Airlock

Status
Not open for further replies.

Icecreamcone

Sep 2, 2014
PA
So I recently dove headfirst into gennys and picked up a nextiny. Building it really couldn't easier other then that tiny negative screw. When it wants to play nice it will vape like a dream. Without the top cap on it'll literally empty the resouvour, but as soon as I get everything together it gets an occas airlock and quits wicking.

At the moment my build is 28g kanthal 5 wrap and 14x30mm of 300 mesh. I'm guessing since it wicks properly without the pressure seel my build is doing its job.

To fill I throw on the afc and top o-ring then fill it up almost to the top. Then I screw down the top cap with the afc closed and let it sit to slowly "depressurize". I get a little leaking from the air flow but not much.

TLDR; what can I do to stop getting random airlocks and a mouth full of death?

Icecreamcone

Sep 2, 2014
PA
Hmmm, i am not that familiar with that tank. With mine I make sure that either the wick is small enough it doesnt block airflow between the upper deck and the tank, or I remove the fill plug if applicable. It may get better as the juice level goes down. Dont know if that helps.

You were right once the juice level starts to go down the wicking does get better. I threw a new wick in this time 13x35mm same 300 mesh. Seems to be doing a lot better. I've also bumped the wattage up a bit, not sure if that's helping but so far so good. Hopefully I didn't just jinx myself...

Collperson

Jan 20, 2016
I have recently been looking into that style of tank so please keep me posted. The center pin and wick hole is kind of a new design. Ive heard good things. What is the resistance of your coil?

The first few times of setting up a genny will be a little trial and error, there are a lot of things that can cause the "mouth full of death" you speak of. Hot spots, airlock, not enough mesh, too much wattage, list goes on. Once you get it you'll know. I am not sure of the maximum width of mesh for your device but you may get some better luck with a wider piece of mesh rolled tighter. Tends to hold more juice so you can take longer pulls and more of them. With my 1/8 wick hole I cram 2.25-2.75 inch wide piece of mesh in them, it takes me about 3-5 min of rolling the wick tighter. Your findings of it working better with less juice probably mean airlock or it could mean the coil is now oxidized where it needs to be and a hot spot has been worked out.

Last edited:

Icecreamcone

Sep 2, 2014
PA
I have recently been looking into that style of tank so please keep me posted. The center pin and wick hole is kind of a new design. Ive heard good things. What is the resistance of your coil?

The first few times of setting up a genny will be a little trial and error, there are a lot of things that can cause the "mouth full of death" you speak of. Hot spots, airlock, not enough mesh, too much wattage, list goes on. Once you get it you'll know. I am not sure of the maximum width of mesh for your device but you may get some better luck with a wider piece of mesh rolled tighter. Tends to hold more juice so you can take longer pulls and more of them. With my 1/8 wick hole I cram 2.25-2.75 inche wide piece of mesh in them, it takes me about 3-5 min of rolling the wick tighter. Your findings of it working better with less juice probably mean airlock or it could mean the coil is oxidized where it needs to be and a hot spot has been worked out.

I'll be sure to keep you posted. So far I'm really liking it. Building a genny has opened a new horizen of vaping for me. I can build drippers and rtas with my eyes closed at this point. The fact I have to experiment and be so hands on with a device has brought a new excitement to things.

As far as the this is going, I don't think it's a random hot spot showing (I mean anything is possible, especially since I have very basic knowledge of gennys right now). I can get through a tank with the occasional dry hit and then refill. Then randomly it'll go dry on me again. A few toots without power later it's back up and running smoothly.

Collperson

Jan 20, 2016
Yea that sounds a lot like a wicking issue. You are probably on the right track. Try a wider piece of mesh next build if you can fit it w/o blocking air holes and it may solve everything. The flavor of a genny in my opinion is second to none from what ive tried. You will not get the cloud like you would from a dripper but you will taste complexities in your juices you had no idea were there and maintain a satisfying cloud. There are a lot of genny veterans on this forum that helped me tons!

Icecreamcone

Sep 2, 2014
PA
Yea that sounds a lot like a wicking issue. You are probably on the right track. Try a wider piece of mesh next build if you can fit it w/o blocking air holes and it may solve everything. The flavor of a genny in my opinion is second to none from what ive tried. You will not get the cloud like you would from a dripper but you will taste complexities in your juices you had no idea were there and maintain a satisfying cloud. There are a lot of genny veterans on this forum that helped me tons!

I tried a wider piece....and you hit the nail on the head so far so good. I had to take a break because I started to get nic'd up but no dry hits yet. 13x40mm at 1 ohm is the sweet spot right now.

Thank you for all your help btw.

I'm really enjoying the flavor off of a genny so far, it's been a satisfying vape. My blowing cloud days ended quite some time ago. Lately I've been playing with tanks and thought I'd give a genny a shot. And it's lived up to my expectations

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users who are viewing this thread