Status
Not open for further replies.

horton

ECF Guru
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Aug 11, 2010
Left Side of Florida
Have a question for those who are using the RA (Genesis) tank. Has anyone enlarged the air hole? I used a #57 drill and it seemed to make a big difference. Getting a much easier draw and lots more vapor. Also noticed that I don't have to draw as long or hard with the larger hole....duh... guess that makes sense, huh? I'm debating going a size or two larger, but before doing so, I wanted to hear from anyone who may have enlarged the hole. It's sort of like cutting a board..... You can always cut it shorter, but you can't add wood back if you cut too much off. I'm just curious to hear what size holes have been drilled and the results.
Thanks in advance for any replies.....

horton

ECF Guru
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Aug 11, 2010
Left Side of Florida
Thanks Glauserjg, I appreciate the info. I figured there was a point of diminishing returns with the hole size. I want an airy draw, but not just air....lol. 1/16 = .063 = #53 drill size I believe. I'm now at #56, so will keep making the little steps until I hit 1/16.
What happens when you do go larger than 1/16? What is your preferred material and AWG for coils? Just being nosy.....lol
Thanks again for your help........

Dieseler

ECF Guru
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Sep 24, 2011
Illinois
Horton here is a drill chart in mm and in inches already converted. A 1/16 drill bit would be between 1.5mm and 1.6 mm actually real close and just a grey hair under 1.6mm . ; )
Drill Bit Size Chart

Personally i prefer a 1mm and no more than a 1.2mm air-hole size but everyone is different as some like a tighter draw and some like a more airy draw and also the Genesis atty's out there tend to have various size airholes and always good to ask first "if" your buying an expensive Genesis cause it may be to tight or too airy for your own personal use.
Once you find out what size air-hole suits you then your golden.

As for Kanthal i use 32awg and happy with 400 grade mesh in my genesis atty's but again were all different. ; )

horton

ECF Guru
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Aug 11, 2010
Left Side of Florida
I'm just a touch over 1.5mm per that great chart you gave the link for..... thanks for that!!! Gonna save that one. I like an airy draw and hence that larger size fit the bill for me. I don't think I'd go any bigger. Some devices I've tried are like pulling a frozen malt through a cocktail straw. That is a little too tight for me...lol.
I too have settled with 32 awg Kanthal and the 400 mesh. But, I am curious to try the 500 just for snickers. Where will this mesh thing end? I'd swear I saw a reference to 1400 mesh somewhere. It had to be a typo. My big worry is inadvertently causing damage to my VV PV with some of these very low ohm coils. I'm spending quite a bit of time calculating watts and amps. But what the heck.... it's helping refresh my math skills which were never top notch to start with..........lol.

horton

ECF Guru
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Aug 11, 2010
Left Side of Florida
I can't imagine 1400 either. I looked around to see if I could find where I saw the reference to it and no luck, so I'm now convinced I misread whatever I was looking at. If 635 is tissue paper thin, 1400 would probably be invisible.....lol!!! My bad re that reference to 1400. Also I will make sure I have my reading glasses on next time I read posts.

Dieseler

ECF Guru
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Sep 24, 2011
Illinois
I'm just a touch over 1.5mm per that great chart you gave the link for..... thanks for that!!! Gonna save that one. I like an airy draw and hence that larger size fit the bill for me. I don't think I'd go any bigger. Some devices I've tried are like pulling a frozen malt through a cocktail straw. That is a little too tight for me...lol.
I too have settled with 32 awg Kanthal and the 400 mesh. But, I am curious to try the 500 just for snickers. Where will this mesh thing end? I'd swear I saw a reference to 1400 mesh somewhere. It had to be a typo. My big worry is inadvertently causing damage to my VV PV with some of these very low ohm coils. I'm spending quite a bit of time calculating watts and amps. But what the heck.... it's helping refresh my math skills which were never top notch to start with..........lol.

Here is a chart i posted in past in one of Stormy's threads res per inch of wire.
I take no credit as this was something TomCatt posted while back in the modders section that i enjoy.

Kanthal Grade----- A-1 ------ A -------- D ----- Nichrome 60 -------- Nichrome 80

30 awg (Ω/in)----- 0.7 ------ 0.7 ------ 0.7 -------- 0.6 -------- -------- 0.5
31 awg (Ω/in)----- 0.9 ------ 0.9 ------ 0.8
32 awg (Ω/in)----- 1.2 ------ 1.1 ------ 1.1 -------- 0.9 -------- -------- 0.9
33 awg (Ω/in)----- 1.4 ------ 1.4 ------ 1.3
34 awg (Ω/in)----- 1.8 ------ 1.8 ------ 1.7 -------- 1.4 -------- -------- 1.4
35 awg (Ω/in)----- 2.3 ------ 2.2 ------ 2.1
36 awg (Ω/in)----- 2.9 ------ 2.8 ------ 2.7 -------- 2.3 -------- -------- 2.1

horton

ECF Guru
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Aug 11, 2010
Left Side of Florida
Thanks for the chart, Dieseler....... It is really helpful. Don't know why I missed it when you first posted it. Just out of curiosity, wonder how the Kanthal D differs from the Kanthal A or A-1 in performance. I've noticed on FleaBay that many sellers are offering the D type. If memory serves me, there is just a slight difference in the amount of one component between A, A-1, and D. No biggie though..... Stormy has the "good stuff" and I have plenty of it.
The chart was very interesting..... someone must have a very accurate VOM!!!!

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users who are viewing this thread