Status
Not open for further replies.

Eskie

ECF Guru
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
May 6, 2016
NY
Nothing personal, but I"ll downvote that idea big time.

If I wanted to post on Reddit, I would. Downvoting creates a hostile environment and my real life environment is bad enough, let alone to voluntarily come here and deal with it. If a person posts inaccurate information, members are quite fast at pointing out the problem and hopefully offering a correct solution. All a downvote tells you is someone doesn't like the post, not that the info is wrong. I'd rather keep things intact and force a person who disagrees with a post, whether valid or not, to have to justify that by actually writing what they believe is correct. They could be totally wrong and have no idea what they're talking qabout, but looking at a downvote won't tell you that. A downvote in isolation offers the same validity from a knowledgeable member to a brand new member.

Cf11

ECF Veteran
Apr 22, 2017

If I wanted to post on Reddit, I would. Downvoting creates a hostile environment and my real life environment is bad enough, let alone to voluntarily come here and deal with it. If a person posts inaccurate information, members are quite fast at pointing out the problem and hopefully offering a correct solution. All a downvote tells you is someone doesn't like the post, not that the info is wrong. I'd rather keep things intact and force a person who disagrees with a post, whether valid or not, to have to justify that by actually writing what they believe is correct. They could be totally wrong and have no idea what they're talking qabout, but looking at a downvote won't tell you that. A downvote in isolation offers the same validity from a knowledgeable member to a brand new member.

I see what you're saying and it does make sense. I did think about it and in hindsight maybe it was a bad decision to have posted something like this.

But don't you think it'd be so much better and easier to not have all those "bad advice" posts in a thread? If users could find exactly what they were looking for without having to read a 100 spam messages first?
I mean yes it would create a hostile environment, maybe my idea is wrong but if this could be implemented in some other way that'll lead to a "cleaner" and more readable thread, won't it be so much better?

ppeeble

Ultra Member
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Jan 9, 2013
Poole UK
I would hate to see a down vote option. Too much temptation for idiots and bullies (and drunk people).
If a post is innacurate it's not that hard to respond with better information. The ability to communicate effectively is what differentiates humans from animals after all. Heck, even a tortoise can click a down vote button.

Cf11

ECF Veteran
Apr 22, 2017
Actually guys, you're right.
It is a bad idea. I realise it now.
I would certainly feel bad if there was a dislike button and i was getting a lot of dislikes for this.
I see what you mean @Eskie and @ppeeble .
I'll delete the thread(well i don't know how to delete it) in a way.
Sorry for this.
Thanks for making me realise. :)
Cheers guys.

Reactions: Innova

Eskie

ECF Guru
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
May 6, 2016
NY
Actually guys, you're right.
It is a bad idea. I realise it now.
I would certainly feel bad if there was a dislike button and i was getting a lot of dislikes for this.
I see what you mean @Eskie and @ppeeble .
I'll delete the thread(well i don't know how to delete it) in a way.
Sorry for this.
Thanks for making me realise. :)
Cheers guys.

TBH, I think leaving it is not a bad idea, as it does raise the issue of how do we communicate accurate information, particularly to new vapers, and the odds are high this method will be mentioned again. You raise a really good point, and we need to think about that, and leave the downvote on Reddit where it thrives and flourishes. No reason to deprive them of their fun.

Cf11

ECF Veteran
Apr 22, 2017
TBH, I think leaving it is not a bad idea, as it does raise the issue of how do we communicate accurate information, particularly to new vapers, and the odds are high this method will be mentioned again. You raise a really good point, and we need to think about that, and leave the downvote on Reddit where it thrives and flourishes. No reason to deprive them of their fun.
Too late buddy. Two posts made me realize that you were on point with your first post.
I don't want hate from ecf when i have crap to deal with in real life.

Someone who is much smarter than me might someday come up with a way to deal with this situation but i don't think leaving this post would do anything except attract more people to just "dislike" my idea(which i agree was bad.).
Ecf has been running really well for the past 10 years or so and I'm sure it will thrive till the time we have members like yourself who are always helping newbies inspite of all the "bad advice" posts.
And as ppeeble mentioned... There's too much temptation for internet bullies then. And I'd never want such a thing.

Again. Sorry to have brought it up.

WillieB69

Ultra Member
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Aug 4, 2010
Mt. Pleasant, Iowa
I was on a musician's forum at one time that allowed members to give each other red or green "pips" depending on how well they liked or disliked your posts. Too many red pips got you banned for a period of time from the forum. I went on vacation for two weeks. When I came home, I found out the rest of the forum "pip banned" me with 10,000 red pips as a joke. It wasn't funny.

Kprthevapr

Vaping Master
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Jan 1, 2015
On the River, GA
I was on a musician's forum at one time that allowed members to give each other red or green "pips" depending on how well they liked or disliked your posts. Too many red pips got you banned for a period of time from the forum. I went on vacation for two weeks. When I came home, I found out the rest of the forum "pip banned" me with 10,000 red pips as a joke. It wasn't funny.
Green was good Karma back in the day!
Red was bad, and was usually used mostly to identify trolls, or at least that's how we had our site set up :)

Imfallen_Angel

Ultra Member
ECF Veteran
Apr 10, 2016
Ottawa area, Canada

pip

:D

Reactions: Tonee N

Imfallen_Angel

Ultra Member
ECF Veteran
Apr 10, 2016
Ottawa area, Canada

Agreed, but the trouble is that some of these bad members will argue, re-say the same thing over and over thinking that repeating it a hundred times will make it true.

You know the "arguments" that I got/get into whenever someone starts something that I know is absolutely wrong, not an opinion, but they are locked in their beliefs.

Provide proof and they still argue, move the goal posts, etc.

Some threads are/get so bad that I simply don't even go in or I'll leave and contact the OP directly...

The members on my ignore list tend to side together to the point of sometimes it seems like they IM each other to go in some threads and harass the heck out of someone.

But the fact is, when they start arguing about things like battery safety, they are putting people at risk, and that's just wrong.

Reporting them changes nothing while people having clean fun get their post deleted and threatened with bans.

Heck, lately, I've seen some members actually state that they never used/did something and still instead of just learning from the other posts and members that do have proper information, they start posting with irrelevant posts, bad/incorrect information as if they think they're doing something else than just confusing the OP.

So it's a rough call at times...

I know that if I miss something and someone catches it, I'm quite happy about it, so that I can fix my typo/mistake or at least, know that the correct info is there... and I do the same. Completely respectful and for the last week or so, this place have been much better (heck I was taking a break for a few days as I was getting to the point of banging my head on my desk because of this sort of thing (topic)), but some people have an instant meltdown if you dare correct them, or inform them of better info.

Last edited:

WillieB69

Ultra Member
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Aug 4, 2010
Mt. Pleasant, Iowa

WillieB69 Dislikes this.

dislike.jpg

:D :D

Tonee N

Vaping Master
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Mar 24, 2017
Nevada
Agreed, but the trouble is that some of these bad members will argue, re-say the same thing over and over thinking that repeating it a hundred times will make it true.

You know the "arguments" that I got/get into whenever someone starts something that I know is absolutely wrong, not an opinion, but they are locked in their beliefs.

Provide proof and they still argue, move the goal posts, etc.

Some threads are/get so bad that I simply don't even go in or I'll leave and contact the OP directly...

The members on my ignore list tend to side together to the point of sometimes it seems like they IM each other to go in some threads and harass the heck out of someone.

But the fact is, when they start arguing about things like battery safety, they are putting people at risk, and that's just wrong.

Reporting them changes nothing while people having clean fun get their post deleted and threatened with bans.

Heck, lately, I've seen some members actually state that they never used/did something and still instead of just learning from the other posts and members that do have proper information, they start posting with irrelevant posts, bad/incorrect information as if they think they're doing something else than just confusing the OP.

So it's a rough call at times...

I know that if I miss something and someone catches it, I'm quite happy about it, so that I can fix my typo/mistake or at least, know that the correct info is there... and I do the same. Completely respectful and for the last week or so, this place have been much better (heck I was taking a break for a few days as I was getting to the point of banging my head on my desk because of this sort of thing (topic)), but some people have an instant meltdown if you dare correct them, or inform them of better info.
If I make a mistake and I am corrected I see it as a gain for me. If you are correct, know you are correct then please back it up. We all have questions and need the best answers possible. There never needs to be a conflict between who is right/wrong but a collaboration of all views that come to the same correct answer that the vaped needs.
If you walk into a room and ask a question but everyone starts yelling at each other it's a bad vibe which is going to be more detrimental than helpful.

Or I'm just an old kook.[emoji6]

Sent from tomorrow

Imfallen_Angel

Ultra Member
ECF Veteran
Apr 10, 2016
Ottawa area, Canada
If I make a mistake an error and it is corrected I am corrected I see envision it as a gain positive for me. If you are a person is correct, know you are they should ensure that they are correct then provide information to assist you please back it up. We are inquisitive all have questions and grown our knowledge base from informative resources and correct answers need the best answers possible. There never needs to be a full on mud pie swinging contest conflict between who is right/wrong and the one that should go cry in a corner but a purchase of fifteen kangaroos collaboration of all views that come to the same correct assumptions that the koala get all the attention answer that the vaped needs.
If you walk into a wall room and ask a question for the answer to life but everyone starts dancing with yelling at each other it's a bad when a song with a vibe which is going to be more detrimental than helpful to the ambience.

Or I'm just an old kook.[emoji6]

Sent from tomorrow

I completely agree!

:D:D:D:D:D

Last edited:

Robino1

Resting in Peace
ECF Veteran
Sep 7, 2012
Treasure Coast, Florida
Closed thread per OP's request on his changed first post.

Didn't think just deleting it would be a good choice.

Down Votes or Dislike buttons will probably never happen here. Too much temptation for major disruptions on the forum.

Thank you all for talking sense :wub:

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users who are viewing this thread