Not open for further replies.

Uncle

Resting In Peace
Supporting Member
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Jun 15, 2011
Not surprised - just very disappointed . . . :(

AND - Hopefully by then I will find someone who will be generous enough with their time to assist in getting this laptop set-up with a an operating system (other then MS 10 ) or a complete version of Linux that will work . . . Just Sayin' . . . ;)

Rossum

Eleutheromaniac
Supporting Member
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Dec 14, 2013
SE PA
One way to become the richest man in the world, sell software and not support it when you need to increase your profits. No respect for Gates's way of doing business. My next operating system will be a linux.
It isn't realistic to expect a company to support an old version of software forever.

• Agree
Reactions: retired1

retired1

Administrator
Admin
Supporting Member
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Apr 5, 2013
Texas
One way to become the richest man in the world, sell software and not support it when you need to increase your profits. No respect for Gates's way of doing business. My next operating system will be a linux.

Hate to burst your bubble, but Linux changes faster and more often than Windows versions do even if you're using a LTR version of whatever flavor you have installed. And prior versions that have reached EOL are not supported, just like Windows. Thinking you're going to be able to install Linux and then you won't have to worry about it any more is wishful thinking. I generally have updates being pushed to my machines on a daily basis. I also have to keep an eye on when the version I'm using approaches EOL as then I have to make a decision on whether to upgrade to the next version, or try another "flavor".

Microsoft's push to get everyone on Windows 10 makes sense for the company in that they won't be supporting several different versions of the OS when it comes to security updates. This is a win scenario for the consumer as updates will be pushed faster. Windows 10 is stable, it works well, and there are ways to set it to where it's not calling home to momma all the time.

rob33

Ultra Member
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Dec 20, 2009
A World Traveler
It isn't realistic to expect a company to support an old version of software forever.
So you are saying a PC and the files in them are a disposable product. When MS goes from XP to 8 you should have to trash a perfectly good piece of equipment. They could integrate the systems but where the profits in that. You can have your opinion but I know when I'm getting screwed

Rossum

Eleutheromaniac
Supporting Member
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Dec 14, 2013
SE PA
So you are saying a PC and the files in them are a disposable product. When MS goes from XP to 8 you should have to trash a perfectly good piece of equipment. They could integrate the systems but where the profits in that. You can have your opinion but I know when I'm getting screwed
No, I'm not.

Let's start with the most important part, the files. I have files going back 25+ years. It's trivial to transfer files from one system to the next.

Software: There's little to prevent you from whatever old software you have. But software makers do have to draw the line somewhere on what they continue to support with security updates, drivers, and so on. It is not economically feasible for them to do otherwise.

Windows XP was released in 2001. MS supported it with updates until 2014. That's 13 years. In the meanwhile, they released Windows Vista in 2006, Windows 7 in 2009, Windows 8 in 2012, and Windows 8.1 in 2013, all while continuing to support XP. So it's clearly wrong to imply that you have to "trash" old stuff as soon as a new version of Windows is released.

• Agree
Reactions: Hitcat44

retired1

Administrator
Admin
Supporting Member
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Apr 5, 2013
Texas

Operating systems have never, ever been load and forget. Never. You could get away with it in the "old DOS" days before the advent of AOL and the rudimentary start of the Internet, but once the Internet took off in the early 90s, there was no such thing as a "load and forget" machine that talked online. Even more so today, security is paramount and using a machine that no longer receives security updates is foolhardy and asking to have your personal information stolen.

As far back as 2011, Microsoft let it be known that XP was fast approaching EOL and users should start thinking about upgrading. That they extended security support into 2014 should have been a wake up call to upgrade to at least Windows 7 (which should have been easily accomplished on most XP machines).

Considering there were 2 OS versions between XP and Windows 8, users who flat refused to upgrade from XP are now pretty much screwed. Windows 7 will be supported to 2020, but pretty much any legitimate source to purchase that OS is gone now. Windows 10 is very stable, but the bargain basement PCs that ran XP will most likely struggle with Windows 10.

Claiming Linux will solve all that is also false. Outside a server environment, Linux versions change anywhere from every 6 months to every 1-2 years. Even Long Term Release versions tend to change every 1-2 years. And once a Linux version goes EOL, there are no security updates provided to the repositories.

While the PC may not be a disposable product, the Operating System must be maintained in order to provide proper security for your information. Again, there has never, ever been a load and forget OS. There will always be updates, and there will always be a newer version of the operating system to install if one wishes to remain secure on today's Internet. Otherwise you might as well disconnect and go back to using "sneaker net" (otherwise known as walking).

Evi|grin

Ultra Member
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Aug 21, 2013
Nonsense, you can still buy completely legal OEM Windows 7 from NewEgg and Tiger Direct. Im sure plenty of other places still sell legal copies of it too.

Hell you can still even buy it at Walmart. https://www.walmart.com/ip/OEM-Micr...-with-SP1-64-bit-Operating-System-PC/36009635

Win10 home requires you get all updates or none. Jumping through a bunch of hoops to only get the updates i want is a total crock. What a total joke of a O/S. You cant even turn off updates directly. You have to set your connection to metered. What a total bunch of BS!!!

Reactions: Rossum
Status
Not open for further replies.

Users who are viewing this thread