Flying With My Vape Gear

Status
Not open for further replies.

wiseowl1

Mar 11, 2013
Cheyenne,WY
I will need to start flying rather than a two day drive with little notice in order to attend to my elderly mom who is in poor health 1500 miles from here. I haven't flown in about 8 years, and I've only been vaping about 2 years, so I have no experience flying with everything I need. I plan on taking my two Fuchai 213W mods, 2 or 3 TFV4's, as much juice in 50 or 30 ml bottles as I can get in a quart bag, about 8 pairs of LG hg2 18650 batteries and my Efest 6 bay charger. I have looked at the TSA regulations, and it looks like I would need to pack my mods, tanks, batteries and juice in my carry-on, but I cannot seem to find out if my charger can be packed in my checked bag or if it has to go in my carry-on with my other stuff. Does anyone know the answer, as well as any advice anyone has about my understanding of TSA's rules that I am wrong about. I would really appreciate it!

sofarsogood

Vaping Master
ECF Veteran
Oct 12, 2014
All your Li batteries should be in carry on no matter what they are for. I flew from Detroit to Newark yesterday. I had two regulated mods with battery installed but the atomizers were removed and the fire buttons disabled with 5 clicks. I carried a spare phone battery wrapped in plastic wrap with a strip of electrical tape covering the terminals. My opinion is loose 18650's should be in a plastic case or silicone sleeve. I didn't carry loose batteries because one mod can be charging while the other is in use. I don't do mechs but if you are carryig those may be the batteries should be in cases instead of the mod. It seems like most vaping injury accidents these days involve loose batteries with unprotected terminals. I'm sure if they charged you for an emergency landing it would be pricey.

djsvapour

ECF Guru
ECF Veteran
Oct 2, 2012
England and Wales
It used to be quite easy. Batteries MUST be in your carry on.
Mods (without battery) and tanks... didn't matter. Liquids were classed as any other liquids, which meant a limit of size (100ml) in hand luggage.
Recently, the 'antz' have been working overtime to scare the airlines and some are beginning to lose their sanity and making crazy decisions.
You will need to check with the exact airline really. There are certainly some who now go beyond the standard policies of your region (UK/US/EU).....
As @sofarsogood says... for your own sanity, put any 18650s in a plastic case or silicone cover.

Reactions: glointhedark

abn75

ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Jul 7, 2014
mobile, al, United States
I carried my charger in carry on with me in oct. Didn't have any problems. Actually carried a full on rebuild kit (wire, cotton, rayon, cutters, sissors, screwdrivers, pliers, tweezers), 4 or six sets of batteries, two mods, a couple of attys and tanks. Tsa never blinked a eye about any of it.

Sent from my SM-G930V using Tapatalk

Reactions: glointhedark

Grimwald

Vaping Master
ECF Veteran
Aug 12, 2012
Lawrence KS
Batteries, either loose or in mods, must be in your carry-on and safely stored in a plastic case or sleeves. Everything else is your decision and can be in either carry-on or checked baggage. Any liquid in your carry-on is limited to 30mil bottles in a baggie (and there is a limit of 100 mil total I think). Other liquid, mods, charger, tanks etc can be checked. I would empty tanks in your carry-on...but you could have a full one in the baggie.

Remember that full bottles and tanks have a tendency to leak due to pressure changes, so leave a bit of room for expansion. I would also recommend that liquid in check bags also be in a baggie due to potential leaks.

Train2

ECF Guru
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
May 11, 2013
CA, USA
Charger in checked bag is OK.
The rest of your plan is solid.
I've been doing so regularly (though a LITTLE less stuff - but a couple mods, a few batteries, and maybe a 50-60ml of juice) with NO trouble.

I will need to start flying rather than a two day drive with little notice in order to attend to my elderly mom who is in poor health 1500 miles from here. I haven't flown in about 8 years, and I've only been vaping about 2 years, so I have no experience flying with everything I need. I plan on taking my two Fuchai 213W mods, 2 or 3 TFV4's, as much juice in 50 or 30 ml bottles as I can get in a quart bag, about 8 pairs of LG hg2 18650 batteries and my Efest 6 bay charger. I have looked at the TSA regulations, and it looks like I would need to pack my mods, tanks, batteries and juice in my carry-on, but I cannot seem to find out if my charger can be packed in my checked bag or if it has to go in my carry-on with my other stuff. Does anyone know the answer, as well as any advice anyone has about my understanding of TSA's rules that I am wrong about. I would really appreciate it!

BrotherBob

ECF Guru
ECF Veteran
Dec 24, 2014
Sunnyvale,CA,USA
My guess is the charger should be no problem where you pack it. The charger is a inert electronic device with no internal power source to my knowledge.

"as much juice in 50 or 30 ml bottles as I can get in a quart bag," If I read the reg correctly, 2 ea quart bags of juice per each piece of luggage.

Thank you all for the good advice. And I always carry batteries in plastic cases. I will also check with the airline for their individual rules.
Might want to put batteries in a separate dish/container (carry on passenger screening) to go through the x-ray, then after x-ray, you can return them to the carry on luggage.

In short, battries and liquid in carry on only. All other gear either check in or carry on.

Last edited:

KenD

Vaping Master
ECF Veteran
Aug 20, 2013
Stockholm, Sweden
kennetgranholm.com
Batteries, either loose or in mods, must be in your carry-on and safely stored in a plastic case or sleeves. Everything else is your decision and can be in either carry-on or checked baggage. Any liquid in your carry-on is limited to 30mil bottles in a baggie (and there is a limit of 100 mil total I think). Other liquid, mods, charger, tanks etc can be checked. I would empty tanks in your carry-on...but you could have a full one in the baggie.

Remember that full bottles and tanks have a tendency to leak due to pressure changes, so leave a bit of room for expansion. I would also recommend that liquid in check bags also be in a baggie due to potential leaks.
Max 100ml bottles, as many as can fit in a one liter zip-lock bag.

Sent from my M7_PLUS using Tapatalk

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users who are viewing this thread