ACHILLES RDA by Titanium Mods

Status
Not open for further replies.

TraderX

ECF Veteran
Verified Member
May 29, 2015
Philly Suburbs
I apologize Bronze, I had no idea you replied again either. I have set my alerts to e-mail me, so this does not happen again. I just ordered one of the Achilles and I am super excited now as I await its arrival. I am kind of shocked that such a good rda system is getting so little attention. I mean honestly, they sell every kind of tank atomizer and RDA clone on ebay, fasttech, and a half dozen other Chinese clone shops. They even carry ones that have not been popular in a couple of years. Yet this great little RDA is kind of scarce and I have (out of curiosity) checked all over the internet for it. It appears that it can only be had from the FrogInFog. You would think this RDA would be really popular and a great solution for many people, yet it remains rare? In any case, I am sure glad to have seen your post.

Reactions: AndriaD

AndriaD

Reviewer / Blogger
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Jan 24, 2014
LawrencevilleGA
angryvaper.crypticsites.com
I apologize Andria, I had no idea you and Bronze replied again. I need to pay more attention to my alerts! I saw you mentioned "breaking in wicks". I don't know any other vapers in my area, so I learned everything myself from reading posts here and watching YouTube videos. Every few Kayfun wicks that I replace, I get a terrible burned taste. If I leave the Kayfun alone for a couple hours and go vape another one, I can come back and it tastes okay sometimes. Other times, I have burned the darn wick up and need to start all over again. I think this is strange, but after reading what you said, maybe I am not breaking in my wicks properly?

Now I need to find out the proper way to break in a wick, lol. I am glad you mentioned this because I thought I was going crazy or something! I ordered an Achilles too, I am really excited like a kid at Christmas!

With a Kayfun.... I get the wick inserted, and trim it so the bottom of the wick ends are just resting on the little ledge; if they overlap the ledge or hang down any further, they will block the airflow and cause burning. Once they're at the right length, I apply 3-5 drops of juice to each end, and watch as it soaks all the way up till the part inside the coil is soaked. If it doesn't seem wet enough, I apply 1 or 2 more drops, directly to the coil, so it can soak right in. I use japanese organic cotton; my preference is Shiseido, but the KGD is ok too. 3-5 drops per end is plenty, though when I used cotton balls, it was more like 6-7 drops to get it fully soaked. anyway, after the wick is fully soaked, I screw on the bottom of the chimney; peek inside, make sure the wick isn't disarranged (if it's at the right length just resting on the ledges, it usually won't be) -- if it's out of a straight line with the coil, I gently arrange it, and usually put one more drop right onto the coil, then put the chimney-top on, then the rest of the tank, and then turn over and fill.

After filling, I blow out thru the driptip, with the thing angled upward -- keep a paper towel near the airhole or it'll blow-back into your eyes which burns like FIRE; if there is too much liquid in the atty chamber, that will blow it out, so it's not flooded. I take 1 or 2 soft "priming" (non-powered) hits, then, with the power very low (like 8w), I give it a real quick little test vape; if there is some vapor, I give it another quick one or two, make sure I'm not tasting anything burnt or sucking ejuice into my mouth; if all seems well, then I give it a real vape -- the power is still low, so the vapor will be light, but it will let you check to make sure it's working right before you turn the power up. Once you know it's working, you can gradually ease the power up, .5watt at a time, till it's at your preferred wattage; I can usually get it to 10w within an hour or so.

With the Achilles... I trim the wick so the ends are resting on the bottom of the well; put a dropperful into each side (they're actually separate, in the Achilles, not continuous under the coil/airflow cone); then put the tank on, and fill till the liquid is justr below the top of the airflow cone; then put the cap on and vape. I usually start it around 8w too, but can ease it to 9w pretty qickly, within a half hour or so.

Andria

Reactions: TraderX

AndriaD

Reviewer / Blogger
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Jan 24, 2014
LawrencevilleGA
Trader, glad you found this thread too. I'm sure you will enjoy your Achilles. I have three of them now..all from Frog in Fog. They dropped the price again. Anyhow, I vape primarily three different flavors so now I have an Achilles for each flavor. And yes, I'm a Kayfun Plus owner too. Have been since shortly after they came out more than two years ago. You will never hear me criticize Kayfuns. They remain one of the biggest breakthrough atomizers in vaping history. Mine are also in retirement as I am vaping the Achilles exclusively. That doesn't mean they will stay in retirement. They have the added advantage of being a tank atty so if you can't fiddle around with refilling then they fit the need.

Report back after you get your Achilles and let us know how you like it.

I finally got one of my old stand-by KFL+'s vaping well again -- apparently it just needed a good boiling, after months of hard use, to get rid of a bad taste. Nice to know that one of my faves can still work well, no matter how much I love my Achilles. :thumb:

Andria

TraderX

ECF Veteran
Verified Member
May 29, 2015
Philly Suburbs
That is truly awesome information Andria, thank you for taking the time to write that! I know it will help me, and probably a lot of other vapers too if they see this thread. I learned everything from YouTube so I may have learned totally wrong! I am using KGD (don't really like it either)and I insert the wick, then I pull the wick up straight like two rabbit ears. I screw on the bottom part of the chimney. I then cut the wick close to even with the top of the chimney. I then poke it down very gently so the wick is just barely touching the juice channels on each side. I then drop 5 to 7 drips of juice on the wick and coil, then re-assemble everything. I have learned to only fill my tank about 1/4 full (out of fear) because sometime the wick burns up within 20 minutes! It is so frustrating, that is why I was getting upset with the Kayfuns and excited about the Achilles. The method I use works great sometimes, but other times it is horrible. I am just looking for consistency, so I can relax and enjoy a nice vape after I fill my tank.

Also, no one ever said a word on YouTube about going easy on the power either! Maybe I am too hard on the wick at first, I see what you mean about breaking it in on low power. That seems like an excellent idea!

My tank is about empty, so I am going to try your method tonight. I have my fingers crossed! Thank you again, that is one of the most useful and helpful posts I have ever read here!

Last edited:

AndriaD

Reviewer / Blogger
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Jan 24, 2014
LawrencevilleGA
That is truly awesome information Andria, thank you for taking the time to write that! I know it will help me, and probably a lot of other vapers too if they see this thread. I learned everything from YouTube so I may have learned totally wrong! I am using KGD (don't really like it either)and I insert the wick, then I pull the wick up straight like two rabbit ears. I screw on the bottom part of the chimney. I then cut the wick close to even with the top of the chimney. I then poke it down very gently so the wick is just barely touching the juice channels on each side. I then drop 5 to 7 drops of juice on the wick and coil, then re-assemble everything. I have learned to only fill my tank about 1/4 full (out of fear) because sometime the wick burns up within 20 minutes! It is so frustrating, that is why I was getting upset with the Kayfuns and excited about the Achilles. The method I use works great sometimes, but other times it is horrible. I am just looking for consistency, so I can relax and enjoy a nice vape after I fill my tank.

Also, no one ever said a word on YouTube about going easy on the power either! Maybe I am too hard on the wick at first, I see what you mean about breaking it in on low power. That seems like an excellent idea!

My tank is about empty, so I am going to try your method tonight. I have my fingers crossed! Thank you again, that is one of the most useful and helpful post I have ever read here!

I tried the "bunny ears" technique at first; got it from Busardo, who knows everything about vaping, right? :D I also had many wicking problems when I tried that method. Someone pointed out that those little ledges were very helpful for knowing exactly how long the wick should be; once you wet it with ejuice, it will "stick" in place, so it doesn't go all haywire when you put on the chimney-bottom. Sometimes it will get slightly out of alignment with the coil, but that's easy to fix -- you know those lil bluedrivers? Great tool for arranging the wick, though not for much else. :D

Andria

AndriaD

Reviewer / Blogger
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Jan 24, 2014
LawrencevilleGA
I am glad you are giving your good old Kayfuns a chance to vape again Andrea. Those poor things deserve a chance to vape again too! They were probably jealous of that Achilles, lol.

No.. just dirty after the hard use I put them to! (slap self in head) :D They really are great tanks, and I'm glad I finally figured out what the problem was! :)

Andria

TraderX

ECF Veteran
Verified Member
May 29, 2015
Philly Suburbs
Thanks so much Bronze, that is indispensable too. I now have two solid explanations to make sure that I am doing the wicking correctly. I sincerely appreciate you posting that for my benefit. I am now left wondering how many poor boneheads besides myself are learning the incorrect "hit or miss" methods of wicking from YouTube? This site really is great, thanks again my friend.

TraderX

ECF Veteran
Verified Member
May 29, 2015
Philly Suburbs
Andrea, if that simple solution you just explained to me was the problem with my burning wicks, I will be so totally happy! It is easy to wet the wick, stick it to the little shelf area, and avoid the juice channel. I was actually putting the wick just above the channel. I now realize the wick must get wet then sink into the juice channel and maybe it blocks it? This is really great info! Oh Busardo, yep, his was one of the methods I learned from, lol. I thought he knew everything!

Reactions: AndriaD

Bronze

ECF Guru
Supporting Member
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Aug 19, 2012
Trader, one of the more common mistakes people make with burning wicks is not using the correct amount of cotton. I use KGD and never had a dry hit in my life. And I've owned original Kayfuns for more than two years. There are two measurements that are critically and equally important. One is the length. The wick ends must be long enough to reach the deck. Don't make them any longer than necessary...just so they reach the deck and stay there when you paste them to the sides (put the chimney on after you assemble your wick so you can see what you're doing). Saturate the wick ends with juice and paste them to the sides making sure they are long enough to bottom out on the deck and are pushed against the sides. The second measurement is the thickness of your wick. Too little and your wick will eventually burn. Truthfully, you cannot make it thick enough. It will always wick properly no matter how much you increase the thickness. Of course, if you make it too thick you wont be able to get it through your coil. But err on the side of making it thicker, NOT thinner. Myself (and others ran tests on wick thickness and we all concluded that more is more.

Just remember, insert, trim, saturate, and place your wick BEFORE you put the chimney on so you can access it and see your work. Once your wick is pasted to the sides and you're happy with how it looks then you can screw on your chimney and finish assembling your Kayfun.

BTW, I use 2.0mm (5/64") inside diameter microcoils and I use a strip of KGD that is 3/16 - 1/4" wide (with the shiny outer layers removed from the KGD). Use this as a reference and adjust your width accordingly.

AndriaD

Reviewer / Blogger
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Jan 24, 2014
LawrencevilleGA
Trader, one of the more common mistakes people make with burning wicks is not using the correct amount of cotton. I use KGD and never had a dry hit in my life. And I've owned original Kayfuns for more than two years. There are two measurements that are critically and equally important. One is the length. The wick ends must be long enough to reach the deck. Don't make them any longer than necessary...just so they reach the deck and stay there when you paste them to the sides (put the chimney on after you assemble your wick so you can see what you're doing). Saturate the wick ends with juice and paste them to the sides making sure they are long enough to bottom out on the deck and are pushed against the sides. The second measurement is the thickness of your wick. Too little and your wick will eventually burn. Truthfully, you cannot make it thick enough. It will always wick properly no matter how much you increase the thickness. Of course, if you make it too thick you wont be able to get it through your coil. But err on the side of making it thicker, NOT thinner. Myself (and others ran tests on wick thickness and we all concluded that more is more.

Just remember, insert, trim, saturate, and place your wick BEFORE you put the chimney on so you can access it and see your work. Once your wick is pasted to the sides and you're happy with how it looks then you can screw on your chimney and finish assembling your Kayfun.

BTW, I use 2.0mm (5/64") inside diameter microcoils and I use a strip of KGD that is 3/16 - 1/4" wide (with the shiny outer layers removed from the KGD). Use this as a reference and adjust your width accordingly.

You know how I know when I've got too much wick? When I try to pull it thru the coil... and it pulls completely apart! :lol:

Seriously though... I've had more problems with "too little" wick than I have with too much; when it's too much, it won't pull thru easily, which is a dead giveaway; with too little, the only real way to know *visually* is if you can see air space between the wick and the coil -- then you'll get that nasty hot-metal taste. That's really how I finally figured out the correct amount -- it should pull thru easily without damaging the wick because of it catching on the coil, but there should be no air space between wick and coil.

Also -- once you find a size (inner diameter -- the thing you wrap it on) of coil that you can usually get wicked correctly, stick to it! When I first started doing my own coils, I used 7/64, but I very often had the air space; I started using 3/32 and found I could almost always get them wicked correctly, so that's the size I prefer in 99.99% of cases. If I use some other size, I may or may not be able to get it wicked in a functional manner.

Andria

Bronze

ECF Guru
Supporting Member
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Aug 19, 2012
You know how I know when I've got too much wick? When I try to pull it thru the coil... and it pulls completely apart! :lol:

Seriously though... I've had more problems with "too little" wick than I have with too much; when it's too much, it won't pull thru easily, which is a dead giveaway; with too little, the only real way to know *visually* is if you can see air space between the wick and the coil -- then you'll get that nasty hot-metal taste. That's really how I finally figured out the correct amount -- it should pull thru easily without damaging the wick because of it catching on the coil, but there should be no air space between wick and coil.

Also -- once you find a size (inner diameter -- the thing you wrap it on) of coil that you can usually get wicked correctly, stick to it! When I first started doing my own coils, I used 7/64, but I very often had the air space; I started using 3/32 and found I could almost always get them wicked correctly, so that's the size I prefer in 99.99% of cases. If I use some other size, I may or may not be able to get it wicked in a functional manner.

Andria
Yep, the wick should drag through the coil when inserting it but not to the point where it is pulling your coil off the mounting screws. I hang my fingernail over the trailing edge of the coil while pulling it through to prevent deforming the coil.

AndriaD

Reviewer / Blogger
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Jan 24, 2014
LawrencevilleGA
Yep, the wick should drag through the coil when inserting it but not to the point where it is pulling your coil off the mounting screws. I hang my fingernail over the trailing edge of the coil while pulling it through to prevent deforming the coil.

That's why I started using 29ga instead of 30ga, a LOT less deformed-coil problems! But if the wick starts "bunching" on the other end from the side you're pulling... that's probably too much. Though I *have* sometimes gone ahead if the bunching wasn't extreme, and just smoothed it out with one of those lil bluedrivers. Those things are virtually useless for actually driving screws, but very useful for those tasks that need a small pointy tool. :D

Andria

Reactions: Bronze

AndriaD

Reviewer / Blogger
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Jan 24, 2014
LawrencevilleGA

AndriaD

Reviewer / Blogger
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Jan 24, 2014
LawrencevilleGA
@andria how long is shipping from FiF?

I think it was around 2 wks.. and that was when those silly longshoremen were on strike on the west coast, so it might be less. :D

Nevermind their stupid strike... WHERE'S MAH VAPEMAIL?!???! ;)

Andria

Reactions: MsLoud

MostlySunny

Vaping Master
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Sep 17, 2012
Arizona
Nice score Andria! The authentic will have additional graving on the base, mine says "to my friend". Here's a pic of the bottoms. The real one is on the left. The differences are subtle. The threading on my real one is smoother and the edges of the tank are rounded not sharp.
image.jpeg

Reactions: retic1959
Status
Not open for further replies.

Users who are viewing this thread