Airflow controllers, heat sinks, saving your threads

Status
Not open for further replies.

Puttyandnapalm

Verified Member
Sep 1, 2014
Maryland
I've searched and searched but haven't found a thread dedicated to these little gadgets. Ever since stripping the threads on my ipv2, I have tried to be extra cautious when screwing in my atomizers. For the record, I use 4 different subtank minis (1 for each flavor type I like) and 2 UD rda's along with my sigelei mini, ipv2s, ipv4, and my new smy 50. I found these Air Flow Controller w/ 510 thread - MyFreedomSmokes and have been using them, but they look kind of weird being too small diameter. I just bought these heat sinks Accessories | 18650 Fin Base | VaporBeast which look much better but the screw constantly needs adjusting to make contact with the st minis.

I am frequently changing tanks throughout the day, but even the airflow controllers wear out eventually despite attempting to be gentle with them.

I am looking for something else to try that looks decent but will protect the threads on my mods. Any recommendations?

State O' Flux

Vaping Master
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Jul 17, 2013
Seattle
I am looking for something else to try that looks decent but will protect the threads on my mods. Any recommendations?
Not an intermediary, semi-disposable device... but rather a highly conductive, silver based, grease type lubricant. A small dab on a Q-tip, burnished onto the 510 thread, can last for weeks.

MG Conductive Grease.

I get mine from the vendor linked... but you can probably get it cheaper on e-Bay or Amazon.

Reactions: Oregon Linda

edyle

ECF Guru
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Oct 23, 2013
Port-of-Spain, Trinidad & Tobago
I've searched and searched but haven't found a thread dedicated to these little gadgets. Ever since stripping the threads on my ipv2, I have tried to be extra cautious when screwing in my atomizers. For the record, I use 4 different subtank minis (1 for each flavor type I like) and 2 UD rda's along with my sigelei mini, ipv2s, IPv4, and my new smy 50. I found these Air Flow Controller w/ 510 thread - MyFreedomSmokes and have been using them, but they look kind of weird being too small diameter. I just bought these heat sinks Accessories | 18650 Fin Base | VaporBeast which look much better but the screw constantly needs adjusting to make contact with the st minis.

I am frequently changing tanks throughout the day, but even the airflow controllers wear out eventually despite attempting to be gentle with them.

with my 510 threaded toppers I stopped changing them; just left them permanently on.

darkmader

ECF Veteran
Oct 23, 2012
Minnesota
Years ago when my Vamo 1 threading was failing I got the airlow controller from myfreedomstore like you mentioned and I never looked back. It brought life back to the V1 and it's on my V4, Sigelei 30w, Cloupor, and actually just picked one up today for my Evic Mini that I'll be getting too. I don't care if they fixed the center post on newer devices like floating, adjustable, or whatever, I'll always put it on the device because besides the post getting pushed down or messed up it protects the threads on both devices and especially handy if you're a tank changer like I am. For $3 it's a must have little device that gives me a piece of mind.

Reactions: Oregon Linda

Mike 586

ECF Veteran
Dec 6, 2014
Ottawa
Of buy a good mod...

Doesn't matter how good the mod is, if someone is switching devices several times a day (even on SS), it's going to wear and fail prematurely.

The absolute best anyone can do is get a mod with an SS or brass 510 and put a heat sink on with a little Permatex anti-seize (many bases available i.e. silver, nickel, aluminum, copper, etc.) compound and replace the heat sink as their obnoxiously high levels of atty swapping wear them out.

Either that or only buy mods/mechs where the 510 or top cap can be easily replaced.

stevegmu

Moved On
ECF Veteran
May 10, 2013
6992 kilometers from home...
Doesn't matter how good the mod is, if someone is switching devices several times a day (even on SS), it's going to wear and fail prematurely.

The absolute best anyone can do is get a mod with an SS or brass 510 and put a heat sink on with a little Permatex anti-seize (many bases available i.e. silver, nickel, aluminum, copper, etc.) compound and replace the heat sink as their obnoxiously high levels of atty swapping wear them out.

Either that or only buy mods/mechs where the 510 or top cap can be easily replaced.

Really? I change tanks all the time in my mods and have never worn out a 510 connection, and I guarantee you won't find a single case of threads on any ProVari being worn out, but ProVape uses actual stainless steel, not mystery metal...

edyle

ECF Guru
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Oct 23, 2013
Port-of-Spain, Trinidad & Tobago

I don't think that would be the best;
the best sounds like what I have which is a truehybrid setup: nemesis + 3d rda; no 510 interface to worry about.
2nd best is chiyou topcaps permanently affixed to my tanks and screwed directly like hybrids onto chiyou, king, astro or other m21x1 threaded mod tubes.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users who are viewing this thread