Status
Not open for further replies.

DeadbeatJeff

Unregistered Supplier
ECF Veteran
Mar 6, 2014
Rochester, NY
store.coilsociety.com
So, right about when I really got into DIY I also moved away from super sub ohm, and RDAs for the most part. So, all my flavors are made to taste right in a kayfun @ around 0.7ohm.

I just picked up a new mod and was throwing some of them in the dripper, and the flavors are just not right - too strong or otherwise unbalanced.

And I was wondering if there's maybe a rule-of-thumb for dialing down flavors for sub ohm. Is there a pattern to which flavors will express more strongly? Seems that vanilla really gets a boost relative to tart flavors (e.g. in the sub ohm my Strawberries with Vanilla Cream just tastes like really sweet vanilla... whereas in the KF strawberry is dominant), but what about others?

dannyv45

ECF DIY E-Liquid Guru
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Apr 12, 2013
New Jersey
www.e-cigarette-forum.com
As no one has answered I'll give it a stab. Let me start by saying that I only subohmed for a very short time and found that such hot coils always gave me a burn taste so I stopped subohming and elected for microcoil in the 1.2 - 1.8 range as well as standard wraps for my kayfun. Now all can really give you is what Ive read and have no practical experience with any of this.

Now I've read that tobaccos are effected the worst with subohm giving a very strong flavor and a burnt flavor and people have dialed back there flavors as much as half. Some have also elected to add a voltage regulator module to there mechmod such as a kick module

$8.37 Variable Voltage Kick Module for Mechanical Mod - 3.2V-4.8V at FastTech - Worldwide Free Shipping

To lower the voltage to compensate for the over flavor or burning taste but in my mind that kinda defeats the purpose of a mod in the first place and would just go for a VB instead. Others have stayed at the higher end of subohm (.07 - .09) to try to minimize flavor differences. My bag is tobaccos but I would imagine this holds true for any flavor.

Other then that you really need to decide what hardware your going to stay with and start over re-formulating your mixes for that hardware.

Hope that helps.

Last edited:

DeadbeatJeff

Unregistered Supplier
ECF Veteran
Mar 6, 2014
Rochester, NY
store.coilsociety.com
Oh yeah, for sure... the very low end of RDA builds are NOT for tobacco flavors. Especially my NET juices are just like razorblades at that heat/power.

Thus far the flavors I'm getting moving back to the low RDAs are not bad; they're just wrong. Like carefully crafted and nuanced blends... and only the undertones are popping.

I suppose the real question, aside from using less flavor generally, is: Which sorts of flavors get a boost from very high power builds, and which tend to get a little muted? Seems that the ratios need adjusting.

Wingsfan0310

Ultra Member
ECF Veteran
Oct 2, 2013
Flat Rock, MI, USA
I've only sub ohm'd minimally myself. Like Danny, I found the vape too hot and it made my flavors taste harsh/burnt. I've never understood why people are into it after my experience with it. I'm guessing it's to get bigger clouds (just a guess). I never cared about cloud size, I'm all about the taste, plus not a fan of really hot vape.

My suggestion would be instead of trying to adjust all your recipes, maybe just adjust the resistance of your coils, upward. Just my :2c: .

Cheers,
Steve

Last edited:

DeadbeatJeff

Unregistered Supplier
ECF Veteran
Mar 6, 2014
Rochester, NY
store.coilsociety.com
Looking back, I think one of the main reasons I moved away from super-sub ohm builds was that my 18650 mods (Copper Nemie, Brass Stingray, clones) just weren't cutting it.

The new 26650 is just a joy to vape really low though, and although I can't rationalize it the vape is MUCH better than the same build on the other mods-- not just harder or more vapor, but also smoother and more full -- so I'd really like to bring some of my better flavors over to the 0.2-0.3ohm RDA and still have them pop properly.

Last edited:

DeadbeatJeff

Unregistered Supplier
ECF Veteran
Mar 6, 2014
Rochester, NY
store.coilsociety.com
I've only sub ohm'd minimally myself. Like Danny, I found the vape too hot and it made my flavors taste burnt. I've never understood why people are into it after my experience with it. I'm guessing it's to get bigger clouds (just a guess). I never cared about cloud size, I'm all about the taste, plus not a fan of really hot vape.

My suggestion would be instead of trying to adjust all your recipes, maybe just adjust the resistance of your coils, upward. Just my :2c: .

Cheers,
Steve
Well, different setups for different uses, no?

Puffing the 18650 with the 0.7 twisted and braided Kayfun build is flavor country, and I feel like I'm puffing a cigar.

The big mod with the 0.3 dual twisted 28g... a different experience, and although less of an all-day thing, also very satisfying and awesome. Not getting burnt flavors, and I can't argue with the fullness and feel of it. I just wanna retain my high notes better. :D

DeadbeatJeff

Unregistered Supplier
ECF Veteran
Mar 6, 2014
Rochester, NY
store.coilsociety.com
Some have also elected to add a voltage regulator module to there mechmod such as a kick module.

yeah... not into it

The whole reason I like mechs is that there is an organic relationship between the effective power and the resistance of the coil that, in my opinion, makes for a much more satisfying vape than a regulated device, any regulated device. I've been much happier with my vape since I moved from VV/VW to simply having several setups at different resistances - instead of adjusting the voltage I adjust the coil.

dannyv45

ECF DIY E-Liquid Guru
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Apr 12, 2013
New Jersey
www.e-cigarette-forum.com
So then for you it's just a matter of deciding where your going to stay hardware wise and experiment with your mixes until you find what works with your hardware. As I mentioned I can't be much help there as far as what flavors work better at what ohms but that shouldn't be to difficult to find out with some experimentation.

DeadbeatJeff

Unregistered Supplier
ECF Veteran
Mar 6, 2014
Rochester, NY
store.coilsociety.com
So then for you it's just a matter of deciding where your going to stay hardware wise and experiment with your mixes until you find what works with your hardware. As I mentioned I can't be much help there as far as what flavors work better at what ohms but that shouldn't be to difficult to find out with some experimentation.
well, yeah
:D

was just looking for some experienced info so I could short-cut the process

Crunktanium

ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Nov 2, 2013
Florida (east coast)
As a sub ohm fan and pure mechanical guy I can tell you it's normal for juice to taste a bit different at higher wattage. Some devices even at the exact same wattage will taste different. Some drippers aren't the best for flavor and some tanks can dull flavor too. You can't just compare the flavor of a Kayfun to everything else. I mix flavor to taste then I tweak in my rocket which is not quite as flavorful as Kayfun imho but pretty close.

I myself never enjoyed dripping all that much until I got a 26650 Stingray + matching v3 Tobh clone last week. Now I can't put it down and my other equipment might start collecting dust. The flavor is great but some juice as you yourself experienced are not the same they were in my tanks. I can't expect everything to taste the same and I'm not going to remake every recipe just for dripping. Instead I tried various already made mixes until I found the ones I actually enjoy dripping. And I never get a burnt taste (aside from coffee flavors) even as low as .4 although usually I vape .5-.8 depending on my mood.

My current favorite vape is Baked Cinnamon Roll from One Stop DIY @ 12% with 1% Sweetener. It's a very smooth vape, simple to make and tastes fabulous imho. I am usually vaping strawberry myself but right now I can't put this down. I am not big on tobaccos although I have dozens of tobacco flavorings. I so happened to add 6 drops of FA Tuscan Reserve to a 30ml bottle of my Baked Cinnamon Roll just to change it up and it's not to shabby.

DeadbeatJeff

Unregistered Supplier
ECF Veteran
Mar 6, 2014
Rochester, NY
store.coilsociety.com
I'm a bit confused.

My only sub-ohming is on a Dreadnaut at 0.4 dual with cotton.

I have not needed to adjust my recipes.

I do notice the slight peel taste in my White Peach is a slightly greater, but otherwise everything is really the same in taste.

I dunno, Hoosier, but I've only really tried a couple and the tart notes are just not popping at all. My strawberry w/ vanilla (TFA Ripe Strawberry, Vanilla Swirl, and Vanillin) turned into VANILLA.

Sent from my ADR6350 using Tapatalk 2

buffaloguy

Ultra Member
ECF Veteran
Feb 22, 2012
Buffalo NY
I dont go super sub ohm. I generally like my coils in the .7 thru 1.2ohm range. Most often I settle on .9. For some time now Ive switched to all mechs and rba's. I have kayfuns, cobras, dids, aga t2's, and fogger v3's. Ive never been much of a dripper unless its during my mixing and Im testing somethjng new on the fly and.for that I use bridgeless atties in the 3.2 ohm range.

I havent needed to adjust anything. Im heavy vg 80% or close to it. Coming from vv/vw devices you learn that different power levels will bring out different flavors in juice. On a mech as the battery power swings from full to spent, you will flow thru the whole range of nuances in a flavor. Its a different experience when its not at a constant voltage or wattage. Regulated devices do just that, regulate your experience to one constant level unless you choose to change it. With a mech, unless kicked, you dont have that option. My best advice is to figure out what the best ohms level for you is based on your juice and what it can handle without burning up on you and go from there. Start around 1ohm and drop down .1 ohm with the same setup till you figure it out.

Now theres alot to be said about su ohming being too hot, burning up juice, etc. What I generally found is that equates to user/build error of coils, wicks, or both and usually not the juices fault. Not enough wicking material, raw coil and hot spots. Loose coils on mesh or silica, same thing. Not enough cotton, ditto. Really inspect your build if you are burning out. The key is usually there, or in the case of an rda... not enough juice on a wick could be a culprit too.

Maybe none of the above helps, I dunno. Im more thinking out loud from my own experiences. Mechs and sub ohming take alot of time to get right. And even when you do Murphy's Law sometimes reminds you that you, and all your knowledge, are not the boss... lol.

2naphish

Ultra Member
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Dec 24, 2013
the boro, Tennessee
i was thinking of asking the same question about the flavor issue but you beat me to it. i have recently been tasting what i can only describe as a coil taste in my .5 - .65 builds and i am starting to adjust my DIY to try and solve the problem.

i did have a small sucess last weekend by taking my normal liquid and cutting it about 25% with unflavored VG with 1 drop of TFA sweetener per 10 mil VG. since that seemed to work i am going to be mixing in the morning. going to drop this batch's flavor by 3% and add the sweetener to appropriate flavors (vanilla/custards) i also found honey flavor to be about the same regardless of my OHMS. hopefully this thread will remain alive and we can all find out what everyone else is doing. best of luck. <*}}}>{

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users who are viewing this thread