Advocacy After the Fact?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Robino1

Resting in Peace
ECF Veteran
Sep 7, 2012
Treasure Coast, Florida
Most humans react with emotion. A minority are actual debaters that think with logic instead of emotion. Remember this is a VERY emotional situation for many of us. Some learn to put the emotion part aside to consider the logic behind the scenes. Sometimes it takes a while for that thought process to actually come about. I know it did with me.

The emotion stems from the fact that for many of us, this was probably the last time we would try to quit smoking. If this didn't work...... I was NOT going to try again. Then it seemed like a miracle happened and I actually managed to stop smoking. REMEMBER....we are coming from a place where we were told and BELIEVED the ANTZ logic for Years. To change that way of thinking takes a while. Some may never see there might be a different side. Others slowly get it. Yet still others get it immediately.

If pushed too hard, most will get their back up and not listen to anything. Patience and sound reasoning, without dismissing their thoughts out of hand, generally goes further.

We humans are wired for emotion..... I kind of like that though :)

AndriaD

Reviewer / Blogger
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Jan 24, 2014
LawrencevilleGA
angryvaper.crypticsites.com
But for now, I'll just note that 'quitting smoking' I believe is around 80% fueled by ANTZ rhetoric and science that is very mainstream, ingrained in our worldwide culture.

You're right; very few people are prepared to defend any of their choices based on reason. For me, if I wasn't asthmatic, I somewhat doubt that I'd ever have been interested in quitting smoking -- except maybe from an economic POV, and that may soon be a thing of the past if a lot of taxes and surcharges get attached to vaping. Would I go back to smoking if vaping became just as expensive? Probably not, precisely because I have asthma, and family history of several cancers including lung -- but for those who don't have existing lung problems or that kind of family history, it might be really tempting. For those people, I say "more power to ya" and the ANTZ will get what they deserve -- an INcrease in smoking because they've gone to such lengths to remove one of the major reasons to vape instead. It's already happening in NYC, just to judge from the few articles I've read, though that may be because if a person is forced to stand outdoors whether it's a smoke or a vape, many choose to just go on and smoke. During my dual-use phase back in the summer, we went out to dinner for our anniversary; although I was trying very hard to vape more and smoke less -- it was just 5 days before I finally laid the cigarettes down completely -- when I went outdoors after eating, I went ahead and smoked.

Andria

Anjaffm

Dragon Lady
ECF Veteran
Sep 12, 2013
Germany
But for now, I'll just note that 'quitting smoking' I believe is around 80% fueled by ANTZ rhetoric and science that is very mainstream, ingrained in our worldwide culture.

80% maybe.
And the other 20%, the accidental quitters - like myself - will hopefully refuse to be baited.
Have a nice day.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users who are viewing this thread