Status
Not open for further replies.

Jingles

Ultra Member
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Jul 18, 2011
Ohio
I admit that I have an old computer. I am running Windows XP, so yes, it is old. We do have high speed internet though. For the last couple of days, I have been getting a warning on the top of every page that I need to update my Adobe Flash Player. It's in a big yellow annoying box. I tried following the link to update it, but couldn't figure it out. I am not even sure if I still have Adobe Flash on my computer. I just want to read threads here like I always have without this annoying warning popping up every time I change pages. I may need to get my daughters boyfriend to look at my computer and see if he can figure it out. Anyone else experiencing this? If ECF can make this warning go away on their end, I would greatly appreciate it! Thanks!

Reactions: Letitia

Nermal

Ultra Member
ECF Veteran
Jun 8, 2013
Farmington, NM USA
I consider those popup Flash links to be potential malware. Sometimes, TrendMicro warns me, and sometimes not. I never click them. If you want Flash, I suggest going to the Adobe site.

Vaguely related, I often look in on Yahoo news links. Fairly often, I am redirected to other sites. I back out immediately - unless the av software locks it anyway.

retired1

Administrator
Admin
Supporting Member
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Apr 5, 2013
Texas
The warning is coming from your browser. Make sure that you're still not trying to run the plugin.

As an aside, pretty much all the browsers have killed the flash plugin (Chrome uses it's own "version"). Only Firefox ESR still supports Flash.

Oh, and running XP and accessing the Internet is just asking for trouble.

Jingles

Ultra Member
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Jul 18, 2011
Ohio
The warning is coming from your browser. Make sure that you're still not trying to run the plugin.

As an aside, pretty much all the browsers have killed the flash plugin (Chrome uses it's own "version"). Only Firefox ESR still supports Flash.

I do use Chrome. I know it is no longer being updated for XP. If it’s my browser, why am I only seeing that warning on this site? Not trying to be argumentative. Just trying to understand. I am booting up my desk top now. First thing I will do is run a scan.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Reactions: Uncle

Uncle

Resting In Peace
Supporting Member
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Jun 15, 2011
Anyone else experiencing this?

Yes - Having the exact same problem/s (New ECF Theme!). I also use XP Pro v3 & Chrome ("forced" to since last upgrade here on ECF and was told using IE was asking for trouble - more about that later) . . . In the last 24 hours I have upgraded/reinstalled Adobe Flash Player, Uninstalled these programs using "Revo Uninstaller" and wiped registry of any possible leftover links. Still been experiencing the same problem.

So taking the "Bull" by the horns - realized most of this started happening when the call went out in the site wide banner at the top of ECF to remove Ad blockers because "The costs of running this huge site are paid for by ads" (Which has since been removed) . . . So I removed the 2 Ad blockers I was using - "UBlock" (to block all the annoying superficial floating message boxes, including the "Green Arrow" in the new theme) & "UBlock Ad Blocker". Then did a maintenance - Used "CCleaner". Rebooted computer. Resigned in to ECF . . . LOW & Behold No "Adobe Flash Player" blocked notification. However, numerous ADS all over ECF and those annoying floating boxes too on every single thread.:mad: :evil: :-x

I don't know which was worse . . . SO - I reinstalled the "UBlock Plus Adblocker" Chrome extension.

Bet Ya' can't guess what happened . . . ;)

YEP - All the ECF ADS and the annoying floating boxes disappeared and the yellow "Adobe Flash Player" Blocked notice came back (Yet - There is NO Adobe Flash Player installed on my laptop) . . .:censored: :censored: :censored:

Now - I don't know what to suggest to "You" . . . It all depends on which Ya' find more annoying - the "Yellow Adobe Flash Player Blocked" notice or all the ECF ADS and floating boxes . . . "Me" I'll just deal with the Yellow Banner for now and block all the other more major Annoying "STUFF" . . . Just Sayin' . . . ;)

I hope this information is helpful to "You" and ECF Administration (maybe they will fix this :facepalm: ) . . . :D

BTW: I really do not understand when there is a problem like this the "bottom-line" is that our OS and Browsers are at fault and "We" NEED to upgrade everything we own/use (same type of problems happened the last time ECF changed the interface too) . . . Yes - The laptop I use is over 10 years old and I still use XP Pro (IMO - Best OS so far from MS) . . . However, it cost over $3K when it was purchased new and the programs I use are all updated too . . . More importantly, some of us cannot afford to upgrade to bigger better electronic equipment / costly programs (which sometimes is absolutely no better and more of a hassle then what "We" are using - i.e., WIN 8/10 Etc.) like some people . . . If "We" could afford to upgrade equipment or programs don't Ya' think we would have by now . . . Just Sayin' . . . o_O

Last edited:

Jingles

Ultra Member
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Jul 18, 2011
Ohio
Thank you Uncle! At least I know I am not alone with this problem. I think I will just deal with the yellow banner for now. I did run a scan first thing this morning and it came back clean. I am hanging onto XP because I have a home based business that is running an old program that has all my customer information in it. I don't want to transfer all that info (1600 customers), to a new program that is reported not to work as well as my old program. So, I feel stuck with XP until I retire from my business.

sonicdsl

Wandering life's highway
Supporting Member
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Aug 11, 2011
BTW: I really do not understand when there is a problem like this the "bottom-line" is that our OS and Browsers are at fault and "We" NEED to upgrade everything we own/use (same type of problems happened the last time ECF changed the interface too) . . . Yes - The laptop I use is over 10 years old and I still use XP Pro (IMO - Best OS so far from MS) . . . However, it cost over $3K when it was purchased new and the programs I use are all updated too . . . More importantly, some of us cannot afford to upgrade to bigger better electronic equipment / costly programs (which sometimes is absolutely no better and more of a hassle then what "We" are using - i.e., WIN 8/10 Etc.) like some people . . . If "We" could afford to upgrade equipment or programs don't Ya' think we would have by now . . . Just Sayin' . . . o_O
Heya Uncle (and others, I'm sure)... The reason Retired advises against XP (AFAIK) is because it is no longer supported by Microsoft (as of 2014), and therefore doesn't get security updates like more recent versions of Windows. Therefore, the security threat is too risky to continue to use it, not so much because it might not react well to ECF or other sites (that's really a minor concern in comparison). :)

retired1

Administrator
Admin
Supporting Member
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Apr 5, 2013
Texas

Uncle

Resting In Peace
Supporting Member
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Jun 15, 2011
Thank you Uncle! At least I know I am not alone with this problem. I think I will just deal with the yellow banner for now. I did run a scan first thing this morning and it came back clean. I am hanging onto XP because I have a home based business that is running an old program that has all my customer information in it. I don't want to transfer all that info (1600 customers), to a new program that is reported not to work as well as my old program. So, I feel stuck with XP until I retire from my business.

I hear Ya' . . . Already "retired" and at a point in life that a new computer/programs would be really nice to have, however not something I NEED or can afford (have very limited budget) to get since the majority of time - all I am doing is personal "Stuff" anyway (email/business letters/ECF/search internet for info, etc. and as for security measures got that pretty much covered - I think . . . :facepalm: ) . . . Oh Well - That's life when Ya' get OLD - DO What Ya' Can With What Ya' Have When Ya' Can . . . ;) :lol: :lol: :lol:

NOW - On that note and Searching the Internet . . . Just found this information at the "AdBlock" website and their Help section "Knowledge Base" concerning . . .

AND - Although, I am NOT someone in IT - nor know's all that much about computer/programs - nor do I know if either of these list of work around's will help either one of us right now, it maybe worth giving some of the "troubleshooting" suggestions a try . . . Just Sayin' . . . ;)

BTW: Now if I can only find a free app to "Block" all these annoying ECF ADS & "floating info boxes" on an Android OS "Smartphone" without getting the same warning banner, since I use Chrome to view ECF (and No I will not download/use "TrapTalk" :eek:) . . . :mad: :-x

Last edited:

Rossum

Eleutheromaniac
Supporting Member
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Dec 14, 2013
SE PA
BTW: Now if I can only find a free app to "Block" all these annoying ECF ADS & "floating info boxes" on an Android OS "Smartphone" without getting the same warning banner, since I use Chrome to view ECF (and No I will not download/use "TrapTalk" :eek:) . . . :mad: :-x
Without Root access, it's quite difficult to do much ad-blocking on Android. Unless of course you do it in the browser itself, like this one does.

Jingles

Ultra Member
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Jul 18, 2011
Ohio
As of last night, the warning banner has disappeared! Very happy right now! I did not do anything to my computer to "fix" it. I did become a supporting member late last week and the ads immediately went away, but the yellow banner warning stayed until last night. I think Oliver's computer gurus have been fixing things in the background. It is much appreciated on my end!

Uncle

Resting In Peace
Supporting Member
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Jun 15, 2011
As of last night, the warning banner has disappeared! Very happy right now! I did not do anything to my computer to "fix" it. I did become a supporting member late last week and the ads immediately went away, but the yellow banner warning stayed until last night. I think Oliver's computer gurus have been fixing things in the background. It is much appreciated on my end!

DITTO ^ ^ ^ ^ ^ What They Said . . . :thumbs :thumbs: :thumbs:

Reactions: Jingles

Uncle

Resting In Peace
Supporting Member
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Jun 15, 2011
@Uncle, I miss my XP and cuss windows 10 daily

:thumbs:

:facepalm: Yea - the only other OS I've liked and didn't have a problem with, that everyone else seemed to have disliked ("hated"), was "MS - Millennium" . . . :facepalm:

Honestly though, when I was a little more computer "savvy" I always looked at and tried a number of OS (including Apple - not for "Me" :nah: ) . . . Matter of fact, I use to help a number of friends with their computer/laptops using MS Vista/7/8, but never wanted to change "My" operating system since I didn't really have a major problem with XP Pro for the past 14 years when I got this laptop (which was just before I became disabled/retired) . . . AND - Now, even having a Tablet ("Xoom" - talk about older models)/"Smartphone" (LG Stylo) which run Andriod "Google" OS, that really do not run any better then XP Pro - I see no reason too either . . . Just Sayin' . . . ;)

Last edited:

rob33

Ultra Member
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Dec 20, 2009
A World Traveler
:thumbs:

:facepalm: Yea - the only other OS I've liked and didn't have a problem with, that everyone else seemed to have disliked ("hated"), was "MS - Millennium" . . . :facepalm:

Honestly though, when I was a little more computer "savvy" I always looked at and tried a number of OS (including Apple - not for "Me" :nah: ) . . . Matter of fact, I use to help a number of friends with their computer/laptops using MS Vista/7/8, but never wanted to change "My" operating system since I didn't really have a major problem with XP Pro for the past 14 years when I got this laptop (which was just before I became disabled/retired) . . . AND - Now, even having a Tablet ("Xoom" - talk about older models)/"Smartphone" (LG Stylo) which run Andriod "Google" OS, that really do not run any better then XP Pro - I see no reason too either . . . Just Sayin' . . . ;)

One way to become the richest man in the world, sell software and not support it when you need to increase your profits. No respect for Gates's way of doing business. My next operating system will be a linux.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users who are viewing this thread