• This forum has been archived

If you'd like to post a thread, post it here instead!

View Forum

All batteries are not created equal!

Status
Not open for further replies.

eyespan

ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Jul 9, 2012
S.E.A
After getting my cube and subsequantly my provari, I went out to buy some imr 18350s from a hobby shop in town. Checking with my mini and tester the highest the batteries could be charged to was 3.6-3.8 volts. Well they are 3.7 rated so I thought that's normal. It is NOT normal yah. Now with my AWs I get 4.2 fully charged and vape for hours continually before having to change out batteries.

Just for your info guys, get proper batteries. They are not all similiar, no matter what the vendors try to tell you.:mad:

eyespan

ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Jul 9, 2012
S.E.A
Well its actually kinda obvious that diff batteries hold diff charges... should have just stick with aw or trustfire or cgi or .... u get the idea... well just gotta learn from this mistake i guess...cheer up mate

You are right definitely. Bad thing is that the boss of the shop actually compared their batts to AWs and said it was only a matter of branding.:mad:

Good thing is I didn't really trusted him though needing some so I just bought 2 batts. $20, hardly anything to learn 2 lessons.
1. Batteries are not equal.
2. This boss is either a conman or does not know his stuff!

Anyways those AWs are lovely aren't they? :)

Ace of Spades

ECF Veteran
Verified Member
May 13, 2012
masuqot
You are right definitely. Bad thing is that the boss of the shop actually compared their batts to AWs and said it was only a matter of branding.:mad:

Good thing is I didn't really trusted him though needing some so I just bought 2 batts. $20, hardly anything to learn 2 lessons.
1. Batteries are not equal.
2. This boss is either a conman or does not know his stuff!

Anyways those AWs are lovely aren't they? :)

Aw's are the best batts you can ever find around man....trust me! :D

Whoopin

ECF Veteran
Verified Member
May 10, 2012
Borderlands
Where did you get your batteries from?

I remember buying a few batteries from Town as well, and they said that CGI are the A-Grade kind of batteries, whereas TrustFires are the C-Grade kind of batteries. As quoted from the boss:

"We bring in TrustFire batteries for the CheapA$$es"

Which I felt was kind of rude cause I bought 4 TrustFire batteries from them .__.

JIMP-er46

ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Jan 2, 2012
LCMM

I remember buying a few batteries from Town as well, and they said that CGI are the A-Grade kind of batteries, whereas TrustFires are the C-Grade kind of batteries. As quoted from the boss:

"We bring in TrustFire batteries for the CheapA$$es"

Which I felt was kind of rude cause I bought 4 TrustFire batteries from them .__.

So you're a cheapo 4 times over.. JK...!

E cheapo batts don't hold their charges well, can't keep up with constant high current drains, thus lacks e 'oomph'!

I find that AW don't provide me with higher capacity D:

Try going up e sizes. AW 26500 IMR!! 2300mAh. Tuck in yr jaws, guys, cos I saw some mouths went agape! Get a mod that fits that batt and it's two days hardcore non-charging action!

Whoopin

ECF Veteran
Verified Member
May 10, 2012
Borderlands
Rul46; thanks for the advice! However, I haven't got much cash at the moment. Banging on getting a kick and a cube, and in future, I'll get a Hammer :3

Kaz, my 18650 can go up to 3100mAh. Can't remember where I got it from but it works like a gem, but I gave it away to my friend as I had 2x2200maH ones. You can source them from F_stop_lights (not sure whether they are the ones that are selling them)

Ace of Spades

ECF Veteran
Verified Member
May 13, 2012
masuqot
Rul46; thanks for the advice! However, I haven't got much cash at the moment. Banging on getting a kick and a cube, and in future, I'll get a Hammer :3

Kaz, my 18650 can go up to 3100mAh. Can't remember where I got it from but it works like a gem, but I gave it away to my friend as I had 2x2200maH ones. You can source them from F_stop_lights (not sure whether they are the ones that are selling them)

Is it the red Aw or the Black Aw?... cause the 3100mAh ones i get to see are the black Aw's which are protected and another thing they dont have any nipples :/.. if the red ones have higjer capacity then that would be great!... cause they got nipples xD

JIMP-er46

ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Jan 2, 2012
LCMM
Is it the red Aw or the Black Aw?... cause the 3100mAh ones i get to see are the black Aw's which are protected and another thing they dont have any nipples :/.. if the red ones have higjer capacity then that would be great!... cause they got nipples xD

Lemme correct you there, e black AWs have pointy-endy thingies.

E diff is in compound, length & mAh ratings.

E black ones (taller) are lithium ion batts w/ higher mAh ratings. They're protected and hv a pcb on top in case e batt fails. These batts will vent like crazy in e event tt they fail.

E red ones (shorter) are lithium manganese batts w/lower mAh ratings. They're unprotected but hv a safer compound. These batts will not vent like mad; they'll just fizzle out and die.

Guys, for batt safety, pls go to Battery University.

Before you giggle, yes, there's such a place...

On edit:
There are reasons why most choose e IMRs (red AW) over ICRs (black AWs).

1) IMRs output higher current discharge.

2) They're good for mech mods going on LR and pushing e limits to get a "perfect" 10W vape.

3) They're required in most VV mods for optimum performance due to higher current discharge.

4) They won't torpedo, explode etc when they fail.

Downer:
1) Lower mAh rating than ICRs due to e safe compound used.

Add on pls if you find anything else. I read these stuffs online at Battery University before purchasing batts for my old LT in early Jan.

Last edited:

eyespan

ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Jul 9, 2012
S.E.A
Aw's are the best batts you can ever find around man....trust me!

Yah man, second that! High 5!

Somewhere next to peninsular...:blink:

BATTERY UNIVERSITY!!! Would the professor recommend a good vibration and water resistant battery for vibrating devices?:D

JIMP-er46

ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Jan 2, 2012
LCMM
Rul46; thanks again for the great advise.

Time to stock up the chargers and AWs.

And somehow AW reminds me of A&W, they are like fast food chains around Singapore. Or rather used to be. T___T
No problems there, buddy..!

I'll share what I know. I'll try to get as factual as possible so that there's less guesswork going on. One day, most of us who hv been around for quite a while will get tired of doing this (replying and stuffs) and e torch will be passed on to e next line of individuals who seek knowledge and attain them with great understanding. I came in, was introduced to e world of vaping by great individuals - in order of first ctc (I wished I could tag you guys): Muramasa, RCXD, Currynoah, Madhero, Lonely^Driver, codename etc. I went ga-ga over e knowledge that they had; everything was at e tip of their tongues. They gave me tips and tricks e first two mths or so, till I got *embarassed*, didn't want to trouble them and had to research on my own. That was when e real learning started cos it was a matter of self-discovery rather than being spoon-fed info - you learn more when you yearn to learn.

Footnote:
Btw Linkin, you're not e only one, man! First time I heard it, I was brought back to 4 iconic images in this order: e smiling bear, then curly fries, Root Beer Float aaaaand Coney Dog. That was until I knew what e initial pasted on e batts stands for.

Last edited:

Ace of Spades

ECF Veteran
Verified Member
May 13, 2012
masuqot
Rul46; thanks again for the great advise.

Time to stock up the chargers and AWs.

And somehow AW reminds me of A&W, they are like fast food chains around Singapore. Or rather used to be. T___T

Gosh I need their Root BEER FLOAT!!!! HAHAHAHAHA!...I wannntttt!!!...thats they only root Beer i can drink xD

Al.boroto

Verified Member
Aug 19, 2012
Singapore
panasonic.jpg (pls delete if it is not allowed)
i saw this on the net while searching because i want to upgrade to VV.. i am thinking to build a system that will last longer or lets say will save $$ on the long run..

Whoopin

ECF Veteran
Verified Member
May 10, 2012
Borderlands
Something I learnt last night procrastinating from studying. Meh

IMR = Lithium-Ion maganese Rechargable
ICR = Lithium-Ion cobalt Rechargable
IFR - Lithium-Ion Iron Rechargable

IMR is one of the safest compound, some say you don't need a protection of this because you already have "protection" due to the safe compound inside.
ICR = Quite Unstable, you probably want to buy protected batteries for these

ICR are the usual type of LiIon batteries.
IMR has less capacity and can deliver higher current.
IFR is a lower voltage.

High-Drain VS Normal-Drain
Highdrain can provide provide with you about 4.0amp of currents, maybe higher or slightly lower. Therefore, let's say you are using a LR with 4.0V, that's about say 2.5amp. (Not the correct calculations but you get my drift), you won't be over-stresseing the battery. So they last longer and they give you a better hit.

If you are using a normal drain, they are about 1.3Amp of currents, therefore you did be stressing the battery, and they wouldn't last long.

-

Some batteries that are IMR High-Drain come protected. Some other batteries aren't IMR and they are high-drain. However, if your PV (such as LT or Provari or anything with a regulator inside) you shouldn't worry about the over-charging and discharging. I guess?

On a side note.
Rul46: One can never have too many batteries and chargers
so stock them up! :D

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users who are viewing this thread