Advisory: Metallic blue 801

Status
Not open for further replies.

crazyhorse

ECF Veteran
Apr 17, 2009
Baja Alabama
Yeah, it's a pretty color but the paint is a joke. It is, however, perfect for a truly disposable product since it starts chipping off with the slightest provocation. If you want to do maintenance on your atomizers to prolong their lifespan, it gets worse and you will be in for a surprise.

Initially I used the nu-calgon treatment on two of them and ruined the paint in a few hours. One was so bad it looked like it had been burned in a fire. (Pic posted in the appropriate thread in the experiments with equipment forum)

Since I've proved to myself the nu-calgon method is unproductive in any way, I used a different method to clean two more atomizers. The first step was boiling them in soapy water. This also started removing the paint in sheets.

The silver lining to this cloud can be found by following the boiling with a soak in alcohol. When they come out of the alcohol, what's left of the paint is easily wiped off in a matter of seconds. At this point you have a bright and shiny stainless steel atomizer.

Jim Davis

Vaping Master
ECF Veteran
Mar 16, 2009
Retired in Houston, Texas / USA
Yeah, it's a pretty color but the paint is a joke.

Just keep in mind that when top quality paint, and components are used in manufacturing, the end price goes up.

I look for functional, and not pretty.

Feel fre to send me all of your ugly, and peeling e-cig parts. I'll suffer with them.:rolleyes:

gnsmith

ECF Veteran
Apr 7, 2009
Springfield, Ohio
Just keep in mind that when top quality paint, and components are used in manufacturing, the end price goes up.

I look for functional, and not pretty.

Feel fre to send me all of your ugly, and peeling e-cig parts. I'll suffer with them.:rolleyes:

LOL:lol:

This is the land of opportunity. How's that saying go? Give me your weak, tired, and chipped.

Jim Davis

Vaping Master
ECF Veteran
Mar 16, 2009
Retired in Houston, Texas / USA
As I said, it's quite simple to convert these pieces to a bright and shiny stainless steel finish. So easy it's almost automatic.

Just don't order metallic blue 801 parts and expect them to stay nice for more than a few days.

Like I said, I prefer functional. If anyone wants to get into the pretty end of it, they can start with the custom cases, and pretty juice containers.

raffytaffy

May 18, 2009
Thanks for the heads up.
I suppose metallic red ones do the same thing.
I had my heart set on 801 red attys to semi-pimp my stick.
Wonder if I can bedazzle it :D

lamo. i had my heat set on a blu one....has anyone had problems with the black ones?? i suppose i could settle for that or if all else fails the titanium finishes are pretty niiiice.

crazyhorse

ECF Veteran
Apr 17, 2009
Baja Alabama
I imagine any 801/901 atomizer with metallic paint of any color would have this problem. In reading many hundreds of posts on atomizer treatments, I've never heard of problems with the paint "washing" off of any of the 801/901 parts with non-metallic paint, no matter what type of cleaning treatment they receive..

I've also noticed the blue paint starting to flake off in the area of the coil so I assume the heat transfer from general usage is enough to make the metallic paint unhappy.

The bare stainless steel finish does look nice with the blue battery :D

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users who are viewing this thread