Why Be Diplomatic with ANTZ?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Jman8

Vaping Master
ECF Veteran
Jan 15, 2013
Wisconsin
Alternate thread title (or question): what benefits come to the vaping community from being diplomatic with our current cause?

Feel free to respond to either question if the words below appear to you as TL;DR

When I say "ANTZ" I generally mean two things.

1 - full blown ANTZ type people that are best identified with Dr. Glantz and his ilk. I think many politically aware vapers know of this type of ANTZ and know who key players are. I also think most of the vaping community thinks of these type of people as what precisely ANTZ are, and same people in the vaping community also realize that the mainstream media is sympathetic to their press releases and propaganda.

2 - everyone or anyone that may express ANTZ-like rhetoric. I observe this can literally include everyone, but because the full blown ANTZ type exist as because MSM will promote that while usually downplaying counter-propaganda, then it is fair to say that there are clearly varying degrees of ANTZ-hood in all people. And is why I was compelled to stipulate first definition with the words "full blown."

I provide definitions because I don't run into full blown ANTZ people all that often, or rather very rarely. While I regularly run into people that will express anti-nicotine and/or tobacco statements that is clearly based on zealotry, and cannot be backed up when confronted. I regularly confront these people (even on ECF) and around 99% of the time, the discussion is so short lived, it is blatantly obvious that the anti-nicotine, or anti-tobacco, or anti-smoking rhetoric is based on lies / propaganda that laypeople cannot defend, whereas I imagine a full blown ANTZ could plausibly defend it in a discussion.

Anyway, when vaping the other day, indoors, in a restaurant / bar, I asked staff for the okay, and their response is "it's not illegal, so how could I say no?" Which is an interesting response as that would theoretically carry over to all places, even while a cordial vaper is likely to ask in most places they visit. Me, I ask in about 60% of the places I go and in certain places, like a hospital, I don't ask because I do anticipate the answer to be no and the rationale to be based on ANTZ rhetoric. I'd be very willing to discuss it with such businesses, but in all cases where I've tried, it became disrespectful interchange (from them) very quickly. Thus, you learn to not always ask, and to vape and not get caught, knowing they can't catch you even if they think they can.

But, this thread is about the many issue besides indoor vaping. If all this thread does is stick to that same old same old ECF debate, I'll do my best to steer it in the larger direction which is WHY PLACATE ANTZ RHETORIC WHEN IT COMES TO VAPING FREEDOMS (or practices)?

I currently see no benefit from it, other than when someone does take the time to engage in respectful interchange. I've encountered that a few times, and yet it seems to be getting more rare as the war on vaping is getting turned up a notch.

But I am open to discussion on why would vaping community be diplomatic (with anyone) regarding vaping issues. There is perhaps a bunch of things to discuss here or perhaps this is only post on this thread. I dunno. I do care, and hope discussion ensues. My current bottom line, for me personally, is I am going to vape what I please, where I please with consideration to people around me, within reason. My disposition in public is generally positive and polite and I'm not about to become militant vaper, though on a discussion forum, I may be a little more militant as my vaping whatever and wherever has no impact on the discussion at hand. If you have reasons that suggest vaping members really ought to be diplomatic going forward, I really hope you can back that up with good rationale. But right about now, in the arena of words and campaigning, I do think we really ought to be more aggressive in our tactics, and ought to be willing to tell (rhetorical) lies / invoke propaganda to get attention.

That vaping as practice and freedom is under attack (in some places) is obvious.
That vaping as practice is being lied about by opposition is obvious.
And that ANTZ will continue to think they can win the war against vaping because they (think they) won the war against smoking is obvious.
That vapers are at times being diplomatic in their desire to appease general members of the public, who utilize ANTZ rhetoric, is IMO, unwise and not working out in our favor, like we might think it could.

So name an issue, any issue, that works against vapers and please tell me how it benefits the vaping community to give in on that issue to placate the ANTZ among us, or within us?

So far, I have not seen how diplomacy is benefitting us when ANTZ rhetoric is so ingrained. Almost everything about our activity is relatively peaceful and our adversaries are not pulling any punches in attempts to make us look like the attackers that are bringing doom to society. I say we (continue to) turn that .... around on them.

Vapenstein

Ultra Member
ECF Veteran
Oct 4, 2010
why is it necessary to vape in places you aren't allowed to smoke?
why is it ok to pollute non-vaper's air with our vape? If I didn't vape I wouldn't want your vape in the air I was breathing, no different than smoking or eating durian on a bus, it's rude.

your whole argument boils down to "why isn't it ok for me to vape wherever and whenever I feel like, regardless of how anyone else feels about it?". Selfish and disrespectful. I can think of nothing that will do more harm to vaping.

Jman8

Vaping Master
ECF Veteran
Jan 15, 2013
Wisconsin
why is it necessary to vape in places you aren't allowed to smoke?

It is not necessary.
One could also ask 'why is it necessary to vape in places you are allowed to smoke' or (IOW) why is it necessary to vape at all?

For surely that second question is being implied within the attacks against us.

I desire to vape everywhere with respect for others.

why is it ok to pollute non-vaper's air with our vape? If I didn't vape I wouldn't want your vape in the air I was breathing, no different than smoking or eating durian on a bus, it's rude.

Or breathing in general. Exhaled air of any sort is 'no different' and therefore rude. Only thing that makes it appear 'less rude' is the necessity argument and/or self serving needs for going about one's business in public places. To which a filter over one's mouth (or arguably everyone's mouth) would be plausibly less rude. Better yet, avoid public places unless able to certify what you are exhaling is entirely harmless. Good luck with that.

your whole argument boils down to "why isn't it ok for me to vape wherever and whenever I feel like, regardless of how anyone else feels about it?". Selfish and disrespectful. I can think of nothing that will do more harm to vaping.

Your whole rebuttal boils down to not understanding what I was actually getting at.

It has as much to do with "why vape flavors" when non-flavors provide suitable experience for vaping?
Or as much to do with "why vape open systems" when closed systems can provide suitable experience for vapers?
Or as much to do with "why favor prohibition to kids" when clearly kids, like adults, would circumvent such control measures and vape despite such measures?
Or as much as other things of which you neglected to understand when I purposively put into all caps for those who would be naive enough to suggest my OP was only about public vaping.

Last edited:

Hitmetwice

Ultra Member
ECF Veteran
Jan 18, 2012
Ontario
No point in diplomacy at all....

So you'd (antz) rather see me continue smoking and die of cancer leaving my family destitute?

So according to your(antz) logic a vaper is just as low as a smoker and needs to be painted with the same brush you've painted all smokers with?

So an ex-smoker that now vapes must continue to expose himself to harmful smoke and must vapourize only in designated smoking areas?

So basically your telling me to "just go away and die, stop bothering me, even though you have no idea how harmful/ hamless exhaled vapour might be"?

So it's been 10 years since vaporizers were invented and we've invested 0 dollars studying it's effectiveness as a smoking cessation aid and hundreds of millions trying to discourage people from using them to quit smoking? (numbers are fictitious of course, but you get the idea.)

So it's been fine that for the last 10 years a 5 year old could walk into a store and buy an ecig that does not contain nicotine because our government hasn't lifted a finger to look into vaping further and set even one guidline?

So now 10 years later after virtually no scientific study you just want to place a blanket ban on everything vaping, even though millions of ex smokers have been successful with vaporizers?

So after sitting back and watching a new industry grow and bloom exponentially in this poor economy, you think it's best to restrict it to death, shut down family businesses, give the rights to distribute the vaporizers to big tobacco and tax it heavily?

So at the end of the day, me trying to quit smoking "by any means necessary" was the wrong choice for me to make, in your mind(antz) because if I'd continued smoking I'd be dead by now and wouldn't be here trying to make you look in the mirror, would that be an accurate statement?

Vapers sure are a strange breed, if they couldn't get their nic fix we'd surely have a revolution on our hands.

They are really, really bad addicts that can't be trusted and would kill us all if given the chance.
(or is that the other way around?)

Maybe it'd be best for everyone if they let us get our nic however we like.
I could go on but I'll spare y'all the rant. Cheers.

caramel

Vaping Master
Dec 23, 2014
meh. vape at home or a friend's, vape in your car, vape at a vape meet or in a vape shop, vape in appropriate smoking areas, vape on the golf course or while taking a walk in the woods. If you're so nicotine addicted you have to keep your levels up (as I am), use snus or nasal snuff everywhere else.

Thank you for promoting tobacco. May I ask if you're affiliated with the industry?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users who are viewing this thread