Bronze

ECF Guru
Supporting Member
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Aug 19, 2012
Already wet, so this is the best I can do without making a mess:

Y0ayrjW.jpg

The flavor seems muted compared to my Kabuki running nautilus coils. Or maybe it just SEEMS stronger because the Nautilus coils may be starting to gunk up a bit, so I am mistaking the "bitter well used nautilus coil" taste for flavor.

Oddly, the little box thingy showed about 1.25 ohms, and the Provari shows 1.5. Raising the voltage from 3.5 to 3.7 helped some, maybe I should try raising a bit more. Thank goodness I'm on a nice regulated mod, I can't imagine being a newbie and playing around with this stuff on a mech.

edit: Oh wow!!! Took it up to 4 volts, an ENTIRELY different vape. Warmer, more flavorful, better (but not too much) throat hit. Totally night and day!
The flavor intensifies the lower your juice level gets.

Reactions: StealthyTX

StealthyTX

Hates brass
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Feb 13, 2012
Austin, TX
The flavor intensifies the lower your juice level gets.

Lowering the coils should improve flavor.

I'll try both, as right now the flavor seems better on my Kabuki with Nautilus coils (I put in a new coil just to level the playing field).

Woofer

Vaping Master
ECF Veteran
Oct 8, 2014
PA, SK, CA
I'll try both, as right now the flavor seems better on my Kabuki with Nautilus coils (I put in a new coil just to level the playing field).

I think the Prometey should be at least as good as a Kabuki. I don't have a Kabuki and likely never will. HoH does not ship international so here is a raspberry for them. o_O

Anyway the rules of thumb is;
Higher coil - More TH less flavor.
Lower coil - Less TH more flavor.

FWIW I coil mine with a 28 AWG 2.25 mm coil, ~7 wraps spaced for 1.2 ohms and wicked with rayon. :smokie:

AndriaD

Reviewer / Blogger
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Jan 24, 2014
LawrencevilleGA
angryvaper.crypticsites.com
Anyone heard anything new on the Achilles 2/Yeahsmo front?

I have the most distressing situation here. I got an iPV Mini for xmas, and the 510 threads have never seemed really smooth; now, the Achilles I use most often, apparently from having it in the iPV Mini, will not screw into my favorite CoolFire 4, the red one that I use the most. I got the other Achilles to screw into that red CF4, so I don't think the threads on the CF4 are damaged (I think they're stainless?), but apparently the threads on my favorite Achilles are damaged now.

Needless to say, my eagerness for a new Achilles of SOME description just got GREATLY! enhanced. As weak as the euro is right now, I swear to god, if I had $92 I could part with, I'd order an authentic.

Andria

Reactions: Bronze

PoliticallyIncorrect

Vaping Master
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Jul 31, 2010
SoCal
Anyone heard anything new on the Achilles 2/Yeahsmo front?

I have the most distressing situation here. I got an iPV Mini for xmas, and the 510 threads have never seemed really smooth; now, the Achilles I use most often, apparently from having it in the iPV Mini, will not screw into my favorite CoolFire 4, the red one that I use the most. I got the other Achilles to screw into that red CF4, so I don't think the threads on the CF4 are damaged (I think they're stainless?), but apparently the threads on my favorite Achilles are damaged now.

Needless to say, my eagerness for a new Achilles of SOME description just got GREATLY! enhanced. As weak as the euro is right now, I swear to god, if I had $92 I could part with, I'd order an authentic.

Andria
Every now and then I check out Frog in Fog and Bonanza looking for clones but haven't seen or heard a peep, not even after browsing a few Google pages.

As to your mangled threads issue, this won't be an answer you're going to want to hear but the 510 thread size is 7mm X .5; running your damaged Achilles connector through one of these might—I repeat, might—make the cooperate again: 7mm x .5 die | eBay

Reactions: Woofer

AndriaD

Reviewer / Blogger
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Jan 24, 2014
LawrencevilleGA
Every now and then I check out Frog in Fog and Bonanza looking for clones but haven't seen or heard a peep, not even after browsing a few Google pages.

As to your mangled threads issue, this won't be an answer you're going to want to hear but the 510 thread size is 7mm X .5; running your damaged Achilles connector through one of these might—I repeat, might—make the cooperate again: 7mm x .5 die | eBay

Hmm, it's not totally out of the question; my husband is very handy, and a bit of a tool geek, but I am quite tool-ignorant -- how exactly would that die be used? like on a drill or something? Really clueless, but if there is a way to fix my favorite Achilles that doesn't cost an arm and leg, I'm definitely interested, and those dies aren't very expensive.

This morning I just put the favorite on my other custom-etched CF4, the pink one, so the threads still work *somewhat*, they're not totally ruined.. they just won't screw into my favorite red CF4 anymore. I've put a 510/ego adapter and thread cover on the iPV mini, so I don't mess up the Achilles even worse, or any other atty I might decide to put on the iPV Mini.

The other Achilles, nothing really wrong with it, but the draw is a bit more open; I had put the whistle-screw back in, but that gives it the whistling/burbling kind of feel, which I dislike even more than a too-airy vape, so I'll probably just take that screw back out and deal with the airier draw -- it will help me stay accustomed to the magma's draw, which is a good deal airier than any Achilles. Just got a new black Magma which looks spiffy on my kbox mini, so I have a good motivation to stay tolerant of a slightly airier vape. :)

Andria

Bronze

ECF Guru
Supporting Member
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Aug 19, 2012
Hmm, it's not totally out of the question; my husband is very handy, and a bit of a tool geek, but I am quite tool-ignorant -- how exactly would that die be used? like on a drill or something? Really clueless, but if there is a way to fix my favorite Achilles that doesn't cost an arm and leg, I'm definitely interested, and those dies aren't very expensive.

This morning I just put the favorite on my other custom-etched CF4, the pink one, so the threads still work *somewhat*, they're not totally ruined.. they just won't screw into my favorite red CF4 anymore. I've put a 510/ego adapter and thread cover on the iPV mini, so I don't mess up the Achilles even worse, or any other atty I might decide to put on the iPV Mini.

The other Achilles, nothing really wrong with it, but the draw is a bit more open; I had put the whistle-screw back in, but that gives it the whistling/burbling kind of feel, which I dislike even more than a too-airy vape, so I'll probably just take that screw back out and deal with the airier draw -- it will help me stay accustomed to the magma's draw, which is a good deal airier than any Achilles. Just got a new black Magma which looks spiffy on my kbox mini, so I have a good motivation to stay tolerant of a slightly airier vape. :)

Andria
I bought one off e-bay several years ago. The $7 ones are just fine for what you use it for. For the little 510 threads we have you don't need any special tools. I can hand screw it without much trouble. The key to using a die is to take your time and be sure it is square to the atty as you screw it down. It cuts metal so you want everything to be squared up. You can go over it a few times. If your husband is handy then he'll understand the concept. There's a better than level chance you can revive your Achilles but without seeing it I cannot know for certain.

Reactions: AndriaD

PoliticallyIncorrect

Vaping Master
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Jul 31, 2010
SoCal
That's excellent advice. I wonder, do they make such a thing in a male version? I'd love to really fix the threads on my iPV Mini; totally love that mod, but not if it's gonna screw up all my attys' threads.

Andria
You mean like this? 7mm x .5 tap | eBay

Reactions: Woofer

AndriaD

Reviewer / Blogger
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Jan 24, 2014
LawrencevilleGA
Thx y'all!!! :wub:

Andria

ETA: Just before I woke up this morning, I was dreaming about this problem -- I';m so distressed about not being able to put my favorite Achilles on my favorite CF4 -- and in the dream, someone said, oh yes, you're in luck, and gave me a link to a new clone of the Achilles 2.... so I'm sad that that didn't turn out to be true, but really grateful for the links to those tools that will help me fix the problem! thx!

Last edited:

PoliticallyIncorrect

Vaping Master
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Jul 31, 2010
SoCal
Thx y'all!!! :wub:

Andria

ETA: Just before I woke up this morning, I was dreaming about this problem -- I';m so distressed about not being able to put my favorite Achilles on my favorite CF4 -- and in the dream, someone said, oh yes, you're in luck, and gave me a link to a new clone of the Achilles 2.... so I'm sad that that didn't turn out to be true, but really grateful for the links to those tools that will help me fix the problem! thx!
You have somewhat odd taste in dream subject matter, but let us know how the repairs turn out ;)

AndriaD

Reviewer / Blogger
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Jan 24, 2014
LawrencevilleGA
You have somewhat odd taste in dream subject matter, but let us know how the repairs turn out ;)

Well, it beats the heck out of dreaming about smoking. :D I really was hoping someone had heard something about new Achilles 2 clones. :D

Andria

Woofer

Vaping Master
ECF Veteran
Oct 8, 2014
PA, SK, CA
Well, it beats the heck out of dreaming about smoking. :D I really was hoping someone had heard something about new Achilles 2 clones. :D

Andria

It appears to be out.
Perhaps we need to request a vape shop carries them, seems to be many interested in acquiring an Achilles clone.
Any shops responsive to this?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users who are viewing this thread