Acrylic Tube 3.7V Mod Guide

Status
Not open for further replies.

spraintz

ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Jan 18, 2010
Dallas, TX
I see few 18650 posts here. I dont know if this is isolated to just me but... the 18650 did not fit my blue lightning.

these are bits of info from item descriptions on the site:

Blue Lightning tube:

There is enough room in the cap area for a small regulator and the tube will support one 14500 battery or two 14250's or 2 15270's (3 volt for a 6 volt mod or 3.7 volt, regulated down to 5 volts) A 14650 may also just fit but hasn;t been done yet. With two 3.7 volt batteries you'd need a regulator to bring the voltage down to 5 volts.

Goldrush tube:

There is enough room in the cap area for a small regulator and the tube will support one 18650 battery or two 18350's. With 18350's you'd need a regulator to bring the voltage down to 5 volts. You could also install two 16340 3 volt batteries for a 6 volt mod without the need for a regulator. There are a lot of possibilities.
------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

This leads me to believe that the Blue and the Goldrush are 2 different lengths/sizes.

Can this be verified? Doesn't matter to me really but just in case it will help others decide :)

oh yeah, when are they gonna be in stock again??? wink wink nudge nudge...:)

spraintz

ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Jan 18, 2010
Dallas, TX
I don't have the goldrush tube just the blue lightening. It is big enough to hold the 14650 although I didn't feel like messing around to try to make a plus end for it. It was easier to do it with the 14500 instead. I know the gold tube is bigger in diameter and I think length.

Lucky dog....I mean cat...;) I just wish I had either as I am sad that I didn't even notice these existed......

bsoplinger

Vaping Master
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Apr 13, 2010
Capitol District New York
I originally thought about doing 5 volt but there isn't much room inside the blue tube.

The tube is setup for a 14500 although I think a 14650 might fit. About the only way to do a 5V mod would be to do 2x15270. They're only a nominal 600mah so the pair at 5V wouldn't last too long. There isn't enough room diameter-wise for a 16340 so the more readily available 2x16340 setup for 5V wouldn't work in the blue tube.

The walls of the tube are rather thick, about as much as the lens of a 3mm LED. It'd be a PIA to physically mount the LED but not a problem electrically as there is enough room to fit it. I was thinking of adding a bright blue-white LED inside the tube without a hole through just to see how visible it would be through the walls of the tube.

what the hell

ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Aug 1, 2010
NJ
About the only way to do a 5V mod would be to do 2x15270. They're only a nominal 600mah so the pair at 5V wouldn't last too long. There isn't enough room diameter-wise for a 16340 so the more readily available 2x16340 setup for 5V wouldn't work in the blue tube.

The walls of the tube are rather thick, about as much as the lens of a 3mm LED. It'd be a PIA to physically mount the LED but not a problem electrically as there is enough room to fit it. I was thinking of adding a bright blue-white LED inside the tube without a hole through just to see how visible it would be through the walls of the tube.

Thats the other reason I didn't do 5 volt. I bought the batteries and regulator, but after getting the tube it would have too tight to do 5 volt and with the low MAH I figured 3.7 volt would be better.

As far as the LED.... It was no problem to mount it. I drilled a hole and mounted it opposite the switch. The tip of the LED barely sticks out. It's held in place by soldering the negative lead to the copper strip. Even with the just tip sticking out (Acts like a flashlight) the inside of the tube glows.

jctennis

ECF Veteran
I have to find someone who can build a 5v blue tube for me.Im on the waiting list but I dont think I can build it myself.Can it be 5v and have a blue LED?

I love this thing its so pretty:blush:
Your best bet would be low resistance attys/cartos and a 3.7 volt in this case.honestly the build should be very easy. I would offer to walk you through it, but I don't have one to use as a reference. Rambosmurfs tutorial http://www.madvapes.com/assets/images/blue_lightning_mod.pdf should help you out a lot.

Rambosmurf

ECF Veteran
Feb 6, 2010
Hudson Valley, NY
Just a wild guess, as I will not attempt it, but it will be very tight in there for 5V plus it has the grounding strap hanging out. Open for a good possibility of shorting somewhere.
Now that I have been using it, I still really like it. No scratches like other mods and no resistors or regulators to tone down the voltage. I have had no accidental "wow, that was hot" while carrying it in my pocket. For me it has been well worth it.

hoogie76

Unregistered Supplier
ECF Veteran
Aug 1, 2009
Charlotte, NC
The first prototype we did was 5 volts using this chip LDO 5 volt, 3.0 amp regulator with control pin! it's a bit tight and we used epoxy for an insulator. during each step of the process.. Hardest part was fitting the wires under the center cap but it does fit and works great. With the motorola chip you can run dual voltage.

hoog

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users who are viewing this thread