advice regarding cotton wicking

Status
Not open for further replies.

character

ECF Veteran
Mar 22, 2011
philippines
Good day all just like to ask if anyone got experience of using an unregulated type of mod and has to change the cotton almost everyday due to burned cotton even though the cotton is wet

I follow several tips already
1. vape should be done 20-30 sec rest after vaping( i use vg + water ) :) with custom flavor
2. follow steamengine for coil wrapping and diameter
3 I am using .9 ohms

i am using 40amp awt red for safety as well

edyle

ECF Guru
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Oct 23, 2013
Port-of-Spain, Trinidad & Tobago
Good day all just like to ask if anyone got experience of using an unregulated type of mod and has to change the cotton almost everyday due to burned cotton even though the cotton is wet

I follow several tips already
1. vape should be done 20-30 sec rest after vaping( i use vg + water ) :) with custom flavor
2. follow steamengine for coil wrapping and diameter
3 I am using .9 ohms

i am using 40amp awt red for safety as well

1: wire gauge is very important

I change cotton every 3 days or so; if I were not so lazy I suppose I would change it every day; then again, changing wick can distort the coil and lead to hotspots; thicker wire helps there, but then that drops ohms.

Sm0keydaBear

Aug 13, 2015
You know I'm just going to point this out, even though I've done it maybe a good handful of times already. If your coil has high ohms (like around 1 or more something like that,) and your coil heats up slowly and cools down slowly, you may be getting black gunk due to the firing of the device not being able to heat the coil quick enough. Some juice will get trapped in the wicking, turn black, then taste like garbage.

Reactions: Eric Auer

93gc40

Vaping Master
ECF Veteran
Oct 5, 2014
California
You know I'm just going to point this out, even though I've done it maybe a good handful of times already. If your coil has high ohms (like around 1 or more something like that,) and your coil heats up slowly and cools down slowly, you may be getting black gunk due to the firing of the device not being able to heat the coil quick enough. Some juice will get trapped in the wicking, turn black, then taste like garbage.

UH, it's not the high OHMs. It the High mass. As built and used most SUBohm coils have more MASS than most 1ohm or higher coils. But otherwise you are onto it. The slower your coil heats and cools the faster it will gunk and dirty the wick... Seems to me it's during the heat-up time and cool down time that most of the gunking is occuring.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users who are viewing this thread