Airport checkpoints

Status
Not open for further replies.

Chrisz946

Jun 9, 2017
I'm new to vaping and my mother is one of those anti everything that she doesn't understand. I've never flown with my vape, and I feel the need to hide it from my mother, flying alone this wouldn't be a problem but she is taking me on a weekend trip. When I go through the scanner do I have to remove my vape from my bag, I know there are some small electronics you don't have to, big thanks.

Reactions: Jdurand

Topwater Elvis

Vaping Master
ECF Veteran
Dec 26, 2012
Texas
I fly frequently & have never tried to conceal any vape gear so I don't know if you ' have to ' remove it from your bag.
All my stuff goes in one of those bins that then goes through the scanner.
Meaning everything is in plain view of anyone paying attention.

No batteries in checked luggage.

Check the TSA & your airlines web sites for clarification.

djsvapour

ECF Guru
ECF Veteran
Oct 2, 2012
England and Wales
Well, who can say.

I have been asked to empty my entire e-cig collection into a plastic tray before going through the scanner.

You cannot allow Li-ions into the hold, so you're gonna need to have an excuse for any batteries in your hand luggage lined up.

The rest can probably be hidden away in the luggage which is going into the hold. Does anyone know who checks those bags? They go down a shute at one airport and arrive on a conveyor the other end. I doubt anything will be looked at other than what they normally do. Does anyone know what they normally do?

A secret process involving machines, x-rays, security staff and sniffer dogs? I guess.

- - -

I think you're going to be OK. If you have loose 18650s in a plastic carry case, buy a few large torches and make up some stories.

Stay calm... it'll be OK. :)

vapdivrr

Vaping Master
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Jul 8, 2012
sarasota,fl
I put my mod and tanks in my carry on . All my batteries are in a box , the plastic boxes they come in when you order them. All my juices also in carry on, but have to be in zip locks. Then I always have one mod on me, this mod is a working mod that's just in my pocket and I put it in the tray to be scanned.

Sent from my SCH-I545 using Tapatalk

BlueMoods

Ultra Member
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Aug 19, 2010
USA - Arkansas
MUST be carry on, If it has removable batteries, the batteries need to be removed and, in a carrying case or, plastic bag, inside your carry on or purse. Liquids, 4oz per container MAX, 32oz TOTAL (Includes shampoo, conditioner, cologne, body was, e-liquid, etc..)

NO Batteries in checked baggage, juice and mods with batteries remove okay to check buy, better if in carry on.

Rumor is that rules are changing in a couple of weeks to ban all electronics larger than a cell phone - no laptops or tablets allowed anymore is the buzz. Even your phone has to be off or, in airplane mode for the duration of the flight, with a few exceptions that do allow in flight calling.

Make sure e-liquid is in labeled containers, preferably store bought labels and, in original bottles. Less hassle and questions that way.

And, I doubt you will be able to hide it and fly with it. May wish to consider slipping out to buy throw away cig alikes for the trip.

BrotherBob

ECF Guru
ECF Veteran
Dec 24, 2014
Sunnyvale,CA,USA
I'm new to vaping and my mother is one of those anti everything that she doesn't understand. I've never flown with my vape, and I feel the need to hide it from my mother, flying alone this wouldn't be a problem but she is taking me on a weekend trip. When I go through the scanner do I have to remove my vape from my bag, I know there are some small electronics you don't have to, big thanks.

"MUST be carry on, If it has removable batteries, the batteries need to be removed and, in a carrying case or, plastic bag, inside your carry on or purse. Liquids, 4oz per container MAX, 32oz TOTAL (Includes shampoo, conditioner, cologne, body was, e-liquid, etc..)"---per BlueMoods is correct last time i flew. The plastic bag must be no larger than a 1 quart bag and must be a zip lock (locking type). Liquid: as many bottles that will fit in a 1 quart zip lock bag, each container of liquid not exceeding 4oz per container.
Dear Summit: Airplanes and Vaping - Mt Baker VaporHow to take ecig through security?Pack Safe – Electronic cigarettes, vaping devices
Might be a good idea to have your mother go in line in front of you, ladies first. Anyone in front of you (and in the back of you to a lesser extent) will be concentrating on what going on and probably be too busy paying attention to the TSA folks.

When I went through the scanner ===========I was body scanned, so you will probably be body scanned.
Your bag will be scanned on a conveyor ------------- Recommend placing your batteries in their proper container and liquids in zip bag, within the closed carry on bag, on top of all your carry on bag contents, so it's right up front. If the TSA folks open it, you want them to see it immediately. My guess is they won't even open it, but you can never tell.
Your mod (w/o batteries) or any other vape related odds and ends can be placed anywhere in your carry on.

JCinFLA

Vaping Master
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Oct 21, 2015
I went through different airports 6 times last summer, and never even had to remove my vape gear from my carry-on. Screeners are getting pretty used to seeing it in the scanner, IMO. Never even had 1 ask about it at all.

Also, unless the size limitation has changed on bottles in your carry-on...the biggest allowed is 3.4oz., not 4oz. But, you can have as many that are that size or smaller...as will fit in that 1 quart sized Ziplock type baggie in your carry-on. There is no total oz./mL limit, just an amount per bottle limit.

For reference - I usually just carry (2-3) 50mL bottles of eliquid or (1) 100mL bottle, which is roughly 3.333oz. For a weekend trip though, unless you go through 20mL+ per day, you wouldn't even need anywhere near that amount.

jseah

Vaping Master
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Feb 16, 2015
Hudson Valley, NY, USA
I went through different airports 6 times last summer, and never even had to remove my vape gear from my carry-on. Screeners are getting pretty used to seeing it in the scanner, IMO. Never even had 1 ask about it at all.

Also, unless the size limitation has changed on bottles in your carry-on...the biggest allowed is 3.4oz., not 4oz. But, you can have as many that are that size or smaller...as will fit in that 1 quart sized Ziplock type baggie in your carry-on. There is no total oz./mL limit, just an amount per bottle limit.

For reference - I usually just carry (2-3) 50mL bottles of eliquid or (1) 100mL bottle, which is roughly 3.333oz. For a weekend trip though, unless you go through 20mL+ per day, you wouldn't even need anywhere near that amount.
FWIW, 120 ml (4 oz) is close enough that you won't get hassled for it. I've traveled several times domestically with full 120 ml bottles of juice and have never been questioned. I've kept all my vape stuff in a ziploc but inside my carryon. They never asked me to take it out.

Sent from my SM-G955U using Tapatalk

JCinFLA

Vaping Master
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Oct 21, 2015
FWIW, 120 ml (4 oz) is close enough that you won't get hassled for it. I've traveled several times domestically with full 120 ml bottles of juice and have never been questioned.

Just because you've never had something bigger than 3.4oz. taken out and trashed, just means you've been lucky to get "not so picky" screeners. I've personally travelled with another person who did have a 4oz. bottle removed and trashed before. The regulations stipulate no more than 3.4ozs.

IMO, it's like speed limits: You can go faster and many times not get caught, but that doesn't change the speed limit that's posted.

stamasd

May 31, 2017
Normally I put all of my vape stuff in a little soft case inside the checked luggage. Except the batteries, which I pack in my carry-on together with all my other electronic stuff (chargers, cables etc). Never had any problem. Juice goes in the checked luggage. I only use small 15ml bottles when traveling (I use concentrated juice, which means I don't use a lot; a 15ml bottle is enough for a week).

Also I usually throw in a small Kanger tank with maybe 1ml of juice in it together with the batteries in the carry-on. That allows me to use it in transit airports if they have a suitable area. Never had any issue with that either, but even if I had to throw that away they're cheap enough to not really matter.

Nermal

Ultra Member
ECF Veteran
Jun 8, 2013
Farmington, NM USA
Might be a good idea to have your mother go in line in front of you, ladies first. Anyone in front of you (and in the back of you to a lesser extent) will be concentrating on what going on and probably be too busy paying attention to the TSA folks.

Excellent idea. In fact, that was my first thought.

stols001

Moved On
ECF Veteran
May 30, 2017
I haven't travelled recently but when I was flying a lot I did vape, though I was still smoking. Never had a TSA agent hassle me but these were really old vape pens, didn't have the major issues (though one time, a screener asked me what it WAS.) LOL, I remember thinking "I have to tell people about this e-cig buisiness" followed by the selfish thought, "The more people I tell, the more likely it is that all my e-cig freedoms will vanish!" (I did tell ppl, though) I've taken vape equipment (in my purse) through security checkpoints for court, etc., other fun places. I typically keep mine in a zip-lock bag in my purse to stop any nastiness (dust, lint, whatever) from getting into the e-cig and the only comment was the screener saying "Oh, it's good that you do that, not enough people do that and just randomly stuff it into their purse." LOL, they did confiscate my jolly rancher stash, stating "No food can be taken into the building." I explained I had dry mouth and they gave me like five, and held onto THAT ziplock bag for me, since I was unaware that dry candy was technically food, though I suppose it is. :)

You know, I interviewed at the State Penn once, (they were looking for therapists) and I screened a vape through that mainly because I had parked far away, and really didn't want to try and sprint all the way there and back.... It passed, no comment, though I'm not sure I'd recommend that one, or working for the State Penn, either. And, their statements about no nicotine even like, cabbage, being allowed in the facility, were pretty draconian.

I've found that being friendly and upfront with your screener pays off. They don't want to mess with you unless they have to, they have plenty of other priorities than making your life difficult unless you are being a major jerk they have far more important priorities.

The liquid thing though? They tend to be quite intense about that, if they so desire, the TSA.

Anna

Train2

ECF Guru
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
May 11, 2013
CA, USA
Everything in carry-on, batteries removed.
But still, it's RANDOM.
Meaning, you don't have to pull anything out of a bag, but it's possible you'll get the 1 screener who doesn't know what the mod is, and wants to pull it out and look.
That's happened like twice out of 100 flights...

Reactions: Eskie
Status
Not open for further replies.

Users who are viewing this thread