but because Titanium Mods never had any in stock. And I found no other place that offered them. So Frog in Fog it was (as of this writing they are currently out of stock but restocking).

Titanium mods from Ukraine - Titanium mods from Ukraine

Achilles Atomizer Clone / Titanium RDA / Achilles RBA (Frog in Fog)

Quickly, the Achilles RDA is a single coil, flavor chasing RDA. It has a very large juice capacity at a full 2.5ml. It is a direct-to-coil airflow which enhances flavor IMO. It has an adjustable airflow but let me caution you it is still tight even all the way open (or screw removed). The air hole comes from the side of the deck then up through a tall chimney up the center of the deck. This allows you to fill the RDA to just under the air hole opening. Why this design? Because it DOES NOT LEAK!!! The juice cannot make its way to the air hole opening no matter how hard you try. For those who are familiar with the Veritas (also a leak resistant design), the Achilles is even more leak resistant to the point where it can almost be called leak proof. You can get some leakage out the drip dip if you hold it upside down but even then it is not a gusher due to the well built into the top cap. As you have figured out by now, the Achilles is made from titanium, a very lightweight but incredibly strong metal. The engravings are quite attractive.

What do I like about the Achilles RDA (not necessarily in order)?

1. Large capacity (2.5ml). More than any 22mm RDA I am aware of.
2. Direct-to-coil airflow. Makes for excellent flavor. Right there with the Veritas or Plume Veil and I suspect just about any RDA.
3. Lightweight titanium. This RDA is feather light but tough as nails.
4. Single coil design makes this one of the easiest atomizers to build. Nothing complicated here folks.
5. IT's LEAKPROOF! I HATE leaky attys and almost all RDAs leak. Not this one! Did I say I HATE leaky attys?

CAUTION: Let me repeat, the Achilles RDA has a tight draw even wide open. If you insist on lots of air this is not your RDA.

You will find Titanium Mods makes a variety of atomizers. He seems to be out of stock on most of them. Feel free to contact him if you want to encourage him to make more authentics. I have never talked to him. Frog in Fog seems to restock when they run out but you might want to contact them too about availability.

Finally, I cannot end this OP without acknowledging a good friend of mine, April (aka, Mostly Sunny), who is the one who turned me on to this RDA. April got hers from Titanium Mods about a half year ago after extensive research. Despite her glowing reviews, no one bit on her recommendation (including me) until recently. Titanium Mods never had them in stock so another friend (Retic) hunted down the clone at Frog in Fog. I make a single microcoil, 28 gauge kanthal, 10 wraps, 2.0 mm diameter, 1.5 ohms and run it on my Provari P3 at 10 watts. Yes, I'm a cool vaper. I will try to get April to post her thoughts on this thread. April makes nickel coils as she runs hers on a temp protection Vapor Flask and she is an excellent resource for how to build an Achilles on a DNA 40. She's gone through all the trials and tribulations. So with that, thank you April for turning me on to this absolutely fabulous RDA and enjoy folks.

Last edited:

1/2 fast

ECF Veteran
Dec 3, 2013
SW Ohio
I've been using one about three weeis. Couldn't be happier so far. Bronze's description is spot on. Draw is tight as stated but not severely so IMO.

Still out of stock at Frog in Fog as of a few minutes ago. Strangely they're asking for ???votes??? by country for whether to restock listing the USA, Germany, China, Australia and the UK seperately if you choose to log in and do so.

AndriaD

Reviewer / Blogger
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Jan 24, 2014
LawrencevilleGA
angryvaper.crypticsites.com
Here's my 2 -- I'm in love with them!

2achilles.jpg

Y'all let us know when FinF gets them back! I want another one! :D

Andria

MostlySunny

Vaping Master
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Sep 17, 2012
Arizona
Nice review Bronze! This has been out for a while, I think it launched in 2012? I ordered mine back in October and it took about 3 weeks to get here from the Ukraine. I loved it immediately, nothing fancy, single coil, amazing flavor. I use it primarily with nickel builds like Bronze said, just tons of room in there for all those wraps! The clone sounds like it did a nice job replicating it. I think the only difference I've heard was the threading was a bit rough on the clone, where mine is buttery smooth. Aesthically the only differnce I see is that I have additional engraving "to my friend" on the base and a serial number on the bottom.

It is indeed a very tight draw.

AndriaD

Reviewer / Blogger
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Jan 24, 2014
LawrencevilleGA
Just some thoughts on what I'm loving so far about the Achilles...

It builds very much like a Kayfun -- very easily. It's a good bit tighter draw than my Kayfuns, which I like for quite a few reasons; it's really what I prefer, as it's more like the feel of the things I'm replacing; the flavor is every bit as good as a Kayfun, if not even more saturated because of the low airflow; because of the tight airflow, I can turn down the wattage a little, from 10w to 9w, so I make less vapor -- great for my asthma -- which means I use less ejuice.

With all those excellent points, you then have the fact that it's "top fill" -- you don't have to take it off the mod and fiddle with a screw -- YAY!!!!!! And then, that it will hold 2-2.5ml... the thing is just a godsend.

The only thing I could add to all that greatness, is that I wish someone made a clear tank piece for it. Right now I'm only putting about 2ml in it, because with the coil over the airflow, I can't tell exactly how high the liquid is, in relation to the airhole. But that's a small quibble, and perhaps if we all keep hollering about how great these beauties are, someone will get the brainy idea to start making those, and maybe other little gadgets and gizmos just for the Achilles. :D

Andria

Mtek

Ultra Member
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Oct 14, 2014
WA
Achilles was before my time, but I did get one of the limited Promety 3 "drip mode" rda models when available. I think the draw is a lot like a Kfl, I know they are flavor tanks, but because I prefer an open draw I've never even used it.

I think I'll list it and/or trade it when I get around to it.

Anyway, looks similar. I really like the looks of all titanium mods tanks and mechs.

image.jpg1_zpswst67xyj.jpg

AndriaD

Reviewer / Blogger
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Jan 24, 2014
LawrencevilleGA
I guess an RDA like the Achilles with its tight draw would be a real gem for one of those TC mods. I dunno, I just turned mine down from 10w to about 8.5-9w. And made the coil higher resistance apparently, though it ended up higher than I had intended. I aimed at 1.5 I think, but on my iSticks it's reading 1.8, and on the CF IV, it reads 1.9. Innokins always seem to read .1 higher than every other mod.

It's great on the CF IV, because the Achilles is so light --the CF IV + Achilles probably weighs about the same as an iStick with a kayfun. :D

Andria

AndriaD

Reviewer / Blogger
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Jan 24, 2014
LawrencevilleGA
I absolutely have to buy one of these. It sounds like all the benefits of a Kayfun, with none of the problems.

Achilles RDAs have sent my kayfuns into unplanned retirement; 4 of them, not being used at all, since I have 2 Achilles.

I bought one of mine from Frog in Fog, knowing durn well it was a clone, but so are my tobeco kayfuns, I dun care. But someone PIFed me a 2nd Achilles, and a Prometey; I've been sitting here looking at the pics above, of both the clone and authentic Achilles, and I'm pretty sure, just from looking at the engraving, that the one I was PIFed is actually an authentic. I noticed right away of course that they vape just ever so slightly differently, but I can't say which, if either, is better than the other, they're just too close. I took the "whistle-screw" out of both, the draw is tight enough that those screws are not needed.

Andria

Reactions: TraderX

TraderX

ECF Veteran
Verified Member
May 29, 2015
Philly Suburbs
I sure wish that I had found out about these sooner, before I loaded up on Kayfuns and thinking that they were the greatest thing since sliced bread. Maybe two times out of ten, I make a bad coil or wick in the Kayfuns. They vape fine for about 30 minutes or so, then they start to taste burned or just bad. Then I have a whole tank full of juice and a headache to fix the problem. This Achilles seems like it would be perfect and maybe even better flavor since it really is a RDA after-all. No leaks, easy filling, easy to correct wicks and coils. It seems like the perfect system for the person who prefers flavor and a tighter draw. I will be ordering one ASAP! I am so glad that I saw this thread today!

AndriaD

Reviewer / Blogger
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Jan 24, 2014
LawrencevilleGA
I sure wish that I had found out about these sooner, before I loaded up on Kayfuns and thinking that they were the greatest thing since sliced bread. Maybe two times out of ten, I make a bad coil or wick in the Kayfuns. They vape fine for about 30 minutes or so, then they start to taste burned or just bad. Then I have a whole tank full of juice and a headache to fix the problem. This Achilles seems like it would be perfect and maybe even better flavor since it really is a RDA after-all. No leaks, easy filling, easy to correct wicks and coils. It seems like the perfect system for the person who prefers flavor and a tighter draw. I will be ordering one ASAP! I am so glad that I saw this thread today!

When I first tried it, I thought the vape and the flavor was about the same, but of course at that time, I had a kayfun going with a well-broken-in coil and wick. I did notice that the TH from the Achilles was a LOT more intense; with Kayfuns, i was using 10mg (for quite a long time, well used to it), and nearly always at 10w. With the Achilles, the TH is so intense, I had to drop to 9mg, and never vape it higher than 9.5w; usually about 8.5-9w. But now that I'm used to the Achilles... I can't make a Kayfun vape well to save my life, though I loved them to death for about 8 months.

I break in new wicks at 8w, and it takes VERY little time, with an Achilles, till I can boost it to 8.5 and the flavor is THERE, not much waiting around for the break-in to hurry up and break in. :D I've been using Shiseido cotton pads, because they're just the perfect size to cut a strip, pull it in half, and use that half to wick; I cut off maybe 1/2 an inch once it's all settled in one side, and it's the perfect length for the other, so that both ends are resting on the bottom of the well.

Andria

Reactions: TraderX

Bronze

ECF Guru
Supporting Member
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Aug 19, 2012
Trader, glad you found this thread too. I'm sure you will enjoy your Achilles. I have three of them now..all from Frog in Fog. They dropped the price again. Anyhow, I vape primarily three different flavors so now I have an Achilles for each flavor. And yes, I'm a Kayfun Plus owner too. Have been since shortly after they came out more than two years ago. You will never hear me criticize Kayfuns. They remain one of the biggest breakthrough atomizers in vaping history. Mine are also in retirement as I am vaping the Achilles exclusively. That doesn't mean they will stay in retirement. They have the added advantage of being a tank atty so if you can't fiddle around with refilling then they fit the need.

Report back after you get your Achilles and let us know how you like it.

TraderX

ECF Veteran
Verified Member
May 29, 2015
Philly Suburbs
I apologize Andria, I had no idea you and Bronze replied again. I need to pay more attention to my alerts! I saw you mentioned "breaking in wicks". I don't know any other vapers in my area, so I learned everything myself from reading posts here and watching YouTube videos. Every few Kayfun wicks that I replace, I get a terrible burned taste. If I leave the Kayfun alone for a couple hours and go vape another one, I can come back and it tastes okay sometimes. Other times, I have burned the darn wick up and need to start all over again. I think this is strange, but after reading what you said, maybe I am not breaking in my wicks properly?

Now I need to find out the proper way to break in a wick, lol. I am glad you mentioned this because I thought I was going crazy or something! I ordered an Achilles too, I am really excited like a kid at Christmas!

Reactions: Bronze
Status
Not open for further replies.

Users who are viewing this thread