Alien mods

Status
Not open for further replies.

uthinkofsomething

Ultra Member
ECF Veteran
Jun 7, 2015
Toledo, Ohio
Nice! Thank you, I’ve mainly been getting Pre made coils but I do want to start putting my own decks together, any tips or advice?
Look for a cheap rda, super cheap on sale, with a velocity style deck. Two vertical posts, two holes per post. Very common style out there now, easy as pie to build on. I started with a tobeco velocity clone that someone gave me free. Starting with coils, you could just buy prewrapped coils from any place you trust, start with basic coils, nothing fancy, just single round wire, and learn how to install coils without having to learn to wrap then at the same time. I'd recommend 24 or 26 gauge microcoils with 2.5mm inner diameter. Couple tools would be invaluable, ceramic tweezers to tweak your coils while glowing them, wire cutters with a small cutting point, sharp scissors to cut cotton. Oh and cotton or wicking of some sort, need that. I broke down and spent 30$ on a tool kit when i started that had anything you'd want and some wire and wick, also a coil jig included (still pretty manual) and learned how to make coils too. The basics are easy as pie (i like pie...) and it is very satisfying when you build and vape on something that turns out just how you want it.

madstabber

Vaping Master
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Jan 20, 2013
Concoction Creating Cave
I second the Smoant Cylon. All of Smoant mods are solid but the Cylon is their best to date. The only fault I can find with it is the screen that looks best is hard to read because it’s small and I have bad eyes. But even then you can switch to the other readout and the problems solved. So I have to really nitpick to find a problem and it really isn’t one.

uthinkofsomething

Ultra Member
ECF Veteran
Jun 7, 2015
Toledo, Ohio
I second the Smoant Cylon. All of Smoant mods are solid but the Cylon is their best to date. The only fault I can find with it is the screen that looks best is hard to read because it’s small and I have bad eyes. But even then you can switch to the other readout and the problems solved. So I have to really nitpick to find a problem and it really isn’t one.
I'll third the cylon. I have no issue with screen, and only negative, my battery door is a little easier to open than i would like, has not been a problem yet but could be for some ppl.

bigbob2322

Vaping Master
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
  • Jul 27, 2014
    Schiller PK IL USA
    I'm really liking the Wismec Ravage 230

20180317_073258.jpg

stols001

Moved On
    ECF Veteran
    May 30, 2017
    I have a smoant cylon on order, and I'm excited for it. I also have a revenger kit (Vapresso) that I like a fair amount, although I'm not really a high wattage vaper. Well designed mod, drinks battery life a bit if you leave it on.

One of my favorite two battery mods that is less expensive would be the Eleaf Invoke. It provides a good amount of power, is small and lightweight, if you want TC it seems to function decently, although not as precisely as a DNA mod, which if you think you will use temperature control a lot, it might be worth investing in one, although they are pricier. I will say, I like my Eleaf invoke as it's one of the lightest two battery mods I have, and the form factor is great in the hand, without sacrificing build quality. I've dropped it a few times, nothing bad happened.

As far as building, my advice is to start with an RTA or RBA that looks like it will suit your preferences and is single coil. Velocity style decks, as mentioned before, are somewhat easier to build on.

You will need to figure out what wick and wire you want to use. A coilmaster kit can be helpful (it was to me starting out) and contains everything you will need to start building. Steam-engine.org is useful to start trying to calculate builds and resistance.

Take it slow, continue asking questions along the way, watch some reviews/tutorials for what you select to learn how to build and wick them, those are usually helpful. You can also get prebuilt coils if you wish, you will still need to install them. Wicking can be tricky at first, too, but overall everything gets easier, as you start completing the tasks to get you ready for building.. A good place to start might be in the rebuildable atomizer forums, there is a lot of good and helpful information there.

Welcome to ECF and best of luck,

Anna

Status
    Not open for further replies.

Users who are viewing this thread