Airy Kayfun

Status
Not open for further replies.

Manxsi

Mar 10, 2014
Isle of Man
I've just got a new kayfun lite clone from a well known Chinese vendor. It's OK I suppose but even with the AFC all the way in its still a very airy draw. The flavour is there and the vapour is all right but there is no resistance in the draw at all. I've tried .3 mm Kanthal, twisted .2mm and .3mm, a .3mm double barrel and even a triple twisted .2 mm coil all at 1.6mm ID but have had no improvement. Reading some older posts it's been suggested that increasing the ID may help. I'm a bit sick of trial and error with the thing so I was looking for an answer as to what effect this will have on the electrical resistance this will have? Will I have to go up or down on the number of turns to keel my resistance at about 1.2 ohm. Any other advice would be very much apriciated.

State O' Flux

Vaping Master
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Jul 17, 2013
Seattle
I use 1.5-2.0mm ID coils quite regularly with KF type attys... and as small as 1mm - large as 3mm. I find the coil diameter has a minimal effect on air flow... assuming the coil is set at a 'typical' height (gap) of 1.5-2.5mm off the positive block.
Now, saying that, we toss out the assumption, so... should you lower the coil closer to the deck and use a larger diameter coil to effectively block the air port/screw... that will reduce flow, but also may very well contribute to a flooding/gurgling condition, via the proximity molecular attraction.

To maintain the same resistance, you would use fewer wraps as you increase ID. As an example, with 28ga (.321mm), to maintain a 1.2Ω resistance previously wrapped 8/7 on a 2mm mandrel, you'd drop down to a 6/5 wrap on a 3mm mandrel... all else being equal.

The paths I'd be most inclined to consider first...
With some clone designs, a longer air flow adjustment screw can be used to effectively reduce the air flow to as little as nil. With others, you can cut off a short section of the plastic 'straw' that tends to come with some spray can lubricants... and fit it into the air inlet to act as a flow restrictor. Easily removed if unacceptably too effective.

Lastly... to make your coil resistance calculations a bit easier and more accurate, click on my first sig line hyperlink. ;-)

Cheers

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users who are viewing this thread