Wicking with Natural Cotton

Status
Not open for further replies.

DaveP

PV Master & Musician
ECF Veteran
May 22, 2010
Central GA
So I gave it one more try last night with the natural cotton. Picked out the seeds and just tried to get the grain all going in one direction. Didn't comb it. It seemed to work fine.

Good quality cotton isn't a bad vape. It just gunks up faster than Rayon. I usually got 3 days on cotton. I rewick once a week with Rayon whether it needs it or not. Mostly, it's the coil that starts to crust over then and I have to rewick to clean the coil. I don't know how long Rayon would last if the coil could stay nice and clean.

It's a shame that we can't use Teflon coated coils.

stols001

Moved On
ECF Veteran
May 30, 2017
Someone (I forget who) said you could remove your atomizer and rinse rayon clean. I was kind of skeptical but decided to try it (don't use tap water but DW) and the rayon held up surprisingly well. IDK how MANY times you could do that, but it really lasted way longer (like over a week) than I thought it would. It took a bit of effort to get it clean and whatnot, and I didn't remove it from the coil.

I guess you could go for "Guinness book of longest rayon usage," although I found it in some ways easier to rewick and clean.

Still a Guinness award for "Most vaped wick," I mean, that's something, right? LOL.

Anna

DaveP

PV Master & Musician
ECF Veteran
May 22, 2010
Central GA
Someone (I forget who) said you could remove your atomizer and rinse rayon clean. I was kind of skeptical but decided to try it (don't use tap water but DW) and the rayon held up surprisingly well. IDK how MANY times you could do that, but it really lasted way longer (like over a week) than I thought it would. It took a bit of effort to get it clean and whatnot, and I didn't remove it from the coil.

I guess you could go for "Guinness book of longest rayon usage," although I found it in some ways easier to rewick and clean.

Still a Guinness award for "Most vaped wick," I mean, that's something, right? LOL.

Anna

I've thought about washing rayon wicks, but it's easier to install a new one. Every Rayon wick I remove just has a gray tint where it was under the coil. The rest is clean (I vape mostly unflavored juice or light shades of flavor). Very few of my juices are crud makers. I could wash and dry and recycle, but it's not really worth it. By the time I do that I can cut and install a new one.

I usually run a Rayon wick until it's time to dry burn and clean or replace the coil.

This chart is pretty interesting. It details the qualities and burn points of fibers. Cotton and Rayon are on there as well as most of the fibers we use in vaping.
Fabric Mart :: Burn Test Chart

I guess we've detoured this thread into a Rayon discussion. I'll back off and let people talk about cotton. :)

Ryedan

ECF Guru
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Mar 31, 2012
Ontario, Canada
Good quality cotton isn't a bad vape. It just gunks up faster than Rayon. I usually got 3 days on cotton. I rewick once a week with Rayon whether it needs it or not. Mostly, it's the coil that starts to crust over then and I have to rewick to clean the coil. I don't know how long Rayon would last if the coil could stay nice and clean.

I've heard this before and am sure it's true for some people. OTOH, I have run both in identical coils in two identical atties using the same juice and my coils always gunk up way before anything bad happens to the wicks. And they gunk up after close enough to the same anount of juice through them to call it a tie. The only difference is I put a bit more Rayon in the coils than cotton.

There is something else at play here. The devil is again in the details :D

Asbestos4004

Vaping Master
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Sep 11, 2013
Sugar Hill, Georgia
I've thought about washing rayon wicks, but it's easier to install a new one. Every Rayon wick I remove just has a gray tint where it was under the coil. The rest is clean (I vape mostly unflavored juice or light shades of flavor). Very few of my juices are crud makers. I could wash and dry and recycle, but it's not really worth it. By the time I do that I can cut and install a new one.

I usually run a Rayon wick until it's time to dry burn and clean or replace the coil.

This chart is pretty interesting. It details the qualities and burn points of fibers. Cotton and Rayon are on there as well as most of the fibers we use in vaping.
Fabric Mart :: Burn Test Chart

I guess we've detoured this thread into a Rayon discussion. I'll back off and let people talk about cotton. :)
You should strongly consider washing those wicks. Hear me out....what if you live to be 2,500 years old? When you run out of rayon, you'll wish you listened to me. :lol:

Reactions: stols001

DaveP

PV Master & Musician
ECF Veteran
May 22, 2010
Central GA
I've heard this before and am sure it's true for some people. OTOH, I have run both in identical coils in two identical atties using the same juice and my coils always gunk up way before anything bad happens to the wicks. And they gunk up after close enough to the same anount of juice through them to call it a tie. The only difference is I put a bit more Rayon in the coils than cotton.

There is something else at play here. The devil is again in the details :D

From what I've read, Cotton wicks move juice through the tiny tube-like fibers it's made of. I guess those tubes clog over time. Rayon wicks are also hollow fibers, but somehow move liquid better than cotton. I suppose there's also some surface tension involved in the process in both fibers. Rayon seems to stay cleaner longer.

FWIW, clothing reviewers recommend cotton to stay dry in hot summer weather. I suppose synthetics wick and hold moisture instead of evaporating it.

DaveP

PV Master & Musician
ECF Veteran
May 22, 2010
Central GA
I can imagine your neighbors looking at your clothesline filled with tiny wicks and shaking their head. That might even be considered unamerican and you'll be reported to the FBI.
On the other hand if you lived in Scotland... that's probably what they call the scottish roll technique.

The problem there would be, "How do you hang wicks up to dry and not have a wet spot where the clothespin covered it?". I'm sure there would be a thread where someone explains how. Someone would link to a web site that sold ventilated clothespins with tiny laser created wicking holes.

Vapers are known for discussing subjects till they die out from lack of new info ...

Last edited:
Reactions: stols001
Status
Not open for further replies.

Users who are viewing this thread